PDA

View Full Version : Right Metal for a FAb Gas Tank

Just-Tri-It
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
What are the best metals to use to fab a gas tank? Is there a minimum thickness. Are there any metals to not use?
Thanks

Dirtcrasher
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Aluminum, but you need a TIG for that.....

I imagine the tanks are about 22-24 gauge metal, below that they get harder to form but stronger as they are thicker.

I have no ide4a what they do to keeping the rust out other than keeping it full.

Rjfabwerx
10-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I would highly recommend aluminum or stainless also to prevent the chance from ever having rust in there...And make sure if you go stainless to weld it with stainless or eventually your welds will just rust and crack out...I'm not sure what the cost difference is between the two, I just know they are both expensive...I do this stuff for a living but don't handle the money end of the deal...I guess it really boils down to what tools you have access too and how much you want to spend...The only bad thing about aluminum on something like this is that to get it thin enough to create the shape you want, you will have to go very thin...Aluminum is VERY soft so if you ever upset your trike, you might as well plan on building another cell...If you went with something like 16 gauge stainless or maybe a little thinner, it would take some abuse and still not weigh a ton...If you just want to use regular steel, I'd go with something like Dirtcrasher mentioned...Just some food for thought...Good luck with your project...
Ryan

jmax857
10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
im going to build mine out of plain old steel, im going to guess if theres any gas in the tank it will never rust because of the pre-mix, steel is very inexpensive and you dont have to get it tig welded. i personally would think an aluminum tank would be better but its whatever you have access too my friend.

Vealmonkey
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
You can use a plastic tri zinger tank. Not much fabbing at all.