PDA

View Full Version : First gen Tecate rear shock questions

fabiodriven
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
OK, I've searched for a while now and I just read the entire Tecate parts swap thread (awesome thread BTW) and I have yet to get some definitive answers on this question.

Both my Tecate and TecateDan's are going to need new rear shocks. I have read on here numerous times how the 300EX shock works on Tecates, and I have one on my 86, but it only fits if mounted upside down and it didn't take long to blow. I haven't even ridden my 86 once, and it blew. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that it's mounted upside down or if it's just coincidence.

Both Dan and I have 85's now that need rear shocks. I know that SBLT500R rebuilds the factory Kayaba, but I am curious if the 300EX shock is a superior unit and I want to know how well it fits and performs. Basically, should we have our stock Tecate shocks rebuilt or buy a 300EX shock? Who has a 300EX shock in their first gen? Is it a direct bolt-in?

I want to hear from you guys who have actually done this and answer this question once and for all. I would like to find the answer to this and add it to the Tecate parts swap thread. Thank you.

Xpress
10-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I too am curious to see what people have done.

Zane
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
You can buy a new aftermarket shock from Works. They built mine up and it works great.

devilman
10-13-2010, 03:30 PM
i think i remember reading somewhere that a raptor shock works also flipped up side down.

fabiodriven
10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
You can buy a new aftermarket shock from Works. They built mine up and it works great.

Do I even want to know how much that cost?

fabiodriven
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
i think i remember reading somewhere that a raptor shock works also flipped up side down.

OK, I think I did too now that you mention it. Anybody know for sure?

Gag_Halfront
10-13-2010, 03:57 PM
After blowing 2 Tecate shocks, I bought a 300EX shock off feeBay for $1. The kid lived near me and I picked it up on my way home from work so i didn't even have to pay shipping. :-)

After riding that 300EX shock for a year including plenty of motocross and jumping (Not insane canadian jumping, just the stuff mere mortals do) Here's my conclusion:

I'll never use a Tecate shock again. Do I think the 300ex shock is the best? No. It probably isn't. There are probably shocks that would give a better ride but it works pretty darned good and I have had zero problems with it.

It is not a perfect fit. You have to use a step bit and drill out the top shock mount on the bike by one size. This takes about a minute. After that, then it bolts right in. I can't speak to a shock blowing if you run it upside down, but i can say that my 300ex shock works as well as I could ask for a cheap replacement. Maybe some day I'll spend the money and see what a good expensive shock could do for me, but in the meantime I'm very happy with what I've got.

tecat-z
10-13-2010, 04:25 PM
I've been running them since tf 06. Which was the first time anyone i know of had run them. They are affordable and pretty durable. I havent had a failure yet, and i currently have them on two different machines. The best? No, but more than adequate for most of us. Running them in a so called upside down position effects nothing. This is simly due to the solid mount point on the Tecate being in the down position as opposed to the conventional up spot. They are high pressure units, and they dont know the diff. I've rebuilt many of my own shocks from trx 250r, atc250r. tri-z, Tecate, yz's ect. The only way to successfully rebuild a unit is if the shaft is not damaged, and the body bore is perfect. Since the bodys are made of soft, non hardcoat bore material they wear like a cylinder bore. They can't be cut so putting a new seal head is a complete waste of time. They simply won't last. If you choose to get a 300 shock, search for the lowest hour unit possible. Since they are considered throw away units. Very nice shocks can be had for under $100 in near new cond.

Yamaha_Rules69
10-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, a raptor rear shock will also work. It has to be mounted upside down, and will only work from the 2001 raptor - it has the resovoir attached on a hose, similar to the tecate shock. The newer raptor shocks have the one piece resovoir, built onto the shock, and it will not clear. I think the raptor shock would have a lot more travel than the 300ex, and I know there are a few guys on here have done it, and are happy with the shock. I also remember you have to find somewhere to mount the resovoir, and also drill the shock mount, I believe the same as stated above.

fabiodriven
10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow guys. Those are some great replies! That is exactly the info I was looking for. I am going to do this swap myself and I'll try to collaborate everything you guys just said so I can post it in the Tecate parts swap thread. Thank you all so much!

Vootie
10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I run an '01 rappy shock upside down, wayyyy better than stock and quite a bit better than an ex shock. You can't run an air box with the raptor shock though, just so you are aware.

