PDA

View Full Version : honda 1980 185atc. Need advice. wont shift

CAH
10-30-2010, 05:47 PM
hello,
I am new to the forum, but I have got alot of help from reading your threads before I became a member. Thanks!! Ok guys, here it is: 1980 185atc honda, engine stays running with some throttle help, I believe its been sitting awhile. carb rebuilt, new oil, filter, plug, gas etc. the problem is that it will not go into gear. It rolls in neutral, but will not move by putting into gear. it will only move from (what i believe is neutral) neutral down to first, it wont go down any further-just back up to neutral. And when it is down in first, i can push the 3-wheeler like its in neutral (its not in gear). i have adjusted the clutch screw on the ouside (i think correctly) and it did not make a difference. I am mechanical but have never tore into gear box on anything, cant afford a shop. any suggestions. thanks

tri again
10-30-2010, 06:23 PM
hi

you MAY be able to find a manual on here under 'world class help'
either for download or read online.

I'd start there and see if you've got your bases covered...sounds like you do.

There are some brilliant minds on here and most are more than happy to get another trike going.

I gotta run but will check back on your post after 'work'.

Xpress
10-30-2010, 06:54 PM
hello,
I am new to the forum, but I have got alot of help from reading your threads before I became a member. Thanks!! Ok guys, here it is: 1980 185atc honda, engine stays running with some throttle help, I believe its been sitting awhile. carb rebuilt, new oil, filter, plug, gas etc. the problem is that it will not go into gear. It rolls in neutral, but will not move by putting into gear. it will only move from (what i believe is neutral) neutral down to first, it wont go down any further-just back up to neutral. And when it is down in first, i can push the 3-wheeler like its in neutral (its not in gear). i have adjusted the clutch screw on the ouside (i think correctly) and it did not make a difference. I am mechanical but have never tore into gear box on anything, cant afford a shop. any suggestions. thanks

So you push the shift lever down, and it doesn't go into gear, or it does? Your post is slightly confusing.

When you say "back up into neutral", are you pulling the shifter lever back up? Have you tried pushing it down again?

CAH
10-30-2010, 09:09 PM
thanks for the replies. ok...Xpress.. I can click the shifter down into 1st-but its not truly in gear because the atc itself could be shoved down a hill and would role like it was in neutral (while the shifter is clicked down into 1st). so it clicks once down into first and it click once back up into neutral. it will not click down any further than 1st, and the transmission never engages. always rolls freely. hope that is more clear, sorry. also dr.joe171 thanks for the advice. however did not find a manual there thanks anyhow

MonroeMike
10-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Are the splines worn on the gearshift pedal/spindle?

tri again
10-30-2010, 11:07 PM
thanks for the replies. ok...Xpress.. I can click the shifter down into 1st-but its not truly in gear because the atc itself could be shoved down a hill and would role like it was in neutral (while the shifter is clicked down into 1st). so it clicks once down into first and it click once back up into neutral. it will not click down any further than 1st, and the transmission never engages. always rolls freely. hope that is more clear, sorry. also dr.joe171 thanks for the advice. however did not find a manual there thanks anyhow

Wonder why he can't get to the online owner and shop manuals in 'world class help?

Do they still exist and are avail for d/l?

Anyone else have this prob? Anywhere else for CAH to get a look at them?

New member CAH would appreciate advice

Thanks

CAH
10-31-2010, 09:42 AM
hey guys, i appreciate the the responses. i was able to access a manual, just not off of world class. it didnt have 185atc, didnt know if it was interchangable with other trikes (gearbox). but im all set now. havent had a chance yet this morning to dig into it. i am going to read thoroughly and give it a shot. one concern is the special "puller" tool that ive read you guys talking about in the past. what is the correct name for it, is there anyway around using it, approx. price?
also, is ebay the cheapest place for parts? any suggestions? I need the starting pulley for my 200atc. i already have new handle, housing cover, rope, coil spring, pawls, and pawl springs, but the dark metal piece in which the pawls sit, is cracked down the middle, and will not allow the pawls to grab when rope is pulled, and other times the rope comes out and stays out.

ebecme01
10-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey CAH sorry to hear about your issue. Its stinks to get a sweet "barn find", get it to start and not be able to ride it. With that engine, I wouldnt try too hard to fix the transmission. The engines are everywhere in running/moving condition. I'm not trying to be a smart a** but is the chain on the ATC? If the chain guard is on you may have overlooked it. Sometimes the simplest stuff is the issue. A 185 engine has a long throw to the shifter and makes a pretty good click when the gear is engaged. We have a few extra 200S engines around the shops if you need stuff.

mrmello
10-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Monroe mike makes a good point as well. By brother in law's big red stripped the splines in the leaver and seemed like it was shifting but it wasent. Have a look and make sure that the shifter shaft is actually moving.

as well you say you need the pully on the recoil? The Crack Can be welded if you have access to a good mig welder. I did that to mine and worked good. Those pullys are expensive! And hard to come by lol

CAH
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Hey, thanks for your advice-all of you! I have to say that I am glad to be a member here. I am 36yrs old, drove a 4wheeler once, it was cool, but im still stuck on 3wheelers! I had a 185 and a 250r when i was in my teens, they were about the most fun you could have "sittin up". its been alot of years (19yrs ago) but I told myself i would have one again, now I have two, but ran out of cash about a week ago to get 'em goin. so im gonna try everything you guys have told me, and follow the manual (that someone very kindly gave me!) if you dont hear from me for a bit it means i have to save up for a part or something. having said that- I will check the splines and the chain. I will let you know how it goes, and when i get them both goin, ill be back to help others-with my own limited knowledge. thanks, chris

MonroeMike
10-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Dennis Kirk may have some parts for your machines.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp