PDA

View Full Version : 225 DX Tranny Question

Six Stroke
11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
A friend of mine is looking at a 225 DX, and it seems to be an all-around solid purchase. Original owner, great shape, $300. The problem, though, is that the owner said sometimes when you shift up from first, it skips second and goes into third. You can downshift it again into second with no problem, and he says it is "just its thing."

What's the verdict? Shift fork issues? Something out of adjustment? A serious problem?

Yamaha_Rules69
11-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Its pretty hard to say. It could be the external shift mechanism under the right side case cover, there could be wear on the star on the back side of the shift drum, or on the fingers of the mechanism, or it could be an internal problem in the transmission, such as a worn shift fork. It could possibly be somthing simpler as well, like out of adjustment on the clutch screw, or a loose foot shifter.

muthey
11-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I would still buy it for 300 is a steal even if there is a slight tranny problem most of the 225 parts are still available from yamaha the only issue I have with mine is that I have to be on the throttle a lil when I down shift. I had to change my shift lever out as it was stripped, not a really sound lever in my opinion but it was kinda beat to hell before I got it, so probably was preexisting

Frankencelery
11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, that's still a good deal, I'd snag it.

bobotech
11-02-2010, 10:27 PM
i would snag it too.

Six Stroke
11-03-2010, 08:15 AM
He seems a little divided now, since he found a running blue YTM 200 chain for $275. I guess I'll see how it plays out.