PDA

View Full Version : Hard to believe

mrmello
11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Ok so I have always done oil changes in my ATC with 5w30 motor oil.

When driving it it seemed like the clutch slipped a bit at first them grabbed and away we go. Never had a problem in the higher gears just 1 and 2.

After doing some reading I have discovered that I have been using the wrong oil :crazy:

So today after some hunting I found Motorcycle Oil, 10W40. So I changed the oil and wow what a difference in the clutch! I cant believe that oil was the issue all along!!.

So for others running motor oil or synthetic in your 4 stroke ATC's STOP!! Seriously, I cant believe the difference.

xxllmm4
11-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Actually you can use motor oil and synthetic oil, the problem is with the friction modifiers in most oil. You can buy shell rotella 15w-40 for $11.50 a gallon at Wal-Mart, they also have a synthetic version for a little more. There has been a lot of postings about people using Rotella for Motorcycles. Shell has actually verified this so it really is safe to use. There are also others out there if you do some research.

Xpress
11-07-2010, 03:27 AM
I myself stick to Castrol 10W-30 for all of my lubrication applications. Always used it, always will :)

Mr_RPM
11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
play it safe and only use oil thats says specifically for motorcycle and ATV use.
Like GN4 and Yamalube

hang&rattle
11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Mr_RPM is right. Did the same thing with my daughters 125m. Now use the Honda oil. Doesn't pop out of gear as much and shifts and runs smoother. I was mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with regular oil, don't work. Strait, expensive, Honda oil for my kids 3-wheelers, the old things deserve that kind of attention. About $19 a month for their oil changes. Also use a cheap $ store octane boost added in gas. Now all of our trikes, my 2-stroke included, idle all day long. The gas is a real problem here, to much water in it, so we get gas in other towns and mix in the boost. Gas and oil are important on these old machines.