PDA

View Full Version : muffler packing

tri again
10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
mostly 250 sx and es's.

I got some tight steel wool and it did nothing.

Thought about some loosely packed stainless steel wool but got some fiberglass looking sheets from the bike shop. say 3/8" thick, wrapped the perforated core and it sounds great!!!

Even read the directions.

but it's not quiet.

This particular trike has a 17" tapered tube that says "cob..." on it.

maybe cobra?

anyway

I found a big car muffler on the side of the road by the stop sign and was thinking I could hang it off the racks and running the exhaust thru that too.

I've been told I'm nuts already so anything other than that would be welcomed.

Don't really want to scare the wildlife so quieter is better for me.

Thanks.

ps

when I slapped my gloves together after I was done with the bike shop packing , there were silvery sparkles in the air everywhere, so I wasn't too thrilled about breathing that stuff either, or leaving it in a trail behind me.

harryredtrike
10-17-2010, 10:59 PM
boy you put that car muffler on and the word cob fits right in.why dont you buy the stealth muffler for atv's.i know cabellas has it and a few others for a better price.

Rjfabwerx
10-17-2010, 11:09 PM
The silencers that harryredtrike is talking about work great...I run one on my 650 Prairie during deer season...you can't even hear the thing, they're no joke if you get them sealed good...

tri again
10-17-2010, 11:20 PM
perfect.

Thanks

I heard a few days ago on here that gander? has an add on silencer for 50 bucks, down from 150.

Instead of requiring an ID card, IQ cards should be required to buy, use or borrow tools, eh?

TommyBoy1971
10-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I think they hunt with em too. although smell seems to be a bigger issue.

mtsnieg
10-18-2010, 08:12 AM
"boy you put that car muffler on and the word cob fits right in" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Years ago I had a 83 Big Red that came witha tractor muffler on it. One of those smaller smoke stack type ones run where the muffler was. It was pretty quit but fugly.

Frankencelery
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I do all my deer hunting around my home, and since all my stands are within 1/2 mile of the house, I always walk. But my knee is giving me trouble (sucks to get old) and I'm finding I can't make it to the farthest ones. So Saturday I took my son's 70 to within 100 yards of the stand I was planning to hunt, and parked it next to some farm equipment at my neighbor's farm. I used the 70 because it's sooo quiet, but I'm sure I looked ridiculous with my camo and my bow slung over my shoulder. I'd much rather take the SX, but the muffler is like swiss cheese, and it's not at all quiet.

So assuming I can buy a muffler for this thing (I look on and off, but most of the ones on fleabay are way overpriced) does that silencer fit on the 250SX muffler?

Crap...I just hijacked your thread drjoe. Sorry. You've definitely got a Cobra there, and the only time those are quiet is if you don't start the engine! Stock is pretty quiet if you can find one at a decent price. There was some discussion about a while back about using a Ford tractor FO-4 style muffler, but it would require a bit of work to make it fit. I don't remember how that came out, but those are relatively cheap too.