PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your tecate kxt 250 rear end assembly?

ADOR
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I am looking at getting a 1984 (or similar year) complete rear end assembly for my tiger project. I have a 84 rear carrier housing right now and it looks like it will fit but will need spacers between the carrier and the swing arm. How tough and how well do you like your tecate rear ends? Thanks (pictures below of what i am working on)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1159/5147381880_c579d56337_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/5147381876_15c1fc1d5d_b.jpg

dcreel
11-04-2010, 08:25 PM
tough as nails, easy to adjust chain tension, parts available from all balls to rebuild it. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree, the rear ends are pretty tough. I managed to destroy a axle carrier on my 84 tecate, but I was constantly hitting a big jump on a woods ride. I had axle extensions on it, and on the last jump, landed a little too hard on the right side. I think the extenders added extra leverage, and the bearring shattered on me. Upon teardown, I found that the inside of the carrier was severly worn, and the bearrings wernt sitting flat aginst the stop, they were sitting at an angle. I know you can also buy a BOSS racing setup - I dont know if it is dual row carrier or not, but they do make them for the 84-85. I have seen them on ebay. Is your carrier mounted backwards? I I know on my tecate, the brake is on the right side. Also, a thing to keep in mind if you are using the tecate rear brake caliper, if you use the 84 carrier, you can use a 85 caliper, but you have to make sure you use the mount that the caliper slides on from the 84 - the mounts will swap out between the two calipers, but the 85 mount is wider.

hang&rattle
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
^I'm with dcreel and Rules69, mine are stock on my 85' and I don't need to change them (yippee!). I have a spare axle/carrier assembly (84') and the bearings are good in that one too. And ya, adjusting the chain is a piece of cake. Designed and engineered as they should be. Plus the hardware, the brake assym., axle, etc., are solid and built well if that's a route needed to maybe take in your Tiger build temporarily.

ADOR
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Is your carrier mounted backwards?

Yes right now it is mounted "backwards". But that is because a Tiger 250 the drive sprocket on the engine is on the opposite side, so that puts the rear sprocket and brakes on opposites sides. I have a tiger axle, rear disk, caliper bracket but missing a lot of of other parts. That is why i am looking at using this complete axle assembly. I may have to cut off the disk brake bracket and reweld it at a different location. This is the closest thing to a tiger set up i could find.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I wish I could find a Tiger in my area that I could afford. I have a feeling my day is coming, and sooner or later I will find one for cheap. They were made in Minnesota after all, so where are they all hiding?
I am still kicking myself for missing out on an 86 Tecate, that was complete, looked good, and ran before the flywheel and stator went bad. The price it sold for? $175!!!! I was unemployed at the time, and just been blessed with a son, so no cash or time to scoop it up. Bummer.
Keep up the good work on the tiger, and keep us informed with more pics.

ADOR
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I wish I could find a Tiger in my area.

I was very lucky to get mine. I talked to the owner for a while before he decided he wanted to sell one.

Well just got this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200529111517 This should get me set up on the rear end. Thank you all for you input on this rear. Now i just got to figure out what rims for the rear and maybe a set of extend hubs. My goal this time home is to make this into a roller. I got to get the ft end re mounted. I have the wide ft end and also got a 1981 first gen Honda 250 ft disk hub and axle to see it it will fit, if not i hope it will fit my 185s as a upgrade to what i have now on it.

dcreel
11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
The 84 hubs like the ones you bought are 4/4 spacing. You can find wheels on Ebay and you can use alot of Polaris wheels. The other option is 85 hubs which are 4/156 and open up a few more options for wheels such as 89-90 Banshee rear wheels.

Here is a link to the wheel application chart.

http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_wheel_chart

Good luck on the build, and keep us posted.

ADOR
11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Good luck on the build, and keep us posted.

Thank you all for your help and opinions. I plan to start a build thread on the tiger here shortly. Just trying to get most of my parts here. I got some 10 inch rims on the way too for the 85 pattern. Just have to get some 85 rear hubs too.

scooterroo
11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
well i like the t3 rear end setup. nice and simple and easy to work on imo. wish there more choices out there for aftermarket goodies like extended swingers or axles, but wheelspacers make up for the axle, and i do have a franks swinger on my 85, so im happy. i started tinkering with an idea that came to me while sitting out in the garage, i have the extra parts just lying around and taking up space, so if things go the right way, i might have a billet dual row bearing carrier with grease zerk fitting on it, which will except a few different brand extended axles and solve that problem though. not letting the cat out of the bag just yet incase it doesnt work, but from what i was seeing tonight, it just might. when and if it does work, then i will post something up on it. could be an easy mod for us t3 owners and give us a chance at some axle choices.

cr480r
11-08-2010, 02:21 AM
IMO the carrier setup is a major weak point on a tecate.. the assembly is very heavy.. the course splines and hubs are prone to wear..sprocket hubs are almost always sloppy.. extended axles are somewhat rare and overpriced.. the carrier design has alot of flex.. the adjuster bolts like to come loose.. the '84 brake calipers are garbage... and niether of the bolt pattern options are popular for atvs.. the 4/4 pattern is typical golf cart junk, and the 4/155 pattern only allows 10" wheels..