PDA

View Full Version : John deer? sasquatch? hmm...

rbaral233
10-12-2010, 10:37 AM
So i saw something interesting and thanks to search tool i found it here too but i would like to share a story.

i was at a fire dept parade in nearby ellington CT the other day, when i see one of the ellington FFs drive by on a 3 wheeler with 2 extra wheels and a dump body. i was amazed and having seen the type before i could tell it was Sasquatch. Then searching here:

http://www.ellingtonfire.org/apparatus.html

on ellingtons site they call it a john deer gator. again i turned to the forums, a little confused wondering why it was identical but a gator and not a Sasquatch. i guess john deer bought out the company that made it and started making john deers. either way this fire dept to this day runs this sasquatch as an in service piece and i was blown away. it runs like the day it was bought it looks amazing and brand new. i will try to get more and better pics of it to show the group because to see it is pretty cool, and even inspired me to take a whole new turn with MY rebuild, and i am not making a special one of kind fire department 250es

fabiodriven
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
The local junkyard here had one of those for years. I always referred to it as a five wheeler.

spoon
10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Here's a 5 wheeler that used to be a 350x, still has the x motor. A guy near Nashville made this. Wanted to sell it to me for 4,000.00. I had to pass but it would be cool.

harryredtrike
10-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Here's a 5 wheeler that used to be a 350x, still has the x motor. A guy near Nashville made this. Wanted to sell it to me for 4,000.00. I had to pass but it would be cool.

all i see are girls,wheres the trike at?

motorhead
10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
So i saw something interesting and thanks to search tool i found it here too but i would like to share a story.

i was at a fire dept parade in nearby ellington CT the other day, when i see one of the ellington FFs drive by on a 3 wheeler with 2 extra wheels and a dump body. i was amazed and having seen the type before i could tell it was Sasquatch. Then searching here:

http://www.ellingtonfire.org/apparatus.html

on ellingtons site they call it a john deer gator. again i turned to the forums, a little confused wondering why it was identical but a gator and not a Sasquatch. i guess john deer bought out the company that made it and started making john deers. either way this fire dept to this day runs this sasquatch as an in service piece and i was blown away. it runs like the day it was bought it looks amazing and brand new. i will try to get more and better pics of it to show the group because to see it is pretty cool, and even inspired me to take a whole new turn with MY rebuild, and i am not making a special one of kind fire department 250es

Very Good Pic, in your attached link, at the Fire Company.

The Fire Company may be calling it a JD Gator; but that is not really correct. It is a Commuter Industries, Sasquatch. And possibly the rarest one at that, the 5 wheel version. Just type in Sasquatch in the search, on this 3ww site; and you will see some of our posts. One or two members here, have the 5 wheel versions.

When that machine at the Fire Company was built it was still Commuter Industries. Shortly after that, John Deere bought the patents and made a few changes and sold them as the 600 Gator. John Deere, from what I have found out, but not totally sure, made only the 5 wheel version, no 3 wheeler.

It would be a good fit for the Fire Company, but remember that machine is old now, probably built in or about 1985. The newer UTV's or other utility vehicles may be a little better; but certainly not tougher. My Sasquatch 3 wheeler is a bear, off road; if you can't go over something just pull it out of the way with the Sasquatch, but I never was stopped going over anything.

The Sasquatch and the Gator use the same variable speed clutch (Comet type), drive system; the same as snowmobiles. It will really "hook up", and put all the power to the ground, without spinning like a regular ATC/ATV.

It was good to see a Sasquatch still being on a daily basis.

MonroeMike
10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.govdeals.com/photos/1755/1755_3_1.jpg