PDA

View Full Version : 125m problems

Wobler
10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I recently bought a Honda 125m and having problems. It ran great untill i decided to run it across a creek which was only about a foot deep. It stopped running so i cleaned the carb and just changed the oil and it started up fine, first pull without the choke. I ran it around for a coup hours and then left it sit for a day and now when i start it i have oil leaking out of the muffler by the motor. It also smokes like no other which im assuming its because the oil leaking on the motor and burning off.

The muffler has been welded i dont know how many times, so i'm looking to put a new one on. I'm also looking to tear the motor apart and change all the gaskets and seals. I'm wondering why the oil is leaking out and why so much smoke, it's like it never quits smoking. Had it started for about 15 min's and smoked like a chimney the whole time. And it just doesn't seem like it's running right. I pull starts first time all the time without the choke even being on. It never leaked as much oil as it was even days after i changed the oil. Is this a quick fix?

ATCrider42
10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm no engine pro but it sounds like maybe your exhaust valve is stuck? Take the valve cap off and check your valve for movement as you turn the engine over by hand. That would be where I would start. Otherwise maybe you put the wrong oil in it and did damage to the engine......

mrcribbs
10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Is it leaking between the head and the cylinder? The oil for the head goes up on of the long studs that stick out of the cases. There is two o-rings, on two different studs between the head and the cylinder.

If oil is leaking from there then your head isn't getting the oil flow it should, I wouldn't run it much until you get it figured out.

fabiodriven
10-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm no engine pro but it sounds like maybe your exhaust valve is stuck?.

I don't understand what the deal is with the rash of "Stuck valve" diagnoses is lately.

PEOPLE- If a valve is stuck, the engine will not run!

Wobler
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with fabio, typically it wont even start if the valve is stuck and that's on almost any recreational vehicle. I put 10w 30 atv oil in it and only a bit over a qt. It's dripping out right where the muffler is bolted to the motor and dripping pretty consistant, only while running though. Also had a bit spitting out of the muffler when i hit the throttle. I fought with the welded on muffler for about an hour and finally got it off, people in welding .. i dont understand it, just buy new instead of making it look all ghetto. It smoked like no other though while running .. pure white smoke too. I don't plan on running it untill i get it figured out. I'm just kinda stumped. Any other thoughts would be helpful. Thanks again

ATCrider42
10-14-2010, 04:04 PM
ya you guys are totally right. It wouldn't run. I was thinking about that after I posted that. I should prolly not post to people's problems unless I know what I'm talking about, huh? oops.
White smoke means it's burning water. Blue is oil and black is fuel. So you must still have some water in the engine or fuel. Did you replace the gas in the tank?

mrcribbs
10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Pics would help this tread immensely!

Wobler
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
What you want pics of? Yeah i drained all the gas and before i cleaned the carb.

mrcribbs
10-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Where the oil is dripping from.

squirrel1182
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
ya you guys are totally right. It wouldn't run. I was thinking about that after I posted that. I should prolly not post to people's problems unless I know what I'm talking about, huh? oops.
White smoke means it's burning water. Blue is oil and black is fuel. So you must still have some water in the engine or fuel. Did you replace the gas in the tank?

My kawi smoked white but it was because the rings were bad. Never detected any blue in it. Personally id drain all the oil and gas and refill try start it. If it still smokes the next step would be buyin a top end rebuild kit with rings and valve guide seals.

Mr_RPM
10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
oil coming out of the header (burning atleast) Im not sure why this would happen just because of a creek crossing.
if its burning oil it means somehow oil is getting into the combustion chamber. that means piston rings, bad valve, intake valve guide seal. I dont think the exhaust valve has a guide seal because it points up away from the oil (my 110 doesn't) so somehow you got a leak somewhere letting oil in.
make sure its not water, but you have had it running for a while so i dont think thats it.
what does the smoke smell like? is it a real nasty smell? (like oil burning)

inspect around for cracks and leaks, rarely but sometime a hot engine into a cold bath can cause problems like that.

mrcribbs
10-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I dont think the exhaust valve has a guide seal because it points up away from the oil (my 110 doesn't).

The '84 125M has an exhaust valve seal. The '85 has both an intake and an exhaust valve seal.

Mr_RPM
10-14-2010, 05:52 PM
The '84 125M has an exhaust valve seal. The '85 has both an intake and an exhaust valve seal.
Im betting it could be that then.
all i know is my 110 didn't have one before tearing it down and there was no exhaust guide seal available to order when ordering a intake seal.
but i could imagine the 125m could