PDA

View Full Version : 84 200X shock replacement/exhaust questions

Xpress
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I have been looking around for a good modern day equivalent to a 200X shock. I know I can just hop onto ebay and buy a nice rebuilt one, or a good condition used one, but I wanted to see if there's anything out there off of a quad or something that will just bolt right in.

Mine is sluggish on the return, so it's leading me to believe that it needs a rebuild.

Also, my Cobra exhaust needs to go. It's too loud, and the neighbors are starting to take notice. Anybody know of a good performing silencer system?

goump1995
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Just use the Stock 200x exhaust. My friend uses an old Supertrap exhaust and it's very quiet , if you can find one for a decent price, get it.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
You say your rebound is too slow on the shock - a couple things to consider. 1.what is you rebound adjuster set at (dial on bottom of shock) you will see it if you look down where it bolts to the swingarm, and there is an arrow on lower shock above the dial to show what setting you have it on. The dial has 4 different settings. 1 would be the fastest rebound, and 4 would be slow. You would want to set it to 4 if you are doing a lot of jumping, and going over whoops, as you wouldnt want a fast rebound. For general trail riding I would recommend a 2 or 3. I dont know what 1 would be used for.. 2. If the seal isnt bad on the shock (oil around chrome shaft) It could probly use a re-charge of nitrogen. I believe the cap on the ressy is removable, but have never had one apart on the 200x. You should be able to bring thr shock to a bike shop, and they can re-charge it for 5-10 dollars if they arent trying to rip you off.

Xpress
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
The adjustment collar on the shock is just below halfway down, and there's no leaking oil on the shock. It compresses mostly when I sit on it so it tends to bottom out on a somewhat high jump. The forks are good though. I may have to recharge it, the xr shock I just sold had WAY more rebound in it.

I still don't know what to do about the exhaust. I kinda shoved the inside of the cobra back into the housing, and then used a hammer and wood block to close up the end of the housing a bit. Still really loud. I was looking at some stock exhausts and it looks like they go for about $40 on fleabay in lightly used condition.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I didnt mean adjustment collar for the spring, I meant the rebound adjusting screw. It is located on the lower part of the shock. Here is a pic of what I am talking about - look at the last pic (3rd one) of the 200x showing the swingarm. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?102743-Got-a-new-200x-w-lots-of-upgrades-need-help You see the black dial near where the shock mounts to the lower swingarm- that is the rebound adjuster. Good luck.

Xpress
11-05-2010, 10:09 PM
OHhh, the little dial inside of the shock mount, right?

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/9117/img3912.jpg

It's right inbetween 2 and 3, so I should twist it to 2 then? I like jumping, trailing, punching it over bumps, and general sideways shenanigans, if that helps.

Today I played around with compressing it, and if i go all the way down, it will go back up quickly, but the last inch or so it slowly goes back up. It's fine for jumping up to a couple feet up, but otherwise I can feel it begin to bottom out.

shortline10
11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
A heavy duty aftermarket spring is what you need .

OHhh, the little dial inside of the shock mount, right?

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/9117/img3912.jpg

It's right inbetween 2 and 3, so I should twist it to 2 then? I like jumping, trailing, punching it over bumps, and general sideways shenanigans, if that helps.

Today I played around with compressing it, and if i go all the way down, it will go back up quickly, but the last inch or so it slowly goes back up. It's fine for jumping up to a couple feet up, but otherwise I can feel it begin to bottom out.

jb2wheels
11-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Maybe the problem is it's between 2 & 3 and needs to be either 2 or 3 or right on one of the numbers? I'm not sure how the 200x shocks are set up internally though.

Xpress
11-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I played with the knob a little bit, and set it between 1 and 2, and that for sure feels a lot better on the rebound, but I still think it needs to be rebuilt, or recharged.

WilliamJ
11-06-2010, 08:06 AM
As Shortline says, if you are bottoming out on jumps you need a stiffer spring. Or maybe just a new spring - they get tired.

The shock is supposed to damp the action of the spring. You shouldn't try to make the shock stiffer tomake up for a weak spring, it'll muck up the ride.

Bill

ATCrider42
11-06-2010, 10:35 AM
As anyone noticed really nice mono-shocks on ebay selling for $10-$50?? There was an almost brand new OEM mono shock that had incredibly low hours that sold for $55. Another nice monoshock I saw sold for $10. I have a spare mono shock that I'll use for parts when I need to. So my advice, go buy a new one, they're out there. The nice thing is that it'll take you like 30 min to replace it, too.
But as for the monoshocks selling for so cheap, WTF? These shocks just must rarely need replacing.....I dunno. My 200x feels really good in regards to the rear suspension. This other 200x I looked at recently felt like an old mattress when I sat on it. It was so bad I just laughed and bounced up and down on it like a trampoline. I thought about buying it for parts but the guy was so weird. I asked him if it would start and run and he said "I'm selling it AS IS for $600." Fu*king Dumass

Xpress
11-06-2010, 01:43 PM
The only times I bottom it out (or rather it feels close to it) is on a high jump, such as higher than 2 ft, but it seems like it should handle that no problem. After adjusting the knob, I went out and. Jumped a few times, and it certainly feels a bit better, but not like i am expecting.

shortline10
11-06-2010, 01:51 PM
The only times I bottom it out (or rather it feels close to it) is on a high jump, such as higher than 2 ft, but it seems like it should handle that no problem. After adjusting the knob, I went out and. Jumped a few times, and it certainly feels a bit better, but not like i am expecting.

Sounds like your spring is sprung/lazy LOL at 2' it shouldnt bottom out that easy unless your nose diving .

Xpress
11-06-2010, 01:57 PM
No nose diving, I try to land on all 3 or with the rear wheels first.

Also, does anyone know how the stock exhaust performs comparing to a performance exhaust, like a supertrapp or dg?

Yamaha_Rules69
11-06-2010, 02:40 PM
The supertrapp or dg pipe will add noticable gains, but at the expense of noise(better exhaust flow). The supertrapp is quieter than the DG, if you leave enough of the changable discs in. I like the supertrapp in the sense that you can fine tune the pipe to make a little more power where you want it - lower end power, mid, or top power by simply adding/removing discs. I think the original supertrapp pipes are becoming harder to come by, where as the DG is new. I personally have a Bassani system on my 200x, and I love it. I re-packed it, but it is still pretty loud, so I wouldnt recommend it if noise is an issue. The bassani is deffinatly a mid/top end gain pipe. Good luck!

Xpress
11-06-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't mind something that's louder than stock, but I just don't want something that will make everyones ears bleed when i hit the gas.

I went down to a couple jumps today, and was hitting them as hard and fast as the trail would allow me, and I figured that perhaps it was the rebound adjustment. I played with it a bit too, and found that right in-between 1 and 2 is the spot I liked the most. According to a friend, I was getting close to 3 feet of air :naughty: YAMAHONDAMAN

Felt pretty great actually, but I am considering going with a heavy duty shock shortline has :)