PDA

View Full Version : Please help new guy doesnt know where to start

xdtac
10-28-2010, 03:46 PM
i just got my 1982 250r last week and have rode it a couple times with no problems other than a fouled plug. well today i take it out on the trails for the first time, they are narrow with sharp curves ETC so i was manly in 1st and 2nd gear just crusing through them and then once once i got out on a straight away i began to accellerate and shift gears and it began to stall out then die. i could not kick it for about 3 minutes then once i was able to kick it it was way to easy to kick. now when i try to kick it it wont turn over and will backfire sometimes. i dont even know where to start did i blow my engine? i wasnt running that hard at all! what should i do. thanks guys!

Xpress
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Probably fouled the plug, is my guess. Did you pull it out and check it?

cbx1170
10-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I usually take the pipe off and slowly turn engine over and inspect piston skirts, thru ex port, and cyl bore before I buy or after something like this happens. It takes the guesswork out of it. Could pull carb - intake manifold but that costs gaskets. Could be plug could be light or severe sieze/scoring. Not trying to be hard kore or anything just a good quick PROPER visual inspection tells most of the story.

3wheelrider
10-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Pull the sparkplug out and inspect color and check for any impact damage to the tip/electrode. Next do a compression check...... Sounds tho like the top end gave out. Check play in the rod (up & down) if/when you pull the cylinder. Unfortunately you must pull the motor just to get the top end off. Yes they give without much or any warning most times.

xdtac
10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
ok it isnt a fouled plug i put a new one in and got same results. there were aluminum flakes on the plug so im assuming i fried the rings? would that result in low compression? if so any help in to what i need to do next would be greatly appreciated!

Vealmonkey
10-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Bad guess, the rings aren't aluminum.

xdtac
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM
ok maybe not aluminum sorry how about very bright shiny metal flakes i can turn the kick start with my hand lost alot of compression

matt86200x
10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a nice big hole in the piston..

xdtac
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
so where do i go from here do i rebuild the top end?

Xpress
10-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Well lets start with pulling off the head and inspecting.

xdtac
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks for being so cooperative im a little overwhelmed and dissapointed since ive just had this 250r for a week.

Vealmonkey
10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
I bought a tri z before that I didn't even get to ride. My buddy rode it the first time and blew it up. LOL So these things happen. Also, 2 stroke don't always like to be run at wide open throttle very long, don't know how hard you were running it when it went. Jetting on a 2 stroke is very critical. You need to get a manual firstly. Then a big test would be to run a compression test. Bit it sounds like you busted a ring or holed a piston. It happens. You need to follow what to do in the shop manual for the trike and go from there.

xdtac
10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
anyone know about these guys? [/URL] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Atc-250R-250-Engine-Top-Rebuild-Kit-Machining-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335e871f34QQitemZ22062 9245748QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories (http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Atc-250R-250-Engine-Top-Rebuild-Kit-Machining-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335e871f34QQitemZ22062 9245748QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

grafitti911
10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
you need a new cylinder it's ringlocked when you get a new cylinder richen the fuel mixture screw for trail riding located on the carb closer to the airfilter

ATC-RYDA
10-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Well u may not need a new cylinder .. It depends on how scored it is , obviously this wont be known till u pull it apart .. If still not sure post up a couple pics .. Most likely if u are seeing metal then the cylinder is scored and it may need to be repaird depending on how bad it is or replaced .. Hopefully it isnt scored at all and u can flush the bottom end slap a new piston in and keep riding

Xfile
10-28-2010, 10:43 PM
you need a new cylinder it's ringlocked when you get a new cylinder richen the fuel mixture screw for trail riding located on the carb closer to the airfilter

Ringlocked........hmmmm, never heard of that. First off...it sounds like a lean fuel/air mixture made this happen...just simply installing new piston and rings in a new (or bored) cylinder may not fix the problem and you may end up with your new parts melting down. You could have leaky crank seals, a bad base gasket, ripped or weathered carburetor boot, improper carburetor jetting or a partially clogged main jet. All these areas need to be inspected/tested/ and properly repaired if need be or you could end up wasting a lot of money on new parts to just have them damaged again.