PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber or kevlar fenders, short track tank and shrouds price survey

tundrawillie
10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Okay, I'm ready to start the molding of 250R fenders, short track tank and shrouds.

Here's what I need to know...

For you guys that want these items, what would you be willing to pay for carbon fiber items in your choice of colors?
I'm going to drop some serious cash into materials to make these parts available. Not looking to make a killing, but I need to make enough profit to justify the time and labor.

Rear Fender? $500.00?
Front Fender? $200.00?
Short track tank? $900.00?
Short track tank shrouds? $200.00?
Stock tank?
Stock shrouds?

Please share your thoughts. Spare me the hate.

NINJA
10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Good luck is all I'm going to say.

tundrawillie
10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I kinda feel the same way. Cost will be calculated after the prototypes are made. Could be a lot less. We'll see.

willrideanythin
10-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I have a guy that will build me a complete body for 500, Tweak you prices a bit.

Not crappin in your parade, I am watching this thread closely.

tundrawillie
10-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, I might end up making two sets. One for Billy Golightly and one for myself.

KASEY
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a guy that will build me a complete body for 500, Tweak you prices a bit.

Not crappin in your parade, I am watching this thread closely.

YEAH YOU PRETTY MUCH ARE!!! a complete body for what? and is it a favor or what,,, hell give the guy a chance to do something... very stupid comment!!!

ceaserthethird
10-15-2010, 04:36 AM
I think the Short track Shrouds is good Price, $200 shipped...

Let me know once you make any shrouds.

tundrawillie
10-15-2010, 07:39 AM
The $500.00 price seems a bit low. I'd have that much invested in the carbon fiber cloth alone. The holographic carbon fiber is $100.00 a YARD (50 inches wide). $500 would be possible with black fiberglass (CF clone, but no strength properties of real CF).

tundrawillie
10-15-2010, 07:41 AM
I think the Short track Shrouds is good Price, $200 shipped...

Let me know once you make any shrouds.

http://compositeenvisions.com/raw-fabric-cloth-2/

Browse through the choices and let me know what material you'd like to see shrouds made of. Lots of nice colors on that site.

Billy Golightly
10-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't think will was trying to crap on the thread, just offer up what he had found in his research of the project. I know nothing about carbon fiber stuff other than it isn't cheap :)

TommyBoy1971
10-15-2010, 08:47 AM
I think any of that holographic color ill be sweet!

Billy Golightly
10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
The carbon/zylon hybrid looks pretty cool from that page.

tundrawillie
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Zylon is a relatively new product. Its actually stronger than CF. I thought about a Joker themed trike. Use the purple/black carbon kevlar blend for fenders, green seat, orange frame and other oddly placed orange and green pieces to portray the twisted perspective of the Joker.

dksix
10-15-2010, 05:28 PM
How flexible will the parts be? Considering what a high quality CF hood cost for a car, $500 for rear fenders doesn't sound out of line. Not many would pay that much but this isn't aimed at the masses but a select few who truly goes into a build with an end result in mind, not the budget. I work in thermoforming and I understand that some of the newest polymers (under patent) are very very costly. Most things like that are engineered for military, aerospace and so forth with function taking precedence over cost. That's just covering the cost of material, tooling and machine cost to manufacture such items can be extravagant as well. With all that being said, these are items that will see the harshest of working environments. So durability would be the question in my mind. If these are a durable as an OEM, as trick looking as they sound and fit well I think you could find a niche market. Especially if you are able to mix and match the layered colors to create 1 off finishes. In comparison to what I've heard of custom finished car's, boats and bikes: $1800 doesn't even sound like that much (now let me run that logic by the wife and put me down as a maybe, LOL). Good luck to you sir, I'm always glad to see innovation.

Mosh
10-15-2010, 05:34 PM
At $200 per set, I would be interested in some Dark translucent Red or Black Carbon Short track shrouds.
I will have to wait to see the end result, and check my funds.

tundrawillie
10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Certainly Mosh. I would never offer anything for sale unless it is flawless and beautiful. I've built $20,000.00 car audio systems with enough fiberglass work to build a complete corvette body. 3 Wheelers are my first love. I'm ready to build something that makes even Honda stand up and notice. BTW, Honda Pwersports on facebook took a poll on color combos for the TRX450R. Sounds like they're getting ideas for the soon-to-be-released '11 or '12 model R. I recommended Passion Red plastic, blue seat, blue shock springs and gold anodized wheels, aka Retro 85. I posted a link to the David Bailey replica 500AF on Service Honda's website. Whomever handles the Honda fb page replied "Excellent idea, beautiful bike!" If they release a new R with this color scheme, I'll HAVE to buy one. Might not ride it, but it will be in my shop. Back problems prevent any "spirited" riding. Bad day on a TRX250R back in '96...