PDA

View Full Version : 83 250R questions

jbmatt
10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I finally got my 83 R assembled and ready to ride. It runs ok but I have a few questions for the 2stroke guys. I have the mixture screw on the carb at 2 turns out, the manual says 1 1/2, and I am still getting excess unburned fuel leaking at the exhaust manifold. It will not hold idle. And where do I find a silencer for it. the one that's on there is WAY LOUD. I mean obnoxious loud. It is not much bigger than the pipe and the ends are welded on, so there is no way to repack it. Thanks for any help. So far it is fun but scary fast given my limited experience on my 200s.

beets442
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Does your RPMs drop fast/slow when you let off the throttle? Does it dog anywhere on the way up the throttle? Stock air filter?

savage3006
10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Sounds like your carb is way to rich, try turning it in to 1 1/2 and see what it does.
Did you change the jets in the carb ?? Also what part of the manifold is it leaking at??

jbmatt
10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Revs come down pretty quick. It seems to run out pretty smooth but I have yet to build the nerve to stab the throttle while riding it.

jbmatt
10-11-2010, 10:54 PM
The carb is stock to the best of my knowledge. It does have a K&N filter on it that could stand a cleaning. What are your recommendations on cleaning these? Will turning it in lean it out? That seems backwards.

savage3006
10-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Everything I have ever touched turning the screw's in was to make it leaner and out richer because it gives more of a gap for the fuel.
The only way to clean a k&n that I know of it with k&n cleaner and then you have to use their oil too, it takes a good day or more ( depending on weather ) cause it has to dry before you can oil it.
Just a heads up a real dirty air filter can make it to where it wont idle right.

jbmatt
10-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the help

savage3006
10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Your welcome.
Here is a link to you manual at honda, it doesnt really go into a lot of detail about some stuff but it has stuff for tune ups and such.

http://campaigns.hondampe.com.au/Motorcycles/manuals/atv/own83atc25001.pdf

HoldOnTrike84
10-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I would also go 1 1/2 turns out and does turning the idle screw in or out seem to do anything for the idle issue?

DG has a new silencer http://www.dgperf.com/pages/DGproducts_ATV-Sport.asp?appID=13

Anything done to the motor and do you have an air box around that K&N or is it open? If you follow the K&N kit instructions you should have a good as new filter in a day or two tops.

On your stock carb the main jet should be 130 and the slow a 50. The needle clip should be third from the top. Check your float. If all is clean and checks out and it still won't idle try going to a 48 slow jet and so on till it does.

Jimmyt420
10-12-2010, 01:03 AM
speaking of oil on the exhaust everytime i pull my air box off my trike theres always excess oil/gas on the connector from the box to the carb does anyone know why it does that? its kind of an inconveinence i hate knowing it does that thanks!!!

savage3006
10-12-2010, 01:15 AM
2 strokes pant because of not having valves so most of them get some blow back in the carb and thats probably where its coming from.
it should just be a film or a lil damp, not driping.

Jimmyt420
10-12-2010, 01:34 AM
ahhh ok i see yeah its not dripping its just damn or like a light layer of oil thanks alot i appreciate it now i know somethings not wrong with it im fairly new to these i have grown up ridding atcs my whole life but got good on dirt bikes then picked up a 250r for cheap now im into these haha