PDA

View Full Version : 84 YTM225DX Won't start

bigvan
10-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Hey everyone, new to 3wheelerworld. I just received an 84 225dx and cannot get it started. I removed and cleaned the carb twice and can't get it to start. It has been in my mother-in-law's garage for the past 15 years just waiting for me to get it out and runnin. It's getting spark, compression seems fine but I don't think it's getting fuel. It ran for about 2 minutes after the first cleaning but hasn't started since.

MonroeMike
10-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Welcome. I would check the float level and make sure you can see light through the pilot jet.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?108733-225dx-won-t-run-right

Manual.
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

bigvan
10-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks. I'll check them today.

bigvan
10-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I soaked everything in carb cleaner for about four hours, cleaned with pipe cleaners and wire to get into the ports. re-installed but it still will not start without using starting fluid. once started it will not idle. runs well other than that. any other suggestions? should i buy a rebuild kit?

jbmatt
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
I have had alot of luck with the rebuild kits on several YTMs. Easy to install and then you are as good as new. No more guessing. Something in there is clogged. Make sure the fuel tank is clean as well.

Frankencelery
10-27-2010, 07:11 PM
I would agree that you're probably not getting gas. On Hondas I open the drain screw to see if there's fuel in the bowl, allowing it to drain for several seconds to make sure there's sufficient flow. If not, you need to check the fuel path from the tank to the carb. Pull the fuel line off the carb. If fuel doesn't run out of the drain (yamaha carbs do have these, don't they?), but it DOES run out of the disconnected fuel line, then it's got to be your float/inlet valve.

MonroeMike
10-27-2010, 09:19 PM
You didn't by chance put the float back in upside down? The flat part goes down.

bigvan
11-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Finally got it started but it will not idle without the choke on. I've adjusted the float and it idles great with the choke on. Unfortunately, it dies when i take it off. Any ideas?

Yamaha_Rules69
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Sounds like it is still not getting gas right (not getting enough gas) Did you pull every jet out of the carb, and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air? Compressed air is a must. Just soaking it will help, but not clear every passageway. Good luck!

bigvan
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Did all those things. Should i get a rebuild kit or maybe a larger pilot jet?

fabiodriven
11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm willing to bet your idle circuit is clogged.

dksix
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I had a problem with mine. I took the carb apart, cleaned everything and put it back together but it wasn't getting any gas still. Turns out that the float on them goes in the opisit of the way it looks. I took it off 2 or three times (not needing the manual for just a carb cleaning) and I was putting the float back in upside down. Took me a week to figure it out, after I resorted to reading the manual. The flat part of the float goes down and the rounded part goes up. I don't know if you would make a noob mistake like that but I didn't think I would either. Hope you get it figured out.

muthey
11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I would check the starter jet, and also look to see if you lost any bristles from the pipe cleaners have had that issue then on the pilot screw I am running mine 1 and a half turns out from bottom check the washer and oring on that as well remember it goes washer o-ring, spring, and then screw, the starter jet is located in the bowl at the front, mine was plugged when I got it, seafoam made my trike run worse for awhile, but now it runs great so might try that as well also would check to see if the float is taking on fuel. good luck

MonroeMike
11-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Screw, spring, washer, o-ring.

bigvan
11-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys. Does anyone know what model mikuni carb is on this thing. Also is there a better replacement i can put on it. I'm having a hard time finding a rebuild kit for it.

muthey
11-03-2010, 12:39 AM
last I checked its a 38 mm, check babbits sport center they have all parts, plus a complete breakdown picture, and thanks for the clarification mike, I always get the washer and o-ring mixed up

Yamaha_Rules69
11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Theres no way the dx carb would be a 38mm - thats like the size of a 500 2 STROKE CARB. If I had to guess, I would say 22-24mm. You can buy jets seperatly, if you have a local bike shop, bring the jets to them, and they should be able to help from there.