PDA

View Full Version : 83 200x stroker questions

jkelly
10-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I just bought a very nice 83 Honda 200x a few days ago. This thing is very clean, but I am having trouble getting it to run steadily. I know it has been stroked, it has a weisco piston, web cams, uni air filter, cobra exaust, and r/d valve springs. When I got it home I filled it up with gas (93 octane) and kicked it over a few times. It tried to hit but never would start up. I pulled the plug, checked the gap and kicked it over to make sure i was getting a spark. The spark wasnt as steady as I thought it should be but it was sparking. I checked the gas lines going into the carb and I am getting gas to the carb and into the bowl. I tried to kick it over and still had the same results. I decided to try to pull start it behind my 4 wheeler. I had a friend pull me in second gear as I let off the clutch, it would crank up and run but I couldnt give it throttle without it dying out. I parked it in my shop and tried it all over the next day. Still with the same reults. I guess what I am looking for is some advice on what I should check next. I have a fair knowledge of how to work on motors but with the aftermarket stuff on my trike, Im thinking there may be something I dont know about. By the way, I have seen this thing running before I bought it and it ran very good, real fast too. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

shortline10
10-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds like the carb jets are clogged . Also do a compression test , with the wiseco and stroker you should be over 180lbs

jkelly
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks, thats a start, Ill check out the carb. Im pumped up about this thing. Im ready to hit the dunes. Havent ridden on 3 wheels since i was a kid on my dads ol big red.

jkelly
11-01-2010, 07:13 PM
cleaned my carb and checked compression (193 lbs). I dont believe im getting enough spark. I changed plugs and checked my gap, everything should be ok but still not firing up. Could my problem be the CDI? I don't know much about the CDI system. Any advice is welcome.

shortline10
11-01-2010, 07:20 PM
The stator is the weak link on the 83-85 200x so start with that first .

Texas 200x
11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
When I first got my 200x I would have spark but it was a bear to start after the rebuild. I put a new ricky stator on it and helped a little. I ended up finally fixing my problem when I swapped out flywheels. I couldn't really tell a difference in the strength of the magnets on the the two but the swap made all the difference in the world.

bigredneckrider
11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
i had the same problem on my stock 1981 artic cat el tigre 5000 sled. Try putting a hair dryer on the CDI Box for 10-15 on low. It it fires easier its your CDI box.

Xpress
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
If it's stroked out, that thing should be damn near impossible to start (don't ask how i know) very easily. Try putting the bike into 3rd, and rolling it back until the piston stops. Then get it moving again, and pop the clutch. That's how I started my 200CC stroker engine every time (because the kickstarter gear stripped out).

If it still doesn't fire, then check to make sure you're getting good contact with your spark plug. If all else fails, then check the stator and CDI box.

jkelly
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, Ive changed the coil, (didnt have a cdi or stator in stock but thats next), tried the hair dryer on the cdi, cleaned carb again, drained tank, cleaned it and refilled it, had timing set, even aired up the tires, lol, and it still will not start up. I tried to push start it in 3rd and pop clutch and it acted like it wanted to run but almost seemed like its not getting fuel, so i checked and im getting gas through the carb. It did backfire once while I was trying to kick start it. I guess ill get the new cdi and stator and see if that works

atcrider1
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
is it jetted for the mods? sounds like it could be too lean

jkelly
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah, its jetted but im not sure what size jets are in it. I looked at them today when i took the carb apart and they are not the stock jets. My dad said it may be too lean too. I think i may just take it to a mechanic and have him look it over and see what I need to do next. Hopefully nothing too expensive... Ill get some pics up soon. Its a very nice trike. Im ready to get out and ride it!

grafitti911
11-05-2010, 02:05 AM
sounds like the air fuel mixture screw is too rich.
this screw is outside of the carb close to the intake boot. Tighten it finger tight turn it out 2 n a half turnes it should fire n run by then if there's hesitation you can loosen n see if it gets any better if not tighten it till it gets better (( idle/responce)) you'll notice when it's running.

dksix
11-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Is it in time ?

kasey200x
11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Valve clearence? Check the cdi, check the clearence between the round peice held on by two phillip screws, and the rotor. Should be about .013 of an inch, i think.