PDA

View Full Version : Rider's Tips

Chazz of Blades
10-30-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm surprised not to have already saw a stickied thread about this.

After riding bikes, and a bit of quadwork, and alot of buggy, I bought my first trike recently. A 8/10 condition 84 Red, no racer by any means, but I'm looking at a 250r for $800. This got me thinking that there probably has to be a few hundred years combined experience riding Three Wheelers here on the site, and that there really needs to be a thread dedicated to sharing your experience and riding tips. As a person just getting into the sport I'm starting from the ground up with such a different feel riding an ATC, than anything else I have experience with.

What are some tips on sliding the rear on a turn? I am a bit skiddish in trying without knowing a bit first.

tri again
10-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Most of the technique folks hang out in one of the other forums, like the 'open forum' or 'this vs. that', and these guys have stories!

Trikesylvania, where we are, seems to be more hardcore design and repair topics and people desperate for answers at 3 in the morning, in a storm, and needing their machines to run.

I've had a few different 84 reds and absolutely love them specifically because of the LACK of rear suspension.
Hard tails seem to be better in the mud for instance. Tire pressure is another hot topic.2 psi, 4 psi
are not uncommon as odd as that sounds.

A real good question for what kind of surface you'll be on.

I've yet to see if I have 4 speeds in reverse but can certainly imagine needing that considering some of the places I've been, but I digress.

For instance, they say the driveshaft and differentials are 'maintain free'
but there IS gear oil in the differential so change that and the engine oil and you'll be off to a good start.

You may still be able to find manuals here in the 'world class help' section if you've got room or enough speed to read them online.

How does it seem to start, stop and run so far?

Xpress
10-30-2010, 04:19 AM
Yeah, this would probably be better off in the Open Forum.

But, what I find helps to slide the rear is get off the side a bit then goose it with the thumpers. If I'm at speed, and the rpms are up high, I may slow down a bit, then down shift to get the rpms back up and hammer it as I'm leaning off the inside of the turn and pushing the rear end out. It might take some time, depending on who you are, but it will come to you :)

Also, might want to practice this on open flat dirt. My first couple of times sliding around on my 200X resulted in a half circle, rather than following a turn :D

tri again
10-30-2010, 04:34 AM
just for the record, my events coordinator, who had years on a hardtail, got on an sx with rear suspension and rolled it imMEDiately not used to the rear end flex,

Now we can't get it away from her for love or $$.

Chazz of Blades
10-30-2010, 05:07 AM
It's a bugger to start, due a...ahem....partialy melted spark plug cable, which is being replaced asap tommorow. When it is running it purs like a walrus.
And thanks, I was wondering about oiling the diff.

And I"ll give that technique a try tommorrow afternoon, Xpress.

tri again
10-30-2010, 06:11 AM
It's a bugger to start, due a...ahem....partialy melted spark plug cable, which is being replaced asap tommorow. When it is running it purs like a walrus.
And thanks, I was wondering about oiling the diff.

And I"ll give that technique a try tommorrow afternoon, Xpress.

Hypoid gear oil, you might want to check the weight, a number like 80wt or 80/90
or whatever your manual says for your climate.
Water can get in there somehow so if you get to splashing around, it's super cheap insurance and a good idea to change oils regularly.

Hypoid, I found out, is a term used to describe the slipperiness of the oil, if you can imagine whatever that means.

It apparently limits the friction between the ring and pinion gears since, by design, they want to grind each other.

The 85 and newer models have only 3 point 3 ounces and is critical to be in there and clean.

Your 84 holds more than that but I don't remember exactly.

Make sure that your shift lever is not loose on the shift shaft. It can mess up the splines but don't overtighted the pinch bolt.

These are just a couple things I look for before I buy or ride these things.

Simple things that can avoid bigger problems is the theme.

Chazz of Blades
10-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Will do. It amazes me how I even came across this trike in the first place. One random call asking if i wanted to go somewhere one random day, and I spotted it at a yard sale on the side of a road I rarely ever take. In the 9 days before I came back and bought it I made up like an almost 30 point checklist of basics to check out.

Jerm1179
10-30-2010, 07:35 AM
you can download maunuals on this site....run a search for it...it has all the info you need and as for kicking the rear end out....lean way out over the plastics and hammer down! lol

Mr_RPM
10-30-2010, 09:46 AM
first off i have been riding for 12 years of my young life and over the years have been on alot of machines thanks to my fathers work and all the buddies I have who ride.
I own a 84 big red and by no means is it easy to slide around. what you need to do is find your limits on that machine and know what to do when you exceed them.
I can only get my big red to slide on loose stuff like gravel. A huge part of sliding is confidence and not backing out, but in order to do so you must know what the machines limits are.
practice and get some time in the drivers seat and your body will start to get a feel for what the machine will and will not do.
after some time you will be able to slide like its nothing just as long as your on the right surface and right machine. good luck!

Chazz of Blades
11-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Did a curved 90 degree turn today. Slid the rear smoothly for almost 40 feet all the way around it. I was so proud of myself.

But, I did run my leg over for the first time today, but I had a damn good reason. I was pulling off a dirt road, due to the fact that you literaly could not see the road due to pine needles, and run into a 4'x4' hole, my right back went into the hole and flung the front up, and started turning over to the right(the side I was pulling into) while the front was up, I knew I might run myself over, but I kicked off the edge of the hole and managed to straighten myself up before flipping and rolling, at the cost of running over my foot to my knee. I'm just a bit bruised though, did I do the right thing, or did I goof?

Xpress
11-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Well, if you rolled off, I'd say you goofed, but don't worry, everyone goofs up now and then :D

Chazz of Blades
11-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Nah, i never came off the trike, if i had rolled off it would have flipped diagnoly on me. Which could have busted a fender, or bent the frame.

I'll heal, the trike wont.

Xpress
11-01-2010, 03:46 AM
I'll heal, the trike wont.

With some good workshop skills, the trike can be healed as well :) :beer

No trike is impossible to fix. It just depends on how motivated you are to fix it, and how deep your pockets are ;)