PDA

View Full Version : Maier 200x Rear Fenders

dksix
10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a recently bought set of Maier rear fenders on a first gen 200x? Mine came with Maier rear fenders and I don't know if they are the same now as the ones that was on mine. Here's a pic
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/dksix/1984%20ATC%20200x/going%20back%20together/Picture00035.jpg
Notice how these come to a point behind the gas tank instead of fitting like they should. I'm about ready to order a set but if this is how they are currently being made I think I'll save a little longer and try to find some nice OEM's. Back when I was riding bikes, the Maier plastic wasn't that great but from what I've seen their stuff looks allot better now. I have no idea of how old the ones I have are.

shortline10
10-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a recently bought set of Maier rear fenders on a first gen 200x? Mine came with Maier rear fenders and I don't know if they are the same now as the ones that was on mine. Here's a pic
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/dksix/1984%20ATC%20200x/going%20back%20together/Picture00035.jpg
Notice how these come to a point behind the gas tank instead of fitting like they should. I'm about ready to order a set but if this is how they are currently being made I think I'll save a little longer and try to find some nice OEM's. Back when I was riding bikes, the Maier plastic wasn't that great but from what I've seen their stuff looks allot better now. I have no idea of how old the ones I have are.

Looks like someone cut them to me . Here is a set on my 200x .

fabiodriven
10-06-2010, 07:42 PM
:shiftyeyes:Trailpros:shiftyeyes:

Jerm1179
10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
bought these last december...yours indeed do look cut

dksix
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks like someone cut them to me . Here is a set on my 200x .

bought these last december...yours indeed do look cut

I thought the same thing but it looks so clean. Another thing is that these don't have the place for the kick starter to lay into. Here's the best pics I could get of the area that is believed to have been cut, it's smooth as silk up through there just like it was formed that way.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/dksix/225DX/Picture00041.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/dksix/225DX/Picture00040.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/dksix/225DX/Picture00039.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/dksix/225DX/Picture00042.jpg
I would in forming and it's hard to impossible to get a clean shinny finish once plastic has been cut. The other thing is that with at cost of a mold this size that an upgrade would have been mad. I'm not sure if fenders are formed or injection molded but either way, I would guess that a mold that size would range in the 6 to 8K range for forming and no less than twice that for injection molding. A complete tool for on out our inline 30" machine run in the range of 8 to 14K and with these draw depths I would expect it to be more. And let me add, Shortline and Jerm: those are both very nice looking machines. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Xpress
10-06-2010, 09:50 PM
If someone took the time to cut those correctly, then they could make it look perfect.

ironchop
10-07-2010, 05:06 AM
dksix....I have a repop set of fenders just like those that were on my `83 but didn`t notice it at first because it had a Clarke tank on it so it was hard to tell...no manufacturer marking but not Honda original either

on the other hand I have bought two new sets of Maier`s in last couple years in red and in white both...and they look just like Shortline`s and jerm`s...overlapping tank edges

maybe the fenders we have are not Maier brand

dksix
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
dksix....I have a repop set of fenders just like those that were on my `83 but didn`t notice it at first because it had a Clarke tank on it so it was hard to tell...no manufacturer marking but not Honda original either

on the other hand I have bought two new sets of Maier`s in last couple years in red and in white both...and they look just like Shortline`s and jerm`s...overlapping tank edges

maybe the fenders we have are not Maier brand

They were busted up pretty bad on the back and I just cut off the worse and zip tied the rest back together but I'm pretty sure they had a maier stick on them. IDK but either way, I know now that if I buy a current set of Maier that they will fit better than what I have. Thanks for the help everyone who posted, I have the info I needed, six

Dirtcrasher
10-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe 250R 81-84, 300EX, 400EX?? I'm not sure what comes to a point like that..........

I'd look around EBAY for pics!

Erics350x
10-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Like DC said, ^^ they look like old school R fenders to me.

dksix
10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Maybe 250R 81-84, 300EX, 400EX?? I'm not sure what comes to a point like that..........
I'd look around EBAY for pics!

Like DC said, ^^ they look like old school R fenders to me.

Thanks, guys but either way I now know that the ones I'll be ordering will fit with the tank/seat more correctly. I won't be using these on my X, so it's a non-issue. I'll just hang them up the shop and maybe someday they will come in handle for someone else. Now the big choice is what color scheme I will be using. I had planed on going all black but since I bought a like new red 250R front fender from one of the members here and my OEM tank shrouds are really nice I hate to be replacing those parts since I've started a couple other projects that the funds could be better spend on. I just need new rears and some type of headlight or number plate for it. I was browsing the world class help section today and seen one of the members had mounted some small "driving" type light behind a vented number plate and that gave me some ideas. I might look for a number plate that I can mod and incorporate a set of small HID lights into. I'll need to do some more research because I think there will have to be a rectifier or capacitor used along with some sort of 12 volt battery to get the correct power to the HID ballast. I went thought vocational classes in high school studying electronics and later when through industrial electricity but never worked full time in either. I have a good back ground but I'm a little rusty in each of the fields. I think I still have a set of H7 HIDS left over from the days I had a shop that dealt mostly with import tuner type cars. I'll play around a little with those to see what kind of power I can get out of the X's stator if I can't find a good used 250R headlight assemble. Thanks again for all the info, six