PDA

View Full Version : Honda makes one awsome motor

ChrisD
10-26-2010, 09:18 PM
All I can say is WOW. I can't believe my R still ran. After a little recent guilt about riding my bikes, I decided to get my woods bike ready to ride again. It really needed a clutch bad! I had already filed the basket twice and it was time for a billet basket, new clutch and 89 upgrade kit.

Well, I got it apart OK and the basket was SHOT. So, I was getting ready to replace it with a new basket, bearings, etc. I was checking over the gears and don't ask me why, but I tried to wiggle the gears by hand and they moved. First the counterbalancer moved by 1/16 of an inch, then the clutch shaft. I had an extra counterbalancer I had lightened and a new bearing so I was going to pop that in the motor. I then pulled on the primary gear off of the crank and the whole crank moved by over 1/16 of an inch back and forth.

For any of you that don't know.....none of it should move, wiggle, or anything. This motor has a billion miles on it, but it has been O'l reliable so I never messed with it. Honestly, the motor inside must have been wobbling back and forth, but nothing ever let go. Trust me, by the amount that it's out of tolerance, it should have thrown a rod, bearing or something by now. I am amazed.

She is getting some love now and I will be tearing down the bottom end. I ordered a new crank today and already have all new OEM bearings.

Congrats to Honda for building a motor that can rattle like a spray can, but still run strong!!

I would post pics, but there is nothing to see, just gears and bearings.

RodKnockRacing
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
that's down right crazy

Bryan Raffa
10-26-2010, 10:13 PM
:shiftyeyes:oh no....its funny you say nothing about the top end.....hummmm...

Xpress
10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
You just can't kill a honda engine. No matter what, you can always bring it back to life.

Jason Hall
10-26-2010, 10:58 PM
ChrisD, just a suggestion. If It has that much time on It, check all the bearing bore's In the cases. The counter balancer bearing Loves to oval out the top and bottom of the bore In the right side case. I bought an old worn out trx that rattled BIGTIME when I got It. It turned out that the outer main crank bearing bore In the right case was Waisted, so I sleeved It. The crank was moving side to side enough for the crank wheel to rub the case.

ChrisD
10-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Bryan Raffa
oh no....its funny you say nothing about the top end.....hummmm...

nothing to report there actually. I don't have anything up my sleve. Last year I retired the cylinder as it was on it's last bore. I am running my FTZ top end on it.

Jason Hall
ChrisD, just a suggestion. If It has that much time on It, check all the bearing bore's In the cases. The counter balancer bearing Loves to oval out the top and bottom of the bore In the right side case. I bought an old worn out trx that rattled BIGTIME when I got It. It turned out that the outer main crank bearing bore In the right case was Waisted, so I sleeved It. The crank was moving side to side enough for the crank wheel to rub the case.

Thank you for the input. That is running through my mind. I won't know the true damage report until I split the cases. I hope to get that done in the next couple days. Trust me, I fear more surprises. :(

pantera1975
10-27-2010, 07:12 AM
I put on 1300 miles on my 86 R this summer since april when I bought it and and thats not counting the 1-2 tanks of fuel each week I burned up taking my kids out riding on some private farm fields. I did it all with 148 psi of compression and the last 100 miles with some loud piston slap. An the clutch basket is so wore that I can hardly get it in neutral. There tuff. I honestly don't think the motor has never been apart.

BGP
10-30-2010, 06:32 PM
"Honda makes one awsome motor" -ChrisD

HA! Funny, I was just saying the same thing to my buddies at work. Just bought an '85 in rough-ish shape but started and ran fine. I just have a habit of rebuilding evrything I buy...for fun and peace of mind. Turns out the balancer was out 40~50 degrees from previous "build(s)". Crank bearing were sloppy as nothing I've ever seen before, right crank seal had no outer lip and teflon was worn off, balancer bearing was beyond shot, all three bearing holder "ears" were broken off, piston was craked in 5 places on inlet skirt and one on the exhaust side. Cylinder had great big grooves at the "ring keeper finger" at the intake port, left case was craked to shyte and water pump bearing was very loose... But, it ran fine! It's a wonder it even ran at all!!! Oh, and one of the reed petals was cracked too. Unreal.

Matter of fact, I just fired it up for the first time since it's rebuild... no ratchety noise(s); just a quiet whirl and some massive PANG PANGS from the fatty pipe! That thing is mean!