PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone put a shock&swinger on a frame without one?

leprogle
09-22-2003, 03:13 PM
I have a 185s and i'm interested in put a shock and swing-arm on it, but i'm wondering if anyone else has ever done it and if they'd know any tips and whatnot on how to do this conversion. Mr ATC maybe? you know practically everything

MR ATC
09-22-2003, 03:26 PM
well i used to have pictures of a 185s solid to suspened conversion but i no longer have it.

the things you have to make sure of are putting the swingarm pivot in line with the countershaft, keeping your chain in alignment, shock angel,

since the 83-85 200X and 185s use the same basic motor i would use a swingarm from one of those years. then you can use almost all the components if not all from the 200X ( axel, hubs, shock, brakes, ect. ) which would keep cost down. you want to get the shock angel to be as close as possible so it works like it was intended to do. ( measure from the top shock mount to the swingarm pivot on a 200x and try to duplicate it.

personally i think it wouldbe easier and more practical to just buy a 200X rolling chassie and install the 185s motor in it. the only modification you will need to preform is to trim the countershaft cover to match the 200X frame.

i think in the long run it would be cheaper this way.

leprogle
09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
ok, thanks MR ATC, 200x's are hard to come by up here where i live, and when they do, they're usually in good shape, so i don't know if i'd be able to find a frame with a junk motor that easily, but i'll keep my eyes open

samster143
09-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Have you checked with wheeler world in mattawamkeg Me. (near Mt. Katahadin). Also holmes cycle near old town has some chassis's. maybe too far for you.

leprogle
09-29-2003, 10:25 PM
I live in New Brunswick, Canada, which is near the east coast of canada, if I could find a good 200x chasis around here in the maritimes, that would be great, or even just below the border in maine, bangor, and whatever else is close to the border there in the states, i'm only a half hour from the st. stephen border crossing, but i don't know about taxes, duties and bulls**t i'd have to go through to get it across the border, would be worth my while?
but rear suspension would be nice if i could get it at a good price

jason85atc250r
09-29-2003, 10:50 PM
you would have to rig up a brake pedal since the 83-85 200x's have the pedal on the side case behind the kicker. get one with a blown engine included the cam from a 200x will fit your 185s. the stock 200x cam is like putting a high performance one in your 185's. and the 200x carb is bigger also it bolts up the same.

leprogle
09-29-2003, 11:20 PM
I have been looking for a blown 200x for some time, however most trikes near me are utility or wrecked "mint" 250r's

jason85atc250r
09-29-2003, 11:30 PM
my one friend did the 200x frame swap in the late 80's while his 200x engine was getting rebiult. he was still i school so it took awhile to get the money. it made a nice bike to ride don't have to worry about the clutch. you will need to find a 83-85 200x then your engine will bolt rite up. he used the aftermarket 200x pipe that made it alot faster then in the original frame