PDA

View Full Version : Stock OEM Paint Color Matching

sweetip2000
10-30-2010, 01:28 AM
1985 Honda 200 S. I need to match the stock OEM Honda Paint for the gas tank and front forks. It looks like an orange red color. Probably faded over time and looks more orange ?

Hopefully I can use the Dupont paint system.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

Xpress
10-30-2010, 04:29 AM
I have read and seen people use passion red to repaint their Hondas. IMO, it's maybe only an 1/8 a shade off of being the real color, but without closeup examination, it's pretty much the same color.

I bet with a slightly grey primer underneath, you could get a good honda red.

Here is a thread comparing the OEM paint and passion red:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?108524-Honda-Passion-Red-vs.-Rustoleum-Sunrise-Red

cattle-dog
10-30-2010, 07:02 AM
i would think one of the big restorers here should have the paint codes for the colors, Vintage Motorsports here is said to have done restorations for honda, i would think he would have them available for all the colors on the trikes, in order to do his oem restorations.

TheRealFatShady
10-30-2010, 07:34 AM
I wonder what type of paint they used originally, so that some machines nearly 30 years later still have a good glossy look to them.

tundrawillie
10-30-2010, 09:12 AM
RAL 3020 is the code for Passion Red in powder coat. Perfect match. I can powder at tank and it'll be as slick as glass.

sweetip2000
10-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah I am trying to figure out what those old OEM paint codes were and what paint they used.
Some of the old paint I see has a red orange kinda tint to it and some look more like a deeper red. I am trying to find out what codes to put into the computer to make the color.
Dupont make a really good inexpensive paint called NASO.

cattle-dog
10-31-2010, 07:09 AM
i to would like to see someone chime in with the real paint codes not a close match because if no one has them then all the bull about factory quality restorations just fell apart. they need to be 100% factory right down to the factory paint match.
the codes would be nice for us as not only could everyone order it from our local paint suppliers , companys like seymor who make custom rattle can colors would mix up some spray can paint and its fairly cheap to have done.
so where are all the guys with usefull info?

MonroeMike
10-31-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?30720-Assorted-Honda-color-codes-for-paint

cattle-dog
10-31-2010, 11:48 AM
ok so that covers the frames paint code how about
1) 250r swinger gold factory color
2)350x swinger silver/gray color
3)engine black color
4) fork finish for the x and r

rayatc84
10-31-2010, 04:36 PM
RAL 3020 is the code for Passion Red in powder coat. Perfect match. I can powder at tank and it'll be as slick as glass.

Are you sure RAL 3020 is the perfect match of Honda R109 Passion Red?
If yes, it would be a great info for me.

When I rebuilt my 85' 310R in this last August, all the industrial painters I saw didn't know what Honda R109 was and asked me for a RAL #. And I couldn't find the RAL correspondence...

So I went to a paint dealer with a mint original part of my 82' 250R.
He has a lot of swatches painter and especially those of most car and motorcycle manufacturers. But in his Honda swatches, the R109 doesn't exist.
So he polished a small area of my 82' 250R part (a "protected" side that was never exposed to the sun) to refresh the color to original.
And we found that the Honda R63 (used on Honda cars) is really really close to Honda R109.
So I painted my 84' and 85' frames with this Honda R63 paint and it's really good close to original.

Just a question : is "powder coat" a specific paint or paint method, or it's an english synonym of "paint"?
I ask this because I can't translate it and Google translation doesn't have sense...

tommerp
10-31-2010, 08:04 PM
What about the Yam-hopper colors? Any "official" codes for the Fire Red 85.5 frame?

sweetip2000
11-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I spoke with the auto body shop I deal with and they told me they can match the color by computer. They need a sample 3x3 inches to put under the computer. Problem with that is we are dealing with something bigger than 3 x 3 inches. How you gonna get a gas tank under a scanner ?

So I contacted someone I know who does computer graphics for auto. You can take a digital picture of the original color. Bring the picture into adobe Photoshop. Zoom in to the paint and use the color picker tool. It looks like an eye dropper. Pick the color. Now go up top on the menu and click file now click new. Open a new picture 3 x 3 inches at 300 resolution. Use the paint bucket tool and dump the color you picked into the new picture.

Now you will print it. Make sure you use photo paper. Do not use cheap paper. The color wont be right. Print at the highest DPI. Bring print out to trike. If it is too dark or too light go back to Photoshop and adjust brightness and contrast. Once you get the print out right bring that 3 x 3 inch sample to the automotive paint supply and have them make up that color. Once its done ask them for the codes and maybe we can use the technology we have today to archive this data for the next person who wants a very close color match.

Its not gonna be stock OEM but damn close. Closer than a rattle can. That's for sure.

sweetip2000
11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I checked the codes out with color rite. Whoever said R109 Passion Red is right. He said he uses a book from honda that goes back to 1959. They want 126 bucks for a pint.
Take a digital picture of the paint. A closeup picture with good light. Take the digital pic on a flash drive and bring it to the automotive paint supply. Have them make that color in Dupont
Nason. Its 26 bucks for the quart.

rayatc84
11-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Are you sure RAL 3020 is the perfect match of Honda R109 Passion Red?If yes, it would be a great info for me.

When I rebuilt my 85' 310R in this last August, all the industrial painters I saw didn't know what Honda R109 was and asked me for a RAL #. And I couldn't find the RAL correspondence...

So I went to a paint dealer with a mint original part of my 82' 250R.
He has a lot of swatches painter and especially those of most car and motorcycle manufacturers. But in his Honda swatches, the R109 doesn't exist.
So he polished a small area of my 82' 250R part (a "protected" side that was never exposed to the sun) to refresh the color to original.
And we found that the Honda R63 (used on Honda cars) is really really close to Honda R109.
So I painted my 84' and 85' frames with this Honda R63 paint and it's really good close to original.

Just a question : is "powder coat" a specific paint or paint method, or it's an english synonym of "paint"?
I ask this because I can't translate it and Google translation doesn't have sense...

Nobody to reply me? Help please...

Rawlins350x
11-13-2010, 08:17 AM
rayatc84: Powder coating is a method different than paint. Powder coating is the process of taking a clean part and negatively charging it, while using a gun that sprays positively charged colors(which are in powder form). Positive and negative electrical charge holds the powder on the piece. It is then baked into an oven chemically altering the powder into a nice finish.

here is a youtube video to watch to learn more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS0LCiDaqUc

rayatc84
11-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Rawlins350x!
That's what I thought; here we call it "peinture epoxy".

And for the "RAL 3020 is the perfect match of Honda R109 Passion Red"?