PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas about pistons?

1985atc110
11-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Hey guys, first of all let me say that I have been on many forums.....Jeep, diesel, speed, etc. and I have to say that the folks on this forum are the nicest, most sincereley helpful people I have EVER been involved with. No arguing, bickering, putting eachother down, being rude to newbies with the SAME eternal questions.....

Down to business- I am slightly off forum here, but I have a 1981 Honda CR125R in really good shape that I freed from someones shed. I am wondering what your experiences are with piston manufacturers, any recommendations, and any cheap sources. I will probably go with a Wiseco, but I wanted to hear from anybody with any new expereicens or ideas-I am more than willing to try a new company, since Wiseco stuff is ridiculously priced, and I speak from an automotive engine rebuilder point of view, they just seem to be a little big for their britches. And they don't even include rings with the piston anymore!!!!!

I will also need to rebuild an 83 atc185 with a busted engine, so I will be purchasing parts for that as well.

I'd love to hear your ideas>>>>

TheRealFatShady
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I've seen some REAL cheap atc 200/185 wiseco kits with rings on eBay. Not sure about the CR125.

I'd say go Wiseco over Namura. Heard many times that Namura's are junk, and that's why they're so cheap.

ktmbk
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I usually try to go oem honda when size allows, If you have to go with a larger piston than what is available from honda, I usually use weisco, yea they got expensive, Sometimes you can shop around for a good discount. Lately I have been getting my oem parts here:
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/Honda.aspx

Yamaha_Rules69
11-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Sudco pistons are good to use as well. They are the same as factory pistons, a cast piston. It wouldnt be uncommon to find one for under 60 dollars for a new one, on ebay most likely. Sudco is the same company that makes the mikuni carburator, so they are not some junk brand. A weiseco piston is forged, so the pison is a lot harder than the cast pison, like oem.

andrew j hyman
11-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi If you email me Honda part # i can check to see if i have any in stock Also can check Hondas Warehouse too

Mr_RPM
11-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I used a Numara 11:1 piston in my 400ex and it worked great. only had it for a few months but for the time I used it I had her screaming all day long.