PDA

View Full Version : the 185

dream3wheeler
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I got this thing running about a couple weeks ago and just recently starter really riding it and getting some miles on it. changed the oil and stuff and put a new carb on it. but heres what im kind of interested in. How can i get the best out of it? ive been riding it and when i get it into last gear trying to top it out it sounds like its got a lot more left but it cant build up the speed. and it doesnt have the power i was expecting. overall its really fun and dont have a problem. its a 3 wheeler right! what 3 wheeler isnt fun! but any tips to make it run awesome?

Jimmyt420
10-18-2010, 09:48 PM
check the carb man i got a real nice 185 on my back porch next to my 250r they are sweet trikes good for little ones lol try the carb and i actually just took it out the other day to get it running i start it once or 2 times a month to keep her going and i tried to top it out but i also had that laggy problem its 4h or 5th geear how ever many its got lol i was about half way pinned and i punched it and it didnt go very much faster if at all i think it may just be how they are they sure are good three wheelers though we got that when i was 4 years old i am 19 now lol it still starts first pull everytime lol let me know if you find out that prblem

fabiodriven
10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
It's a small trike by nature. If you want to go faster you should probably look into a 250R or a 350X or something along those lines.

Ironbnder
10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree with Fabio. It sound like your 185 is running fine. When they top out, they are topped out. Performance parts are out there but it is still just a 185. It is great for what it is and how it was designed. Enjoy it.

dream3wheeler
10-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Yea i kind of figured that it was just cause of my weight too cause i was 6 when i first rode the same 185 and it was my neighbors and now im 16 he gave it too me for free i fixed it up and i just thought it was a bit faster but it is a really fun ride. its great in mud lol

Xpress
10-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd take your carb apart, clean it, put it back on, then adjust the valves if you feel like it should have more power. Also, a good exhaust, such as SuperTrapp can remove that flat spot you might be getting.

185's are good fun sport hard tails, so you should be able to have a lot of fun with it :)

Yamaha_Rules69
10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
You can also bolt on a 200s or 200x top end (piston and cylinder) - and gain at least 13cc's that way, or find a 200 motor. It will help a little bit. You can also use the xr 200 cam, and carb, matched with a performance pipe, and some jetting and it will add a lot of noticable power. You can also buy a higher compression piston - 10:1 or 12:1. You better have some hulk hogan arms to pull that baby over though, as well as some tough recoil rope, and race fuel for the 12:1. Many believe that if you mod the 185/200s motors too much though, that it will cause the clutches to slip, and they wont be able to transfer all that power to the wheels. I have heard you can make the 185 motor manual clutch, using some 200x parts like the crank, clutch components, and clutch cover, but I have never tried it, or seen anyone do it, but it could very well be possible, and would be awsome to see.

Xpress
10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
You could also add nitrous or a turbo :lol:

muthey
10-20-2010, 09:17 PM
did you get the axle bolt that I sent and was it hopefully the right one?

83ATC185
10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
You could also add nitrous or a turbo :lol:

i wonder if theres a way to do this. run a belt from the flywheel to a Pontiac Firefly turbocharger mounted between the airbox and carb. it'd take some modding but you never know...

dream3wheeler
10-20-2010, 10:08 PM
did you get the axle bolt that I sent and was it hopefully the right one?

yea i got it, it fit perfect thanks man

dirtdemon
10-20-2010, 10:13 PM
what about a 200x engine