PDA

View Full Version : 85 -`86 250r Bearing Carriers?

atcmatt
11-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Are these bearing carriers interchangable? I want to get a double row carrier for my 85 but can only seem to find them for the 86! Will it work for me...

Thanks.

3wheelrider
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Simply-no. You must find an 85' carrier. 86' is alot different. There are "RAD" carriers sold for an 85'. I think lonestar still makes them too. Altho the chain adjustment tabs are NOT improved over stock on the RAD. Also,- the RAD carrier has a grease fitting for the bearings too,- but you can only get to it to grease it by removing your rear brake caliper, loosening the big axle locknut ass.& move brake hub over to the right, sliding your axle over to the left, sliding your carrier out 3/4 of the way back out (to the left) to reach it. Its a pain.. But if you grease it every year or so you should have long bearing life. I got my Rad carrier about 6 years ago for my 85' 250r and still have no play at all in the bearings. I grease it tho 1 or 2 times a year.

atcmatt
11-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Is the double row much of an advantage?

3wheelrider
11-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Well there is more surface area (wider bearings)- distributes the load to the axle a little better which helps lessen the load/shock to the bearings. In turn,-the bearings last longer. I'm still not sure tho why its called a "double row" carrier.

atcmatt
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I thought it had two bearings either side, not a double wide one, hence the double row.. Not sure though. Thanks for that mate. Ill have to look for a 85 one. The 86 wont work because of the swingarm dimensions or the axle?

Preddy05
11-07-2010, 06:00 PM
The 86 carrier has a bigger Diameter so it would not fit inside the 85 swingarm.

3wheelrider
11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I thought it had two bearings either side, not a double wide one, hence the double row.. Not sure though. Thanks for that mate. Ill have to look for a 85 one. The 86 wont work because of the swingarm dimensions or the axle?

Thats what I thought when I bought my RAD carrier.....Thought there was 2 on each side -but its just 1 on each side- each slightly wider than stock (its not double wide). But it is an improvement over stock. False advertising I guess.....The 86' carrier dont work cause its bigger diameter and the width of the adjustment tabs is wider on 86'-as PREDDY05 said.