PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z exhaust gasket solutions?

swampthang
10-23-2010, 05:58 PM
The gaskets that go into the expantion chamber on my Tri-z are missing. While at the bike shop today I had them look them up and the first gasket as they call it (which looks like some kind of metal reducer) is discontinued. Looks like they can still get the donut looking gasket thought. My question is does anyone know of an aftermarket peice that will work? Maybe something from another model? Also if I decide to buy an aftermarket exhaust for it will I need these gaskets from the stock pipe or will the new pipe come with them or will it even need them. Any help is appreciated

Just-Tri-It
10-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I know the gasket piece you are referring to in the diagram but have never seen one myself. I found that the donut gasket from autozone works fine. It's made of a metal ring with cork and drops right in. Two reference nos. are EG24574 and FP- 23561. Try that and see if it works for you too. It's the same one you see on ebay sometime. Don't get just the metal ring type get this kind with the cork made into it. Seems to seal better.

swampthang
10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Awesome so is there cork on both sides of this gasket or just one side, if on one side which side goes against the pipe. Does your pipe seal up good? Im going to dump some cash into my Tri-z this winter and i dont want it to be blowing oil all over a freshly painted motor.

zzmegad
10-24-2010, 09:54 AM
mmm, good info, ive always used rtv which kinda sux :crazy:

Ryah
01-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Reviving an old thread. What are the other solutions that members are using for their exhaust gaskets. Mine finally fell completely appart. Any other bikes cross fit with this one?

ATC-Eric
01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
That gasket is still available.......

Just-Tri-It
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Like he said, that gasket is still available and works just fine with most exhaust. Depending on the type of exhaust pipe you're using shouldn't be any problems. On some after market pipe the lip is too deep and even with the gasket you can't get a tight seal unless you trim down that collar/lip part. The discontinued part you can get around by doing it this way. That part was mainly used for aftermarket pipes with a bigger mouth/lip. I believe it can still be found in Japan but it probably wouldn't be worth the cost.

swampthang
01-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I ordered this "gasket" from the Yamaha shop and all it is is a thin metal washer thats slightly bevled. I have no idea how its supposted to keep exhaust from blowing back. I think im going to get the gasket from NAPA and some new exhaust spring and RVT around the pipe like a mofo and see if that works. New powder coated frame and motor hate to have it coated in oil right away.

Bryan Raffa
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
put the oem one in with the thin washer... coat the whole thing in high temp rtv.. in stall the pipe.. let it sit 24 hrs.. fire it up,, if it leaks,, remove the pipe ,, and dont remove any rtv ,, apply another thin even coat and install the pipe,, let dry 24 hr.. never had a problem..

swampthang
01-27-2011, 10:50 PM
what oem one are you talking about Raffa theres only 2 peices for the pipe the thin metal washer and the metal cone peice thats discontinuedhttp://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4165&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=1985&fveh=111 Check it am I missing what someones saying??:wondering

cr480r
01-28-2011, 02:02 AM
. On some after market pipe the lip is too deep and even with the gasket you can't get a tight seal unless you trim down that collar/lip part. The discontinued part you can get around by doing it this way. That part was mainly used for aftermarket pipes with a bigger mouth/lip. I believe it can still be found in Japan but it probably wouldn't be worth the cost.

I am about ready to cut the flange off my DG and make a new tight fitting peice with an internal groove for an o-ring. I dont like the DG Tri-z setup one bit... I have the oem gaskets, but they are a joke with this pipe... If i trimmed the flange, the header portion would hit the frame downtubes. I dont like the gap between the cylinder and header pipe. IMO it renders the gasket completely useless.. and probably disrupts exhaust flow...

Please excuse my lack of painting skills.. lol.. red is gasket, yellow is the discontinued? gasket.. Blue is pipe header and flange... and gray is cylinder spigot..
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/justinriolo/pipeflange.png
This is a general idea of what my new o-ring flange might look like...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/justinriolo/newpipeflange.png

Just-Tri-It
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Look. Don't order from Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or any one else. Read my first post. Go to Auto Zone and get that Fel-Pro gasket and stick it in there and put those 3 springs on it, fire it up and ride on. Throw that ring from Yamaha in the garage or hook it in a pigs snout. In my second post I said you might also have to trim down the mouth about 1/4 inch so it doesn't bottom out on the head exhaust. Or you could put 2 felpros in there to take up the slack. That was the main reason for the piece that is discontinued from Yamaha to accommodate Aftermarket pipes which have a bigger and deeper mouth. The chrome pipe that favor dragon scales, can't think of the name of it, is real bad about this. Now if that felpro won't slide all the way down in your particular pipe, let them measure it and give you the next one up. They and Oreillys have a book with the different sizes they carry. I have one of the chrome sectional pipes and that what I did. It is made different on the inside. It's like an inner inner ring inside the mouth that a gasket can slide down into. But the 2 I listed above won't slide down into the inner ring because the ID is a tad to small. But you can get one a tad bigger and it will slide down inside. But they will have to look it up and experiment with it. Take the pipe with you to the parts store. That way you won't have to make several trips. If I can find the second number on the second gasket I list it. The felpro numbers listed above will work on oem pipe and DG and Brother but the chrome sectional pipe is different on the inside and won't let the gasket slip all the way down so you will need to get the one with a little larger ID size which they carry but will have to look up. Start with that and post what you find.

Mosh
01-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Jason Hall cut a groove in my exhaust snout for a o ring like a 250R. A little hi temp copper RTV and it never leaked.
That is why I only let Jason Hall touch my porting..He always goes the xtra mile.
Russ has that motor now.

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Jason Hall cut a groove in my exhaust snout for a o ring like a 250R. A little hi temp copper RTV and it never leaked.
That is why I only let Jason Hall touch my porting..He always goes the xtra mile.
Russ has that motor now.

Im gonna call him and tell him to do that with the two he has of mine!