PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Yamaha 225DRS - Breaking up on full throttle! Need expert opinions!

IronBear
11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Hello,

I'm having some carburetor issues with my 225DR. It seems like it is running on the lean side where it's cutting out on top end. To date, I throughly cleaned the carburetor and made the necessary adjustments with no such luck.

I was told that the stock carburetor for the 225 is on the small side, so I'd like to upgrade the carburetor, so with that said, which type of carburetor can I upgrade too?

Thank you for your answers.

IronBear :)

Xhumeka
11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Does it seem like it's starving for fuel when it cuts out? Maybe you have a fuel line clog - try removing the fuel line from the carb, route it into a container and open the petcock to ON or Reserve - watch how fast the fuel flows out... is it trickling or a nice solid stream?

If it's a nice solid stream, check your venting on your gas cap... perhaps the vent is clogged? I ran a machine without the cap once for a short period (make sure your tank is not full ;) to diagnose a clogged gas cap vent.

IronBear
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Does it seem like it's starving for fuel when it cuts out? Maybe you have a fuel line clog - try removing the fuel line from the carb, route it into a container and open the petcock to ON or Reserve - watch how fast the fuel flows out... is it trickling or a nice solid stream?

If it's a nice solid stream, check your venting on your gas cap... perhaps the vent is clogged? I ran a machine without the cap once for a short period (make sure your tank is not full ;) to diagnose a clogged gas cap vent.

I already pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and set the petcock on, and there is a steady stream of fuel coming up. But I never thought of checking the vent for the gas cap. I'm going over to the garage this weekend so I will check it out.

Thank you for the tips!

Xhumeka
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I already pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and set the petcock on, and there is a steady stream of fuel coming up. But I never thought of checking the vent for the gas cap. I'm going over to the garage this weekend so I will check it out.

Thank you for the tips!

Well, it's probably not the issue if you were getting a steady stream of fuel (unless the gas cap was removed when you tested). I thought I would check though, sometimes the easiest/most obvious solution is the answer!

Good luck, keep us posted!