PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank powder coating

PAPA250r
10-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Was wondering if 250$ bucks is a high price to have a gas tank sandblasted and powdercoated ? Its an 84 200s tank

Does that sound high ? Or is that in line

I am located in nyc. Thanks

tundrawillie
10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
That might be the norm in NYC, but it's highway robbery in Alabama. Make sure it's either soda blasted or bead blasted. You don't want the metal distorted from heat. I'll do it for $125.00.

dksix
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Depending on the condition of the tank and what kind finish you are wanting. If your tank is in bad shape (lots or rust, lots of stickers or if you want dents fixed) that could be a fair price but IF you are only getting blasted and a single stage in stock color that seems high.. A tank in good shape with factory paint and little to no rust can be blasted in less than an hour. Blown off, wiped down, coated and in the oven in less than 2 hours. Most of the better shops go allot farther than that. The tank would be cleaned ( was it still wet with gas, dirty with mud and caked up grime still covered in stickers ? ) then blasted and cleaned again. Most of the better shops will do some type of IP treatment on steel and most times that will require some oven time. Then inspection and coating. If you are wanting a multi-stage finish or clear coating add an average of 50% to the cost of a single stage. I have charged double a couple of times from what I quoted when the parts showed up nasty, just for the hassle of dealing with years of neglect and no cleaning. Stuff has to be completely clean before it can go into the blaster or you'll contaminate your media and ruin stuff until you dump it all and wipe down the cabinet (ask me how I learned that one). If all you're getting is blasted and coated in single stage for $250 of a nice condition clean tank, I'd check a few other places.

PAPA250r
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info i called a few other places and they wanted 250 with no blasting . I think i am a victom of new york city mark ups !

The tank is basically mint other then being faded and peeling stickers