PDA

View Full Version : YT175 carb tuning, hard to start when cold

200XMichigan
10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I picked up a YT175, its really clean. Rebuild the carb, added a fuel filter, cleaned out the petcock, and air filter is clean and relatively new. It really hard to start cold. The specs say 1 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture screw. Everything on it is factory. I'm new to two strokes, but it seems the only way it wants to start up good is when the idle speed screw is turned up so much that once its warm it wants to rev sky high. If I try to hold the throttle open a little while starting it usually floods when cold. What's the trick to making this a one pull machine.

Also it seems to handle funny since the engine is so far back, would a narrower front tire and lower profile rears make it handle better?

bobotech
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
They handle great if you want to do wheelies! :)

Is the choke working properly?

Iprefer3
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Don't know yours has the adjustment but sometimes the throttle cable can be out of adjustment...holding the slide open too much. To be proper it should be close to the bottom of the throat. Check the manual if ya got one.

200XMichigan
10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah I am going to pull the carb off again. It feels like sometimes the slide is getting hung up. Would worn reed valves cause hard starting? The Boyesen reeds seems like a worthwhile mod. It runs really good once it gets started. The choke cable is working fine. Just got a factory manual off tradebit. It mentioned if the reed valves are installed improperly the fuel pump won't work. I think I found my problem, hopefully.

Also does anyone have a video or sound clip of how fast 1600 rpms should sound like. I think since I am used to the slower, quiter idle of a 4 stroke I keep wanting to turn it down too low.