PDA

View Full Version : any tips on improving your water depth ability?

3wheelrider
10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Well, Is there any ways you can go thru deeper water without snorkels? My 83' ATC 185s can go thru water basically to the very bottom of the gastank (then its starts to sputter and die-if I come out of the water slightly as it just starts to sputter it will continue to run fine thru the water (and sputtering immediately stops) . It never sputters unless it gets to that water level- every time. Also, I dont have to over rev it to keep it runnin. (Now if i see i'm getting to that water level now,- I jump ship and keep it accelerated and walk it out:D). The water gets to the level of the ignition coil and cdi it seems which are side by side.(about 2 feet of water). If it ever does shut off, I just float it to shore,check the oil, its usually fine- and usually starts right back up immediately or within a minute or two... What I've had to do to get there: Ive used wheel packing grease on the cdi plug,- only cuz I forget to buy dielectric. Also on the sparkplug boot and at the ignition coil lead entry.I will eventually get some dielectric and use that instead. Also, I noticed with my carb vent hose, that when the hose was submerged- it would sputter and die. I now have a long vent hose running high up the main tube instead. Which now I can get to the water level I described above.(not sure why this is but it helped alot). Also, I put heat shrink on the harness-to-stator coil lead terminals (black/red wire). -The rubber sleeve on the terminals deteriorate and leak out electricity without it ..... Anyway, it seems that water depth can be improved.- .... I've seen some similar 200S atcs go thru just slightly deeper stock-but why dont mine do the same? My 81' ATC 185s would go thru about the same exact depth as my 83' does and that one had the early air intake under the seat?-Please dont preach to me about what I put my bikes thru:D. I am an experienced atc owner/rider/shadetree mech. :rolleyes:.....anyone got any ideas?.

Erics350x
10-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Seal the air boots and box good Also check the air box drain plug on the bottom, if it has one. Fill the spark plug boot with dielectric grease.. Make sure the carb vent and overflow hoses are connected, you could even plug them temporarily. I would get one way check valves for the crackcase and carb vents.

JustEnough
10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
If water gets to the level of the primary coil, it will short out and the engine will stop running. It would be difficult to waterproof the primary coil, or to relocate it.

Another concern is that if the engine mount bolts or front axle are not greased well, eventually it will become nearly impossible to take them out because of corrosion between the aluminum and steel parts.

3wheelrider
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=JustEnough;930257]If water gets to the level of the primary coil, it will short out and the engine will stop running. It would be difficult to waterproof the primary coil, or to relocate it.

It sure seems like thats whats happening to the coil.(kinda makes sense)- But still not sure...I know its not the boots or box/lid leaking in water, its not the sparkplug boot getting water, and the water level is nowhere near the air intake up top........ That would be nice if the coil could be simply relocated and tried out...... But from the videos Ive seen where the atcs go slightly deeper it seemed and I dont think they had to relocate the coil? Maybe I'm wrong?-

Sure is fun showin them Big quads and sport quads -the waterholes these ATCs can go thru over and over!...

beets442
11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Don't drill holes in your air box!

muthey
11-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about with the dead zone in water, my friends 83 185 has that same issue and we hadn't reached the coil yet with water, but him having his spark plug in only hand tight and his intake is pointed down under the seat he flooded the oil with water and it took an oil change to get it running again. After seeing what you have done with yours to prep it I will be doing that to his next summer when we start going to the lake again. I still wont take my yamaha 225 dx that deep into the water but he rides his like he stole it. Maybe you could wax rubber seal the coil like some machining tooling comes in, but not sure if it would handle the electrical heat once done, also they make a type of fabric you could put over your intake that doesn't allow moisture to pass not sure where you would get it but I know it exists

3wheelrider
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't drill holes in your air box!

It dont have any.....no water in airbox- its tight.

3wheelrider
11-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about with the dead zone in water, my friends 83 185 has that same issue and we hadn't reached the coil yet with water, but him having his spark plug in only hand tight and his intake is pointed down under the seat he flooded the oil with water and it took an oil change to get it running again. After seeing what you have done with yours to prep it I will be doing that to his next summer when we start going to the lake again. I still wont take my yamaha 225 dx that deep into the water but he rides his like he stole it. Maybe you could wax rubber seal the coil like some machining tooling comes in, but not sure if it would handle the electrical heat once done, also they make a type of fabric you could put over your intake that doesn't allow moisture to pass not sure where you would get it but I know it exists

Just curious-if its a 83', why is the air intake under the seat on your friends atc?-

muthey
11-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure, I found the sticker on the frame which said 1983 befor it fell off, but I discovered intake was at the bottom when we filled the airbox with water now my wifes 81 200 has it at the top so your guess is as good as mine maybe it was replaced at some time with earlier models airbox

muthey
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I just looked on babbits sport center for 83 185s air box and it shows the intake on the bottom like my friends so maybe yours was changed I don't know

fidel
12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
i benn ride my bike 250r whit out air filter , so yesterday i take my babe to ride , but was in rain day so i think the water goes in to carburator not much but a litlee so doesnt run , i shange the spurk plug , and nathing why cant i do thanks for help me 3 lovers fooos
NECESITO AYUDA 911