90crazy
11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Recently picked up this hard to find piece:naughty:

dcreel
11-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Awesome.. Now figure it out, so I can fix mine. :D

czlou
11-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Great find! I wish the one i found was in as good of shape as your's. The bracket is cut and welded to a dickerson frame. A real hack job. czlou

90crazy
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Now I'm wondering where I'm going to find replacement brake pads for it..... The caliper says hurst on it.

Vealmonkey
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I now have one of those disc brake set ups on a trike I just purchased. Mine is installed wrong though. I may know where to get those brake pads. They are Hurst/ Airhart calipers which were used alot on the old chopper of the 70s as well as older go karts. I have to check a couple different spots, but those are the directions that you want to head in as far as looking for replacement pads. You may have to end up custom cutting some brake material and regluing them yourself or you may want to check with your local mom and pop auto parts store and see if anyone is offering service to redo old brake shoes. If they do, they should be able to reglue material to old brake pads as well.

90crazy
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I now have one of those disc brake set ups on a trike I just purchased. Mine is installed wrong though. I may know where to get those brake pads. They are Hurst/ Airhart calipers which were used alot on the old chopper of the 70s as well as older go karts. I have to check a couple different spots, but those are the directions that you want to head in as far as looking for replacement pads. You may have to end up custom cutting some brake material and regluing them yourself or you may want to check with your local mom and pop auto parts store and see if anyone is offering service to redo old brake shoes. If they do, they should be able to reglue material to old brake pads as well.
Thats great info. Let me know if ya find anything! I'll do the same.

dcreel
12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Mine is so hard to adjust. If you adjust it to where it should be, the rear brakes drag. If you loosen them so the brakes don't drag. It barely stops. There is quite a bit of pad there. It seems as though the caliper moves quite a bit when the brakes are on. They may be glazed..

Vealmonkey
12-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Are you ready for this?????
http://www.airheart-brakes.com/cal-mb1.html
I think we may be in business here!!!! Even though the caliper is slightly different, I think the pads may be the same. Or maybe you can write them and see if they have the pads or can make a run. Crazy eh?

Vealmonkey
12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
If you look under the "parts sheet" section, it lists all the parts to rebuild these calipers. Caliper mb 1!!!! Patting myself on the back for this.

90crazy
12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Hahaha! That's good stuff! About a half hour from me too! thanks

Vealmonkey
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, If you buy the place out, save me a set of the rebuild parts and a set or 2 of the pads. I was just looking at my new trike in the living room and it's the same caliper set up, just with a different mount.

90crazy
12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, If you buy the place out, save me a set of the rebuild parts and a set or 2 of the pads. I was just looking at my new trike in the living room and it's the same caliper set up, just with a different mount.

When do I get to see pictures of this new trike?!

Vealmonkey
12-01-2010, 10:44 PM
You've seen it before. It's MyMints Ragin' Runt. I'm trying to figure out how to do pics with my new camera and I can't find on my computer how to link where the pics are stored with the new software to be posted on here. LOL

dcreel
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
That's great news!! Time to rebuild a caliper..

Vealmonkey
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok, Ok, save me some parts too! LOL I don't know if they have the brake discs to work with these as well or not, didn't really look into that. But hopefully the brake discs won't be too hard. Speaking of brake discs, I have to pm HondaHarry about some brake discs. Doh!

90crazy
09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
It's been awhile and wanted to refresh this thread since I saw vartiak is looking for info on these. The next build I do, will have a disc brake setup on it. Got a gold JSC and all the parts including handle bars, bearing carrier, six pack rack, BAPP triples, wheel hubs, etc... are already powdercoated gold.:cool:

vartiak15
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
What size is that rotor...