PDA

View Full Version : a bunch of questions.....

cutthroatxxx
10-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Ok I've asked some of these questions about my 1983 200 atc allready but haven't gotten much of a response so....1st lately when I go to turn my gas on it'll sound like running water&its really loud also after I ride for awhile some gas will come out from under my cap onto my tank like its overflowing then it'll stop coming out&not happen again for awhile.Also I don't think my cap is venting properly is there a way to drill a hole to aid in it venting?&is there a way to hook up a car headlight to work or a parking light that I can put in my oem headlight?Also my light switch will not go into the high position only off &low.Please help answering these questions if you can.Thanks!

Howdy
10-17-2010, 08:02 AM
If the gas cap isn't venting properly then either replace or repair it. If your carefull you can take most styles apart clean and re assemble them. I never reccomend drilling a hole in them.

Headlight: I have seen a few machines with smaller ( low wattage ) driving / fog lights used for headlights.

switch: Might need to take it apart, inspect, clean, or replace it. It's possible there might just be dirt inside it.

JustEnough
10-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Sounds like the vent in the cap is not working properly. If the problem is rust, you may be able to soak it in vinegar to clean it, then flush thoroughly with a hose to neutralize the vinegar.

I make rubber gaskets out of old inner tubes for my gas tank caps and they work great.

coolpool
10-17-2010, 10:17 AM
I have personal experience with a plugged gas cap that would not cooperate even after a cleaning. On advice from another forum member I removed the gasket and drilled a 1/16th hole where the gasket usually sits. Drill the hole on the side where the shoulder of the gasket sits, not on the top. This little fix saved me $85.00 for a new cap and it hasn't leaked even with a full tank of gas. If you need more clarification I could take a picture when I get home tonight.

cutthroatxxx
10-18-2010, 12:11 AM
A pic would rock!

coolpool
10-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I hope this helps any one who has dealt with a plugged gas cap and can't get it clean. The hole is very tiny (1/16th) and will be covered by the gasket shoulder if done right. I know this isn't the "right" way of fixing the problem but it works until a reasonably priced cap can be found.

cutthroatxxx
10-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Do I drill it till it comes out of the top?