Xpress
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I run an '01 rappy shock upside down, wayyyy better than stock and quite a bit better than an ex shock. You can't run an air box with the raptor shock though, just so you are aware.

What modifications did you have to do to get it to fit?

fabiodriven
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
OK so, no airbox with the Raptor shock. That's some good info. Are you 300EX guys able to run the airbox?

tecat-z
10-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Stock everything, in exact oem location...........

TommyBoy1971
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
i thought i read that a warrior shock would work as well? Dennis kirk sells Works replacement shocks For the raptor, 300ex, and warrior, $625 bucks though. I think the 300ex shock they have has a resivoir.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=XBJTVQCHLDGE3QFIDYESM4WAVAP AQIV0?store=&skuId=581537&mmy=#fitment

Hoosier_Daddy
10-14-2010, 12:04 AM
I haven't had a ton of time on it but I have the upside down 300EX shock and no problems as of yet. Guess we'll see when I get it back together.

puggerton03
10-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I Just bolted a 300ex on my 84 about 2 days ago. The drill bit size to drill out the top mount is 15/32. I dont know what you guys are talking about when you say upside down. I bolted mine in with the main shock body at the top.

Gag_Halfront
10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
OK so, no airbox with the Raptor shock. That's some good info. Are you 300EX guys able to run the airbox?

Air box??? What's that?

fabiodriven
10-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Air box??? What's that?

Hehe. I prefer to run an airbox on my Tecate. I do play in the mud and streams a lot.

Vootie
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
What modifications did you have to do to get it to fit?

No mods, I was mistaken when I said I mounted it upside down, it's right side up. I used the grommets from the stock tecate shock in the rappy shock is all, and some flat washers to take up any side to side slack. No drilling or frame modding required.

hang&rattle
10-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Super-duper thread Tecate guys. I was gonna take a chance and order a rebuilt 91' works quadracer shock for $250, that would have possibly been costly. This is what nd4speed was talking about, helping out, less secrets. (I'm not wearing any underwear).

sblt500r
10-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Super-duper thread Tecate guys. I was gonna take a chance and order a rebuilt 91' works quadracer shock for $250, that would have possibly been costly. This is what nd4speed was talking about, helping out, less secrets. (I'm not wearing any underwear).

91-92 lt250r shock won't work. the lower mount is a fork shape, the pivot bearing is in the linkage. the 85-90 lt250r shock may work, but i never tried. you would also need a longer rezzie line as the lt line is short. i tried a zilla shock on a 86 t3 and its too long.

i've rebuilt a bunch of t3 shocks and i haven't gotten any bad news about them, blowing prematurly and such. some t3 shocks are junk because the shock was blown, all the oil leaked out and they were still rode on which wears the insides and shaft out. they also need stiffer springs, in my opinion.

the 250x/300ex shock is a nonrebuildale shock. if you get a nice one they should work good for awhile. i know the stock shock on my 250x sucks, and i plan on putting a lt250r shock in its place. one of these days.

fabiodriven
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I just ordered a 300EX shock yesterday and TecateDan is getting a Raptor shock so we'll be able to compare both installation and the performance differences between the two. Stay tuned...

Meat-BoX
11-09-2010, 10:57 AM
108998108996I did the Raptor Shock 1st and didnt like the setup and the short res. The Res holder on my frame was broke off also. It just wasnt good for me and I believe it was upside down. It didnt last long. I then bought a brand new 300ex shock off e-bay for like $60 and it just slid right in. Allready had the top mount drilled from the Raptor shock. I like it alot for my simple needs. "Tecate sitting for years":crazy: lol But seriously, I did get to run it for a bit pretty hard on a Track behind my house and it was nice. A bit stiff but I just needed to adjust it. I kind of like that bit of red in between the different colors of my Tecate also. Um Is my 300EX upside down? Just noticed that it may be?

fabiodriven
11-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I think that may be upside down. I was told that it shouldn't matter which way you mount it, but I literally watched my 300EX shock blow in front of my eyes and I'm curious if it was because it was mounted upside down. It's on my 86 Tecate which I have never ridden. The shock was mounted and just sitting in the bike. I moved the trike one day and took a peek at the shock. I could see it bubbling out of the seal. I dunno... I'd like to mount this thing right side up if possible.

Dan wants to try the Raptor shock because it's supposedly the better performer of the two. He's going to get a longer rezzy hose for it and mount it properly while he has the bike down to the frame so we shall see.

Meat-BoX
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
This question has been argued for several years Raptor or 300EX shock. Im glad you guys are doing both and hopefully you can test run each ride and give us the lo down on which is the best and easiest to install. Yea I always wondered about upside down shocks. Just doesnt seem natural. They werent made that way. Only time and your product review can tell. :)

T3 LOPES
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
the 300 ex shock works well but i have broke 2 of them and my buddie broke 1 of his . 1 of the tabs broke the spring on where u ajust it. i am useing a banshee shock on my plus 2 tecate and it is greatt. but it has to be ran upside down and with no air box. it will not work on my westcoast but would work on a stock style arm like my champion. good luck

ezmoney1979
11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I know we were talking first gen T3 but I thought I would share. I decided to go with the 85-90 lt250r shock (sounds like I'm the only one lol). I was wanting to retain a stock appearance for my 87 KXT restore/rebuild (they look similar). The lt shock itself is slightly longer and the stroke is also (approx. 3/4"). The adjustable turnbuckle has plenty of range to compensate. The shocks use the same seal head and the the upper mount is also the same (10mm). Only the bottom mount needs addresed. I accomplished this with the puchase of a needle bearing (sorry cant remember the size- i.d. is 12mm i think).- very easy. I am using the stock reservoir and hose. The lt shocks are easy to come by and cheap (I paid $40 for two complete rebuildable shocks with an extra spring- shipped- ebay) but they probably suffer from the same premature failure as the T3 (maybe I should have rebuilt them both??? lol). As for performance I am not sure yet as my bike is not yet complete, so this is kind of an experiment. I have a +4 swingarm so I am using the heaviest spring I have to start. T3-top lt250r-bottom http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/2010147.jpg test fitting to make sure shock did not hit bottom of seat- its a little close http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/2010142.jpg I dont know if this help you first gen guys or not? I will let you guys know about the performance when I give it a dune beating!!

fabiodriven
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
It absolutely helps. I will not be running an LT shock, but the more info we can gather the better. Thanks!

T3 LOPES
11-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I forgot to mention that the banshee shock is fully adjustable and its 1 in shorter than stock. great for ice racin flat trackin. that is if you like it being low. i use it on the mx track and it worked great. just another option.

fabiodriven
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I got my 300EX shock installed today. It does have to mount upside-down, but it was pretty easy. As stated by the other guys, all you have to do is open up the hole on the upper mount on the trike and viola! Done.

Unfortunately, TecateDan is doing the 300EX shock as well so we will not be doing a comparison between the two. :(

Sorry guys.

fabiodriven
11-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I've got a question guys. I have installed my shock and it's definitely a bit stiff for me. I'm only 150 lbs if I'm lucky. I'm guessing I can replace the stock spring with a lighter one. Does anyone know for sure if I can do that? Do they sell lighter springs for those?

dcreel
11-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Have you tried adjusting the preload on the spring? I'm sure somebody sells a lighter spring for the 300ex.

Tecate 50
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
I've got a question guys. I have installed my shock and it's definitely a bit stiff for me. I'm only 150 lbs if I'm lucky. I'm guessing I can replace the stock spring with a lighter one. Does anyone know for sure if I can do that? Do they sell lighter springs for those?

Do you have the shock set on the soft position?

fabiodriven
11-29-2010, 11:43 PM
The preload is set as soft as it can go. I'm assuming that is the only adjustment.

Tecate 50
11-29-2010, 11:49 PM
The preload is set as soft as it can go. I'm assuming that is the only adjustment.

Yeah thats it then....not sure on springs! I think there is a company called Race Tech that might have something available, or Marvin Shaw for a custom spring to your requirements!

fabiodriven
11-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Hmmm.... I wonder if I could sneak my Tecate spring back in there....

rasorroad250r
11-30-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a 300 ex shock on my tecate. I like the way it fits and looks. One thing I really dislike is the lack of adjustable rebound damping. It's too fast or springy, espcially in the deep desert whoops out here.I was bouncing off them more than I would have liked. I would like a shock on mine with adjustable rebound daming for sure. I came off of 86 R's which had rebound daming so I may just need to get used to it. If I softened up my forks it might help as right now the front is stiffer than the back. I am not gonna pay big bucks for anything so hopefully we can find a cheap adjustable rebound shock for these things. Does anybody have any experience wioth the adjustable strut? I assume in the tallest position it would soften the shock. I run mine tall and like the way it sits.

fabiodriven
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Does anybody have any experience with the adjustable strut? I assume in the tallest position it would soften the shock. I run mine tall and like the way it sits.

I have the adjustable strut on mine and I had to put it in the tallest position once I put the EX shock in. The EX shock seems to have a "droop" factor to it. With the Tecate shock the trike sits where it sits. With the EX shock it sits a little low, but when you pull up on the grab bar it goes up another two inches or so. If you push it down without pulling back up on the machine, it will stay about two inches lower.

fabiodriven
11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I just eyeballed the two units side by side. At this point I can't see why you couldn't use the Tecate spring in the EX shock. Stay tuned...

rasorroad250r
11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
So it sounds like you could get a longer travel shock in there tah what the 300 ex shock offers. I still have my tecate shock I may try that spring too to soften it up.

nd4speed
12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
I am so happy to see an LT250R shock on a Tecate. I had an LT and T3 shock side by side like that and knew it was an option.
And the rezzie line looks plenty long enough (has to be longer than Raptor one) and easy to mount.

Where did you mount the rezzie?.

Can't wait to hear I should have never sold my LT shock.

Tecate250
01-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Well I dont know about all you guys But I have a 2001 raptor shock and im running an air box. You just have to mount the rezzy on the swinger. Been on the bike for 4 years now.

hang&rattle
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Well I dont know about all you guys But I have a 2001 raptor shock and im running an air box. You just have to mount the rezzy on the swinger. Been on the bike for 4 years now.

Pictures Tecate250, pictures. And You guys are the brains of the outfit, but I found this on .org for a 3rd generation R. What other spring may fit the 300ex, say, shorter? If shorter with this spacer, or something like it, the spring will be softer (right?). Only problem is $, the spacer is pricy. But Dirtcrasher or FlyingW (.org) could fab something up (?). This is a trx spring (9") on a R shock (R spring about 10"). Like I said, you guys are the bains of the outfit, I'm just the good lookin' one.

fabiodriven
03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Well, I took the Tecate out in the pits, in the woods, and on the high-tensions about two weeks ago. Here's what I think of the EX shock.

It does seem a bit stiff when cruising through the pits, not too bad in decent trails, but in the whoops it's great. When we were going on whoops for a good 15 minutes straight on the power lines it really just soaked it up. I'll ride it some more and see how it goes.

Jeepermc
03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the report back FD.. Did you end up swapping springs or still running the stock 300 spring on it?

fabiodriven
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Still the EX spring.

hang&rattle
03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Well, I took the Tecate out in the pits, in the woods, and on the high-tensions about two weeks ago. Here's what I think of the EX shock.

It does seem a bit stiff when cruising through the pits, not too bad in decent trails, but in the whoops it's great. When we were going on whoops for a good 15 minutes straight on the power lines it really just soaked it up. I'll ride it some more and see how it goes.

So, does it sink less fabiodriven when your seated? Than a Tecate shock I mean. And was it longer when installed? Did the linkage make up for it if it was? Or is your trike a touch higher in back? Was just out checkin' on my Tecate in the garage making sure it was being good and noticed when I sat on it it really sinks now, possible did something in the cold this winter, but was stiff & I couldn't tell.

fabiodriven
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I think it sinks less now when seated. I'm pretty sure the length of the EX shock is almost the same. I'd have to take the EX shock out and compare them side-by-side to see for sure, but I think the EX shock may have been a hair longer.

I run an adjustable dog bone, so I don't know if it sits any different with the EX shock. I just put the trike up or down as I need to depending on what kind of riding I'm going to be doing and what size tires I'm going to run.

If yours feel soft now, it may be blown. My EX shock on my 86 Tecate blew in front of my eyes on the first really cold night of winter 2 years ago. Something about the cold weather blows shocks from what I was told.

fabiodriven
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I would like to add that an adjustable dog bone is highly recommended with the EX shock. The bike will be lower without the adjustable dog bone.

TecateDan cut and lengthened his stock 85 dog bone until he was able to find an adjustable one.

HondaRidr
01-03-2012, 03:41 AM
Has anyone tried a raptor 700 rear shock? You can run a 02 and up 660 rear shock (if you don't run an airbox) so why wouldn't a 700 rear shock work? I think they are about an 1" longer (correct me if I'm wrong) and the shock off the special edition raptor has high and low speed compression adjustment.