PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions about clutch on 84 Tecate.

puggerton03
10-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Yesterday was the first time I got to really ride it in the 3 months I've had it and the clutch was slipping bad especially in the higher gears. I took the cover and clutch apart today and the nut that holds the basket on was loose. I'm going to order new friction plates and springs to put it back together. Do I put oil on every plate and friction plate as I put it back together? Also I'm going to give the center nut a quick hit with the impact, can I also give the 5 bolts that hold the springs in a little hit with the impact gun? Does any other clutch cover gasket fit the 84? Like a KX? Thanks.

harryredtrike
10-21-2010, 12:41 AM
do you have the manual?only tighten stuff what the manual calls for.i assume you tore the gasket taking it apart.you can make another one.some people use tar paper,grocery bags,or cereal boxes,yea it works.

puggerton03
10-21-2010, 12:56 AM
I dont have a manual. No, the gasket didnt tear. It's 27 years old. I'd rather use a gasket thats made for it.

MonroeMike
10-21-2010, 01:40 AM
http://tecateprojects.com/manuals.htm

hang&rattle
10-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Could you post up a couple of pictures for me puggerton03?, need to learn. And I couldn't get my hands on an oem gasket in time for my re-build and used an e-bay gasket (impatient I am) and blew the head gasket right out, so use only oem. I think the 83'-84' kx 250 gaskets is what was used on my cover, but might want to match the #'s, I could be wrong and can't quite remember.

puggerton03
10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
What do you want pictures of? I've never posted any before. Your right, the 83-84 gasket is the same, I just ordered one off ebay for 13 bucks, OEM.

hang&rattle
10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Want to see the disassymbly and what to look for in the wear. The fibers, plates and springs. It'll help me identfy wear on my machines. I think they look o.k. now, but have no reference. Also any tips on troubles you can point out. I know for now, that the Tecate clutch is easier than the 200x, the designs on the kxt are simpler, have done other clutches, but have not needed one on the Tecates, knock on wood.

T3 LOPES
10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
you do not put a impact on the spring bolts. they will break. you can use a impact on the basket nut real quick. there a special lock washer that holds the nut in place. use oem plates. there pricey but well worth it. good luck!

Vootie
10-21-2010, 06:41 PM
The five spring bolts get torqued pretty low, somewhere around 7 lbs I think. Also, you'll want to soak the plates overnight in oil before you install them.

puggerton03
10-22-2010, 12:27 AM
OK, thanks guys. Hang, take off the rear brake pedal, a cotter pin holds it on, take out all the perimeter bolts to the side cover and pop it off, then theres five bolts that hold the springs in, theres 7 clutch fibers and 6 steel plates. I just ordered new springs and new fibers along with a new gasket. I took it apart and figured I'd put new stuff in. I dont really know how much material is supposed to be on the fibers until I get my new ones. The fibers, gasket and new springs were about $93. Not too bad. I shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile.

MonroeMike
10-22-2010, 01:37 AM
I dont really know how much material is supposed to be on the fibers until I get my new ones.

From the manual.

Standard 2.92 mm - 3.08 mm

Service Limit 2.8 mm

Jeepermc
10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I've not been into the clutch on mine yet but I think that will be an upcoming project... It's real grabby and after some riding it feels like something is warped in there...it chatters. Is it likely I'll need a basket along with new plates and fibers? I have a general idea on how it works but not enough to diagnose what might be at fault for the chatter..

Great thread!

hang&rattle
10-22-2010, 02:10 PM
OK, thanks guys. Hang, take off the rear brake pedal, a cotter pin holds it on, take out all the perimeter bolts to the side cover and pop it off, then theres five bolts that hold the springs in, theres 7 clutch fibers and 6 steel plates. I just ordered new springs and new fibers along with a new gasket. I took it apart and figured I'd put new stuff in. I dont really know how much material is supposed to be on the fibers until I get my new ones. The fibers, gasket and new springs were about $93. Not too bad. I shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile.

