PDA

View Full Version : 87 250sx ;)

three_wheelin45
10-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Well i was up at my deer lease today and past a dude on a 250sx and i waved him down and we got to talkin and its a 87 model and my dad saw me talkin to him and came up and asked if he wanted to sell it? the guy says ehh idk i just got it, but if someone threw 1k at me id take it. im thinking yea i bet you would. On the car ride home my dad said we might talk him down and buy it. so wish me luck ;)

QCR77
10-16-2010, 08:17 PM
well played 3wheelin-45, well played

three_wheelin45
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
WTF???!!! :mad: I cant believe it, heres that 250sx on CL http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2014936043.html 1500$ :mad:

obijuan
10-22-2010, 11:57 PM
sounds like you should hurry.

three_wheelin45
10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
1500$!!!!! that things mabey worth 800$-1000$ not 1500$ everyone around here thinks three wheelers are "rare" and should sell for double there retail value -_-

obijuan
10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
theres also a thing called a craigslist price and a real price. somebody who dont know offers him 1250 think he jewed the guy down and got a deal, where the guy basically made an extra 250 bucks on top of what he wanted.

go WITH CASH $800-$1000 depending on your top dollar, and walk away after you max out. if he wants to sell it bad enough he will stop you from getting in the car.

Dirtcrasher
10-24-2010, 01:24 PM
^ I agree.... 1000 and 2 pockets seperate with a hundred each in them ought to do it. As long as it's in very good shape.

Ask him to check the differential fluid with you, if it's milky you have more reason to cut down the price as well as cracks in the rear fenders, ripped seat, dead battery, no keyswitch anymore or ticking in the engine.

Then you may want to re-think what it's value really is......

Xpress
10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, check it out thoroughly before you throw down big cash like that. All the details like diff fluid, switches, and so on really bring the actual value down.

Sometimes, if they see that you know what you're talking about, then they will go down on the price. I'm sure he knows what it's really worth, but he's got the price high so that some less knowledgeable triker will come along and pay for it, thinking he/she's getting a good deal.

I know of a guy that paid nearly 3 grand for an okay condition '86 350X that needed some minor engine maintenance, because he bought the sellers "EXTREMELY RARE!! ONE OF VERY FEW LEFT" speech. As he later found out, he way overpaid for it.

teddcmiller
10-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey I hope it goes good for you man. I've got an 86 250sx and I love it! They are a nice smooth ride. I bought the 250 and a 110 for $150 cause the guy didnt know what he had lol. Good Luck Man!

tri again
10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I just got a nice garage kept original sx

Tank had teeny tiny paint bubbles in the bottom,, ALL leaks.

Diff fluid was ok (17mm wrench and ONLY 3 point 3 ounces) and swing arm bearings were ok too.. Killer stuff to check as in, no fun to fix.

Also make sure the choke works..it is a piston that can get terminally stuck.

Ask to see it run from dead cold.

I don;t like to walk up to them and find out they start and run perfectly and you know they started it way before you got there.

Some of them had factory recall cold start issues....a MAJor pain to fix.

I also had one that ran pretty good cold but after it warmed up I had to walk 50 feet away so the timing chain slap and rocker rapp rattle didn't make me sick.

At whatever price, they are cheaper than new At whatevers and usually take more time than $$ to fix if you're careful.

swifty
10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
drjoe71 do you know what was involved with the cold start recall i got a mint 86 sx had the carb professionaly rebuild with new kit and its still cold blooded as hell

Dirtcrasher
10-24-2010, 07:44 PM
^ Larger starter jet and a bunch of hose crap. The8/87 are not affected.

If you don't start in the cold, the starter or pilot jet are dirty and or the airscrew is messed up............

TheRealFatShady
10-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Hoses/cold start kit = 06161-HA0-305

Thread on it. (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/archive/index.php/t-19457.html) And another with pic of kit. (http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12569)

Info:
http://www.3wheeler.org/tech/06161-HA0-305_INSTRUCT1_50.jpg
http://www.3wheeler.org/tech/06161-HA0-305_INSTRUCT2_50.jpg

three_wheelin45
10-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Yea I allready went and looked at it, hell im the one who found it before he put it on craigslist. It has the key still and all brakes work and it makes no odd noise. No cracked fenders, except in the rear theres about an half inch crack. But anyways I called the dude and my dad was gona buy it for him self untill I got money to buy it from him. The dude said he sold it allready and he was waiting for the deal to go through.

tri again
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
drjoe71 do you know what was involved with the cold start recall i got a mint 86 sx had the carb professionaly rebuild with new kit and its still cold blooded as hell

Exactly what DC said. 85 model years affected by recall..Keihin 02 carbs or QA 01 number.

Heck, the shop may have swapped your good 86 carb for a pos QA01.

Stranger things have happened.

Odd that there is still a cold start issue.

I had 2 carbs under hot water with new jets etc but the internal passages were plugged on one of them.
The only way I could tell was by blowing air thru all the passages on both of them and look for bubbles.

The chokes are def weird.

Mini piston plunger with a needle like the main throttle.

The needle pulls up and allows it to open an enrichment circuit so it's NOT a choke as in covering the intake with your hand.

If it was done at a shop, they watch the clock and get yelled at more than they watch what they're doing usually.

I don't mind those carbs I just dislike the olymipc wrestling match to get them off and back on, so it's nice to get it neurotically and obsessively correct while they are off.

A funny thing about the 86+ years, they changed the cold start jet and put a rubber plug in the old casting holes and I;'ve seen them swimming loose in the float bowl which would prob change the vacuum necessary for the cold start circuit to work correctly.

Will it start with 8 or 10 perfectly positioned compression stroke kicks but not with 10 / 5 second electric starter bursts?

just one more odd clue.

Keep us posted. If you need your machine , it will be on a dark cold rainy night for a seriously good reason, so let;s get you going.

tri again
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Yea I allready went and looked at it, hell im the one who found it before he put it on craigslist. It has the key still and all brakes work and it makes no odd noise. No cracked fenders, except in the rear theres about an half inch crack. But anyways I called the dude and my dad was gona buy it for him self untill I got money to buy it from him. The dude said he sold it allready and he was waiting for the deal to go through.

I got my sx b/c the guy had at least 10 people interested and they ALL flaked.
so he called me.

Make sure he's got your number.