PDA

View Full Version : ATC125M ignition advance removal help

fatbaq
05-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Ugh, i posted this in the wrong section.. can't figure out how to move it .sorry!

My very first ATC125M engine rebuild has hit yet another bump in the road... so here goes another question for the wise men of the forums...

I finally got the damn phillips head screws loose on the CDI cover (thanks howdy!) only to discover I have no clue how to remove the ignition advance mechanism.

The manual states, "simply remove the bolt holding the rotor and advance and remove the mechanism" but that sucker is locked on there real good... Do I need to run out to NAPA for another special tool??

how do you guys get this part off? please help!

Thanks

jeswinehart
05-28-2003, 11:23 PM
if your 125m is put together like the bigger honda motors they liked using a small pin to keep things in place. it don't go all the way thru.
you'll need small needle nose or forecepts to get ahold of it,,, very small ( and very easy to loose also )

hope it helps + good luck. john

fatbaq
05-29-2003, 10:53 AM
john, thanks for the reply, but I don't see any pin, or anything holding this thing on?

Can anyone explain what holds the spring mechanism in place, other than possible some rust?

thanks

bigred110
05-29-2003, 11:02 AM
You didn't say what year so. You unbolt the rotor and remove the rotor, unbolt the timing plate and take it out, then you should see the advance mech., I can't remeber how to remove it. Make sure you bolt down the rotor before you try to start it, you'll be hitting you head against the wall trying to found out whats wrong with it, if you don't bolt it down it'll jump off and it won't start.

EDIT: I now remeber how I removed mine. It's slides off the camshaft. My didn't want to slide off so I had to get a screwdriver and wedge it between the head and base plate and the wiggle that thing off.