PDA

View Full Version : Sweet score

broncocarnage
10-29-2010, 06:54 PM
i scored a 1985 atc 250es big red today. got it for the low pice of free. i looked at buyin this bike about a year ago for 1000 and passed on it it was clean then he hasnt run it in about 6 months. he called me today and asked me if i was interested in it and when i asked the price he said come get it out of my garage and its yours... im hoping to go get it tomorrow and i post pics of it.

oldtime3wheeler
10-29-2010, 07:29 PM
For free! I would have got off the phone and headed right over and got it. That kind of deal doesnt come along to often.

mtsnieg
10-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Lucky you. Hopefully it's still in the same shape as when you last saw it.

broncocarnage
10-29-2010, 11:30 PM
i had to work tonight so cant get it till tomorrow. he sent a pic to my phone its not in as good of shape as i remembered but its free that all that matters.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv174/broncocarnage/Photo028.jpg

broncocarnage
10-29-2010, 11:32 PM
im pretty sure it is not the one i looked at to buy before. unless he has dogged it in the last year.

aldochina
10-30-2010, 12:11 AM
for free ya cant beat it. I got plenty of parts if ya want to get it going.

tri again
10-30-2010, 01:09 AM
I personally think it's gorgeous. About the way 1/2 mine look.

I proudly call them 'theft proof ugly' and no one wants to ride them (GOOD!)

the the pretty ones stay chained up out of sight.

A trike like that you can use and not worry about scratches or people bugging you to 'borrow' them.

I'd change all the fluids, make sure the shifter isn't ready to strip/spin,
waterproof the seat with a hairdryer to soften 5$ worth of new vinyl and call it good.

oh and maybe cover up that hamstring piece of metal in front of the left fender so you don't need to buy sutures for your tool kit.

broncocarnage
11-01-2010, 11:48 PM
ok. so i got her sat. and had to go to work when i got home.. went to work sunday morn got off at 12 came home checked all fluids.... added gas to the tank, the throttle was stuck, slide stuck, pulled side cover off of carb got it movin again. and kicked it 3 times and it fired right up. oh how sweet the sound. let her run a few min, and put it in reverse backed out of the garage put it in 1st went across the yard gassed on it and the front tire came off the ground and i let off and i was facing the opposite direction. hmm???? pulled hub from spare axle for my 85 fourtrax 250 and it fits.... rode it around the "yard" awhile. runs good. goin tomorrow to get all new fluids from the honda robbers... i mean honda dealer. and a carb kit.

ok this is the 1st 250 big red ive ever rode WOW this thing has got some power i am very happy with my new free wheeler. i can wheely it through 3rd gear. man i love it.

broncocarnage
11-01-2010, 11:50 PM
o ya this is not the same one i looked at buyin, he sold the other one and his uncle gave him this one... his uncle bought it new. im the 3rd owner

TrailerRider
11-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Nice score for Free! I have gotten worse for free. They were built so well that people think they are junk and say "if you pick it up you can have it" thinking they pawned their junk off...lol. I dare anyone to beat me in a race to a free wheeler..lol Also you kicked started it? Never heard of a big red es having a kick start that I recall reading about?

matt86200x
11-02-2010, 01:41 AM
es model has electric start, with kicker as back up. Thats a great bike you got your hands on she will never let you down

harryredtrike
11-02-2010, 02:23 AM
hey you cant complain about the price.put some coin in her and make her pretty again.nice score for sure.

tri again
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Hey,
If that carb is real sticky like you say , be super careful if you try to get that choke piston out.

it's got a plastic nut looking thing holding it down and 2 very small
pieces of thin metal that are pinched to hold the cable to the piston.
Some of those pistons have an o ring that can get stuck, looks more like a squared hydraulic brake seal.

If it doesn't slip right out, soak it with some \thing appropriate that won't kill rubber or plastic.
If it starts the way you described you can almost leave it alone too if it seems too stubborn.

People that get into that kinda choke piston trouble describe (drilling) them out.

Does there happen to be a number on the carb like QA 01 or 05 or something?

Great machines, for sure.

broncocarnage
11-05-2010, 12:13 AM
im familiar with this carb it is the same on my 250 fourtrax

84cj
11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
I have two 84 200es and both have electric and recoil start. Is the kick start a 250es thing?

JayBone
11-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Free is good no doubt. Good luck with it.

All the guys who traded beer for a trike though rule cause that is just funny stuff. Like someone needs beer that much..

broncocarnage
11-08-2010, 09:50 PM
yes it is a 250es thing