PDA

View Full Version : Winterization / Storage Tips?

Rockman
11-02-2010, 01:06 PM
We will not be going up to our cottage up north much over the winter time and right now do not have the space at our house to bring the 2 atcs (83 Big Red 200e and 84 Big Red 200es) back for the winter.

So, needless to say they are going to sit for a couple months without being ridden.

What are some of the best tips for an extended storage time (i.e.-6 months)?

Fill gas and put stabil in or drain tanks entirely?

Spray fogging oil into the cylinders, etc.?

Do not let tires sit directly on concrete but put on cardboard, etc.

Any tips you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RM

squirrel1182
11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
me personally id put the back end up on blocks so tires are off ground and put front on something so its off the ground. (in case any slow leaks so your tire doesn't get cracked from sitting) Then id put some oil(just regular motor oil) in cylinder and pull it a few times to get it spread around.

tri again
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
We use ours for fire suppression and medivac so a good solution is pretty important to us, altho we have no real good answers so far.

I like to run the carbs dry. Shut the gas off and let them run out of gas... crack open the float bowl drain too.

Still had some sticky residue in one doing that so I'm testing running a little marvels mystery oil into the empty. carb thru the fuel line and see how that one fares in the spring.

They also say stabil or seafoam in the gas is the simply answer. DC and a few others say keep the tanks full. Full tanks can look factory brand new after years if they stay full and don't go thru temp changes to accumulate moisture,
What concerns me about that is IF they do leak, either thru the shut off or an invisible pinhole that appears, where is the leaking gas going to go?

In the gravel in the shed? Spread out across a concrete floor?

I put metal garbage can lids under them so it can evaporate if they do drip slowly.

I've pulled, drained, dried tanks and sprayed them with wd or similar and hang them by the woodstove and they still seem to flash rust if they cycle from cold to hot a few times.

Empty, dry and fill with nitrogen or carbon dioxide from a welding shop?

Wish I knew.

Old timers say to fill or top them off with a blast of propane to displace the oxygen but that sounds a little too extreme.

I winterize about 30 different machines every winter and still don't have a good answer, except to run a few all winter and hope I don't have to tear down too many carbs in the spring.

Better suggestions are appreciated.

Owners manuals actually have a chapter devoted to that.

AJZ_200X
11-02-2010, 10:51 PM
For winter storage, being a Michigander, I usually make sure that the trike is off the ground so that the tires dont get "flat spots," cover the rear exhaust pipe with a plastic bag and wire meshing (to avoid mouse, bug nesting etc.), and fill the tank with gas neutralizer (stay-bil) and run until its through all fuel lines (5-10min.). I usually try to store with less gas in tank to avoid any rusting and to prevent any bad gas come spring. Starting it up from time to time is always good too - engine fogging can be performed if you feel its neccessary. I have researched these methods for a while and found these steps to be the best for me. good luck

zppeacock
11-03-2010, 12:52 AM
I dont do anything with all the stuff in my sig. I keep gas in them and start them every month. I have had no issues over 3 years.

MTS
11-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I leave them full of 91...No ethanol...Never had a problem with the sleds, and it keeps the steel tanks from rusting...6 months is nothing...6 years is another story.. Take the battery out and put them on a Battery tender.../smart trickle charger Best thing in the world...Keep em good as new....Hose the tires with some silicone spray...and cover em up if there outside. Grease anything you can...and lube up the chain.

Xhumeka
11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I change the oil and oil filters so the bike rests the winter with unspoiled oil in it... then come spring I just ride!

I fill the gas tank to the top, then turn off the petcock and run it dry. Open the carb bowl drain to ensure nothing is left in there. Come spring, I drain the gas from the tank into my lawn mower's jerry can, and replace with fresh fuel before starting.

Remove the battery if your trike has one, and leave it on a battery tender for the winter. If you don't have a tender, hook it up to a charger every other month to top it off.

I don't bother lifting my trike off the ground, but I do roll it around every other month or so (if I'm not riding it that is). If it was being stored in a location where I can't access it for months at a time then yes, I'd lift it off the ground as well.

I also give the machine a thorough washing, then lube the chain and spray most metallic surfaces with WD40.

I also try to clean my air filter before storing, so come spring I can just lube it and ride!

Be sure to check your coolant - if you live in an area that freezes be sure you have antifreeze in the coolant. If the trike is new to you and you're not sure, flush the system and replace with coolant of your choice!

JayBone
11-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd drain the tank and then start it with the choke on. WD 40 in the tank. That's all i would do. Limit your combustion potetial if you aren't going to be there.

Jerm1179
11-03-2010, 12:46 PM
your tank will rust if its empty....even if wd40 bombed it will flash when moisture condenses from temp changes

JayBone
11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
did not know that

Silverado
11-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I always keep the tanks full and run the Carbs dry. I keep the machines in the garage so I have never had to keep them off the ground but I can see the benefit in having it off the ground. I use Sta-Bil in the tanks and that works fine, I never have a problem starting up in the spring. I also run the machine in the winter now and then....but that is just because I miss the smell and sound.

I like the tip about some mesh to prevent mouse and critter nesting !

Dirtcrasher
11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I ride them in the winter........

Lawnmowers/whackers get fuel stabilizer and this year a bit of diesel (hopefully to combat this ethanol crap......)

I have all plastic or coated tanks so I don't top them off either.

We've all found trikes in the woods that had no attention and they run 10 years later. I've never put oil in my cylinders....... Only if it's apart.