PDA

View Full Version : my very rough 85 200x

RDH/86200X
11-01-2010, 01:45 AM
well today me ad my brother started working on the 85 x and it actually started up and ran for about 15 seconds this is after sitting in a field long enough for a hedge tree to grow up threw the swingarm in front of the rear skid plate but anyway it may not look like it but it has alot going for it and im very glad it fired up but i think it is going to need rings but that doesnt upset me to much its a project will post more pics tomorrow will try to update as the x progresses

have a good day
ryan

Jeepermc
11-01-2010, 01:51 AM
That's insane that it fired up! Congrats!

mrmello
11-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Would love to find a project like that here, but never do :(

RDH/86200X
11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
ok well here are some pics of the tree that grew threw the swinger and the front fender that came on it but it doesnt look like a 200x fender anybody have any ideas what this fender is off of

this is a list of parts that i curently know i will need rear axle and hubs rear sprocket and mount rear brake disc and mount new bearings front and back plastics and some bolts here and there also what is the best method to clean out a rusty tank the one that came with it has no dents but is very rusty inside any help would be greatly appreciated

Jerm1179
11-01-2010, 01:10 PM
billygolightly is selling stainless swingarm bolts for 50 bucks...amazing deal new bolts are damn near 90 bucks and arent stainless!

TheRealFatShady
11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
ok well here are some pics of the tree that grew threw the swinger and the front fender that came on it but it doesnt look like a 200x fender anybody have any ideas what this fender is off of

this is a list of parts that i curently know i will need rear axle and hubs rear sprocket and mount rear brake disc and mount new bearings front and back plastics and some bolts here and there also what is the best method to clean out a rusty tank the one that came with it has no dents but is very rusty inside any help would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like quite a project, would likely cost more to rebuild/resurrect that one than to buy a good condition one.

But for the tank, look up Por 15 kits on eBay. Kreem also works, but I've heard lots of stories about it flaking off. Red Kote is another one.

83ATC185
11-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Sounds like quite a project, would likely cost more to rebuild/resurrect that one than to buy a good condition one.

and that is whats keeping this hobby alive. To 86200X, my 185s looked about like yours when i got it. it was in the bottom of a drainage ditch behind a buddys house, left to die. Its well worth the effort to restore, its worth all the time and money to sit back and look at it when its finished.

RDH/86200X
11-01-2010, 02:52 PM
that would be the case if i had paid for it but i traded a 22cal rifle for it and a 1984 200es big red that both were said to have good compresion plus i have my dads old 85 x that has a stuck motor that i will be using for parts i just need to go get it so i can figure out what im going to have to buy

also thanks for the info on the tank coating/cleaning products

just got done testing the electronics and all tested out good

gizmo_22
11-01-2010, 03:25 PM
why not get the motor unstuck in your dads bike and redo the other one, that way you have 2 :)

RDH/86200X
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
stuck isnt really the best way to describe it. the piston and cylinder is gualded my dad was riding in a mud pit and didnt think to clean out the fins and the motor locked up on him so i would assume that there is no rebuilding it its in about the same shape as mine but has someof the parts i need

RDH/86200X
11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
well i got the tree out of the swing arm after about 5 hours of fighting with it and i now know that im going to have to rebuild/replace my mono shock will update soon with more progress

peace
ryan

bigbadktm
11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
looks like that tree gave you a run for your money, cant wait to see more progress on your bike

RDH/86200X
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
well tonight i got the 85 x to run as long as i want it but the thing somkes like freight train so im thinking i will need new valve guide seals and does anybody know if a rear mono shock off of a 1985 250sx is the same as the one on a 200x if so i wont have to fork out any money for a new shock ok i know its a bit early to be thinking colors but this is what im thinking metallic black plastics tank motor and rims with pearl lime green frame swinger forks and triples and air brushed honda and wings in tank

Jeepermc
11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
ok i know its a bit early to be thinking colors but this is what im thinking metallic black plastics tank motor and rims with pearl lime green frame swinger forks and triples and air brushed honda and wings in tank

It's good to have that vision to shoot for........It'll keep ya motivated!

RDH/86200X
11-02-2010, 09:53 PM
well didnt get much done today mainly making a list of parts that i am going to want to replace and does anybody know where i can get a rebuild kit for my rear shock i havent been able to find one anywhere and i have to weld the rear master cylender mount back also does anybody know what gage metal the gas tank is made with does any body know if 350x tank scoops will fit on a 200x tank

RDH/86200X
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
ok so i think i might in trouble there is about 1/8 inch of metal gone on the sproket side of the swing arm and i cant get the swingarm bolt out. any ideas on how to get the bolt out other than getting the sledge hammer
on a good note i have found black fenders but im still unsure on what shade of green to use

200XMichigan
11-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Soak the swing arm bolt with some PB Blaster or Billygolightly posted something about using acetone and ATF as a penetrating oil and it works great. Real cheap too. I got a boat engine unseized after pouring ATF/acetone down the spark plug holes. Also there have been a lot of threads on re-coating gas tanks. Do a search for Por15 or RedCoat (something like that). Pretty easy to clean the gas tanks.

Also wanted to give you credit on bring it back to life. One more trike will live again. Also you're dad's engine could be rebuild with a re-bore if it just seized from getting too hot.