PDA

View Full Version : few 250es questions

dream3wheeler
10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Got a 250es during the summer and its been working great, until about a week or 2 ago, now it needs a new battery so ive been forced to use the kick starter. well i dont know much about kick starters but if i know anything at all about them they should catch every kick. mine slips and makes the engine wine. every now and then it will catch completely and start it up, but most of the time it will catch and then when you kick it, its slips. now my grandfather said that since the guy i got it from said he had changed the oil just before he gave it to me, my grandfather suggested that maybe the guy made a mistake and used synthetic oil to make it slip. and it makes sence because the when i shift sometimes it will slip but not very often its only happened twice. any idea what the problem is?

aldochina
10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
it wouldnt hurt to change the oil a few times and see if it helps the issue.

Thorpe
10-24-2010, 09:09 PM
One way bearing is getting weak....

tri again
10-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I actually READ the manual for my auto clutch trail 90
and it states that if the kick start slips and does NOT turn the engine over consistently, adjust the clutch.

Now that MAY be the same as the atc auto clutches. but my books are in the barn and it's pouring rain right now or I'd go check for you.

Of course, the other comments are all extremely valid too.

Funny oil can actually ruin clutches, especially oil additives people add thinking they are doing the engine a favor.

Look thru the manual on the 'world class help' section on here.

You'll be ok.
None of it sounds too bad to fix.

ride-red
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
maybe the gears are bad.. just throwing it out there i duno much but just a suggestion..

tri again
10-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Got a 250es during the summer and its been working great, until about a week or 2 ago, now it needs a new battery so ive been forced to use the kick starter. well i dont know much about kick starters but if i know anything at all about them they should catch every kick. mine slips and makes the engine wine. every now and then it will catch completely and start it up, but most of the time it will catch and then when you kick it, its slips. now my grandfather said that since the guy i got it from said he had changed the oil just before he gave it to me, my grandfather suggested that maybe the guy made a mistake and used synthetic oil to make it slip. and it makes sence because the when i shift sometimes it will slip but not very often its only happened twice. any idea what the problem is?

whine when slip kicked?

Do you think the gears are spinning and whining or the flywheel is trying to spin?

Seems like the clutch adjustment can be too loose to transfer kick spin to the engine according to the book.
i guess there's also a one way clutch that people have trouble with too.

Cheap battery? Regular lawn mower batteries will fit in the trunk so they say and they are seriously on sale this time of year and usually have some sort of guarantee.

what if you just push on the kickstart a little bit a few times, does it seem to help it find a place to grab? like the one way clutch is trying to find its way to work?

or is it a random slip that MAY be related to the fact that you are on a compression stroke which is harder for it to deal with and slip?

dream3wheeler
10-26-2010, 06:46 PM
well the kickstart works great when its warmed up. but when its a cold start i have to kick it a little bit so it finds a spot that catches but i have to be gentle on it cause it slips if you kick too hard. but otherwise when its warm i can start it one kick and it will catch every time

ride-red
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
well the way mine goes is that it misses ocasionally takes 2 kicks to start cold in nl temps and warm it'll go first kick i also use supreme fuel if that makes a difference to anything

tri again
10-29-2010, 12:11 AM
kinda sound temperature dependent.

My honda trail 90 auto slips when I kick it about 1/2 the time cold, but forgot to notice if it's different when warm since I don't ride it that much...it's mint so it's a very occasional rider.

The clutch slips like it's too loose to take the torque from the kick to turn the engine to
overcome the compression.

The manual for that says to adjust the clutch, but if you go too tight, it will walk away from you at idle.

don't quote this bc it's from a different machine but
loosen the locknut
turn ccw until resistance is felt (assume that the clutch is touching and too tight)
THEN back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and snug locknut

ps

pls note that even under hard acceleration, the clutch doesn't seem to slip at all so it must be able to handle THAT torque but not the sharp torque of the kickstart, if that makes any sense.