Was that oem? The Tecate studs said to use only oem and they are always right. I think thatTecate's oem are top-notch. Was it the stock clutch that came out? Did anything hang up or stick? Was anything a real pain i.e.: oil rotor on 200x? Thanks, I don't have much confidence in my mechanical abilities, but on here lots of help & support for an infidel like me, and seem to have built a pretty nice little trike, that is attributed to the great folks here.

Vootie
10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I've not been into the clutch on mine yet but I think that will be an upcoming project... It's real grabby and after some riding it feels like something is warped in there...it chatters. Is it likely I'll need a basket along with new plates and fibers? I have a general idea on how it works but not enough to diagnose what might be at fault for the chatter..

Great thread!

In most cases, the "fingers" wear on a clutch basket. If you have grooves appearing in the fingers, it's time to start thinking about a new one.

puggerton03
10-23-2010, 12:23 AM
No, I didn't go with OEM. I ordered the springs and plates through Dennis Kirk and the OEM gasket off EBAY. My clutch was slipping in mostly 4th and 5th at full throttle. I took it apart and saw that the nut that holds the clutch basket on was backed off. I'm going to tighten the nut back up to factory spec put my new plates and springs in and see how it rides. Surprisingly the 2 parts to the basket looks to be in good shape with no grooves or even marks. The steel plates look to be in decent shape too. I don't race it I just ride it around, I think the aftermarket plates will be good. Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. I'll post back up when I get it back together and ride it.

jeswinehart
10-23-2010, 07:44 AM
107741107742107743107744Pug, if you are missing the washer thing with the locking tab you bend over the clutch nut, it is advisable to get one from Kawi. it will most likely work back loose again.
The one I have pictured is almost worn out but will still do better then not using.
I check for flatness with a piece of glass (for the steel plates) and slightly ruff them up before installing. Be sure to get the steel plates and fiber plates all in the same rotation.
Double check that the little ball bearing has not rolled out of the center of the crank before putting the clutch push rod in the end of the crank.
Tighten all clutch bolts down a little evenly so not to put a lot of stress on any one bolt.
I use a cordless drill as a speed wrench (not a final tightening tool) and set the torque on it so it slips long before anything is really tight. it sure speeds up the assembly process.
Probably stuff you already know but just wanted to put it out there.

puggerton03
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Great tip. Thanks. I have the special washer still and looks to be in re-usable shape. I dont know how the nut worked loose. When you say put the steel plates going the same direction as the plates, what do you mean. Aren't they just smooth and flat and act like a spacer between the fibers?

jeswinehart
10-23-2010, 11:28 AM
In pictures 1 and 2 you see the lines that angle out to the edge, on both the fiber and steel plates. They need to go in that rotation, both plates.
I like to roughen up the steel plates a little, both sides so to grab better.
I normally give them a run on the concrete floor (smooth and flat, you do not want them warped or bent)

puggerton03
10-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Put the new clutch in today. Everything went good. I scuffed up the steel plates with 220 grit on both sides. Adjusted clutch cable. Runs and shifts great. Have to wait till this weekend to see how it is in the higher gears. Starts on one kick. Wants to pull the tire to the sky. Very fun to ride!! I also put the stock 230 main jet in it. Someone had a 240 in it so it should be a little crisper. Also got an adjustable shock linkage (dogbone) off an 86 KX250 from Ebay I'll put on tomorrow.

hang&rattle
10-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Great thread!
Now mine started doin' it, darn it. Thought I was done. Chatters a little and drags or something. And I hope it is the clutch and nothing to do with the tranny. The oem clutch in my other motor felt so awesome, it was tight and strong. This new one not as. I want the old clutch in this one, it felt good.

puggerton03
10-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Put the clutch from the old one in the new one! LOL. It's really very simple. You could change it over in less than an hour if you had a new gasket.

Jeepermc
10-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Now mine started doin' it, darn it. Thought I was done. Chatters a little and drags or something. And I hope it is the clutch and nothing to do with the tranny. The oem clutch in my other motor felt so awesome, it was tight and strong. This new one not as. I want the old clutch in this one, it felt good.

Lol...Maybe it's a Montana thing....Mine came from Libby....:crazy: