PDA

View Full Version : New Guy ATC 110 Questions

bnz 41
10-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm a new member and after reading some of your great info here decided to take the plunge. I bought an ATC 110 out of a farmer's barn yesterday. It's in pretty decent shape and will run though not really well yet (I'm guessing the carb is all gummed up with years of old gas).

I remember as a kid my buddy had an atc 90 that we rode all over the place. I was so impressed with the places we could go on that little trike and the freedom it gave us to ride all around the field roads and pastures on the farm. I found your site a couple of weeks ago and it all started to come back to me. I just had to have a three-wheeler and after checking out craigslist and the local papers I happened across this one.

I do have a couple of questions and know that you all are a pretty knowledgeable and helpful bunch so I figured that I would post them here.
1. It will start right up and run for a while if I keep the throttle open, but after 1-2 minutes it starts to die and I have to pump the throttle like crazy to have any hope of keeping it running. I'm guessing that I should pull the carb and clean everything out really good with carb cleaner and air. Should I get a carb kit for it as well? If I take the carburetor apart will I need new gaskets to put it back together again?

2. The headlight lens is broken. Is there anywhere to just buy the lens or do I need a whole new light assembly?

3. Mine is an '82 model with the blue and white stripe on the tank and the decal is pretty shabby. Is there anywhere to find these decals? I've found '80 model decals on e-bay but I haven't had a lot of luck with the 1982 versions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bnz 41

Xpress
10-06-2010, 10:30 PM
1. Clean that carb out. worst case scenario you buy a $20 chinese carb off of ebay, and it runs like new. I did that recently, and my 110 idles like a dream.

2. Look on ebay for one, or post a wanted ad here.

3. I don't think you're going to find much in OEM form, as OEM stuff is pretty hard to find, and if you do find it, you shouldn't use it unless the trike has been fully restored.

Rjfabwerx
10-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi there...as far as your carbutetor...pull it apart but remember how it came apart (they're very simple)...get the carb cleaner with the plastic straw with it and shoot it through every passageway and make sure you see it come out somewhere else...I always pull the float pin out and clean it good so that the float can move freely on it...pull your needle(s) and make sure you can squirt your carb cleaner through them tiny little holes...you should not need any kind of new gasket to do any of this, I've never had that problem anyway...There are tech manuals in here that should tell you what the stock settings are for your idle and mixture screws...headlight lense: I'd try to see if you have a local cycle salvage place...On our 90, I lucked out and found some plastic lense off of a completely different kind of light for a house or something and it snapped right on...you could call a place local to you that fixes older bikes, maybe they have something laying around...Decals, you're on your own with that one...Maybe get a hold of one of those stores on ebay that are selling parts for your trike and just ask them if they would happen to have anything like that...maybe another good way to find your headlight lense...Good luck, hope this helps...

Ryan

Mr_RPM
10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
yes, clean your carb. that should help. get a new spark plug, clean the air filter and change the oil.
carb kits are on ebay for 15 bucks. you should be able to tear it down without needing gaskets but as things get old they wear out so u never know. again carb kit...

finding just the lens might be hard, but getting a used light on ebay might be cheap enough anyway.

heres a good place to look for parts too http://www.dratv.com/

bnz 41
10-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info so far guys. I'm really looking forward to this project.

Texas 200x
10-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Check you gas tank also if its full of rust and crud rinse it out. Also check your petcock if its restricted. Those go along with cleaning the carb.

DirtDevil
10-07-2010, 07:47 AM
For ther decals, some sign shops will let you bring in a hi rez, full scale pic of the decal and reproduce it pretty cheap if you tell them you will install them. They're usually pretty happy to make some pocket change off of scrap vinyl.

84atc200
10-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Wow there have been alot of 110's on here lately, are they reproducing? lol I'd probably get the carb rebuild kit, my 185 ran about like you say your 110 does. I got a rebuild kit for the carb, and it runs good now.And the carb kit should come with a new bowl seal.

3wheelrider
10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
You can buy decent repro decals on ebay. Type in "atc decals"- I know ive seen the tank ones at least.

bnz 41
10-10-2010, 10:06 PM
UPDATE:

I took the carb apart yesterday and WOW was it cruddy. The filter screen for the petcock was totally plugged. After reading through the manual, I dove in and cleaned it up jets, bowl, the works. I was feeling pretty good about myself and got it all back together. Then I tried starting it. I pulled and pulled on the rope and nothing..... oh crap I forgot to turn the kill switch on :- ). First pull started up, and idled like a dream. I was pretty happy.

bnz 41

Mr_RPM
10-11-2010, 12:56 PM
UPDATE:

I took the carb apart yesterday and WOW was it cruddy. The filter screen for the petcock was totally plugged. After reading through the manual, I dove in and cleaned it up jets, bowl, the works. I was feeling pretty good about myself and got it all back together. Then I tried starting it. I pulled and pulled on the rope and nothing..... oh crap I forgot to turn the kill switch on :- ). First pull started up, and idled like a dream. I was pretty happy.

bnz 41

a little bit of reading and some hard work can go along way and feel very satisfying. thats why alot of us do what we do with our trikes.
With proper care and attention your 110 will be a loyal companion to help you day in and day out

thestud25
10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the boards! Get a friend to help fight off your family when they stage a "trike Intervention"!!!!