PDA

View Full Version : Big red help in southern Ontario

fastercat
10-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I just bought a used 1984 big red 200 with reverse and electric start. It ran great for an hour or so then stalled a couple of times, then finally quit. It would only start from the recoil but the starter would crank it over no problem. After checking things out I've found that I have no spark. I installed a new stator coil, as the old one looked burned, still no spark. I checked the ignition key switch and the kill switch which test out fine. I checked the fuse- okay power to the neutral reverse lights, tried a used ignition coil, new plug and wire and cap. Still no spark. Is there anything that could burn out when the stator coil goes as it looked pretty cooked? I'm in southern Ontario and it seems hard to find a cdi around here. Could it be anything else. Thanks for any help

MonroeMike
10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the site.

Check page 19-1 of the manual "weak or no spark". Also, Section 15 for testing of electrical parts.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/Honda%20200ES%20Big%20Red%201984%20CD.pdf

tri again
10-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I just bought a used 1984 big red 200 with reverse and electric start. It ran great for an hour or so then stalled a couple of times, then finally quit. It would only start from the recoil but the starter would crank it over no problem. After checking things out I've found that I have no spark. I installed a new stator coil, as the old one looked burned, still no spark. I checked the ignition key switch and the kill switch which test out fine. I checked the fuse- okay power to the neutral reverse lights, tried a used ignition coil, new plug and wire and cap. Still no spark. Is there anything that could burn out when the stator coil goes as it looked pretty cooked? I'm in southern Ontario and it seems hard to find a cdi around here. Could it be anything else. Thanks for any help

VERY frustrating. I've even gotten laughed at with this problem.
You will find tons on this exact topic if you use the search key. (200es no spark or intermittent spark)

I've had at least 5 with that exact problem.
It will start with the recoil but NO spark with elec start.
They are almost 2 independent circuits wit SOME crossover.
Recoil start only has a kill mode, NO run mode.
Elec start has kill and ON! circuits

There are people who have even changed the entire wire harness only to admit that the fix was prob due to the fact that they touched/checked every connection esp the grounds.

Normally, we check the neutral safety switch which it needs to allow it to start....ummm allow the starter to spin, more accurately.
There is a reverse limiter that can mess up.

You can actually take the battery OUT and it will start with the recoil so your stator output almost has to be ok.

I changed every parts with known working ones too and it didn't fix it.

Eventually traded them all off to someone younger with a shop and tons of free time.

They all work now so there's hope. Not much $$, just time.

Wish I could tell you exactly where to look. Unplug the phone, start at one end of the wire harness and follow all connections until you find a bad wire or connection.

Do the search first and you may save yourself some time.

tapper190
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the boards! It's great to see another Ontario rider! How close are you to London?
tapper