PDA

View Full Version : Why do people put twist throttles on three wheelers/ATVs? Yuck!

bobotech
10-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I hate them!! On a motorcycle they are awesome but on a trike, they really don't help at all.

I have converted about 3 of my trikes back to thumb throttles from twist throttles. The twist throttles don't seem to work as smoothly as the thumb throttles also.

Twist throttles just seem harder to control when doing stuff like trail rides where you are constantly turning the trike.

Just venting.

fabiodriven
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
It's a simple matter of opinion. I have some with thumb, some with twist. I like them both. No need to hate.

Xhumeka
10-04-2010, 10:33 AM
on tight right hand turns it is very hard to make them fast with a thumb throttle. To help with this problem reach over and under the handlebars and accelerate with your middle finger on the throttle while pulling up really hard on the handlebars to maintain proper body position and proper " elbows up and out) yes you have to forgo the front brake ( that is why some really fast guys use an MX style twist grip throttle)

Whyzee sums it up nicely if you ask me... for casual trail riding etc thumb throttles work fine - but if you ask me, you _need_ a twist throttle to ride fast!

mrcribbs
10-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I like both also. It seems my higher power machines have twists... Banshee, 450R, etc. Just a matter of preference.

bigred44
10-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm with fabio, i dont mind either way. I've got a twist on my 200x and it did take some getting used to but it makes the ride more interesting and sometimes more difficult which makes for a more fun ride:p. A friend of mine has a 1/4 turn twist on his 250r and that is just wicked and too hard to control, especially over rough terrain and jumps.

bobotech
10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe that is the thing, I don't have any high power machines that are running at this point. I have utility trikes and a utility quad, nothing super fast other than my pair of YT trikes which really aren't race trikes by any means.

D-dub
10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Its good to ride a twister, It makes for a well rounded rider. Anyone can go back to a thumb throttle after theyve mastered the twist in all riding situations

Iprefer3
10-04-2010, 11:19 AM
It seems that the twist are a little more technical. Sometimes it's difficult to maintain throttle control when power sliding.

84atc200
10-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I've tried twist throttles on trikes and quads, i'm not a fan but everybodys different.

harryredtrike
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
my 250r i have a twist,my 185 a twist ,and my 200 x a thumb throttle

Erics350x
10-04-2010, 12:41 PM
In long runs like a cross country type race a thumb throttle wears my thumb and wrist out.

puggerton03
10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
It doesnt really matter to me. My TRI-Z has a thumb and my Tecate and CR250 have twists. As long as I'm out riding having fun I like them both.

UndefinedT
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
If you wanna go fast you need a twist,
you can't go fast turning right with a thumb.

Thumb feels weird also when all you ride is motorcycles and have 1 trike :naughty:

I don't mind riding thumb throttles, but I feel like I have less control because I'm not used to it

Jeepermc
10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Converted my Tecate cause everything else i have is thumb....

350Xccelerator
10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
yea, I personally cannot stand twist throttle on any ATV. Dirt bikes no problem

Xpress
10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Anything with 2 wheels I'm fine using a twister, but 3 wheels or more needs a thumb throttle. I don't feel like I can control the machine as well unless I can use my thumb.

Mr_RPM
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I have never had a machine with a twist, but since im not used to it, i think those "OH S%!&" Moments when i just hold on for dear life i might accidentally give it throttle and take off making it more of a "crashing sucks" moment. thumb throttle gives you more of a sturdy bar to hang onto for the sketchy rides

moonerdizzle
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
i dont like thumb throttles at all, and if you can ride a dirt bike over rough terrain with a twist throttle, you can ride a quad or trike with a twist throttle. i used to ride my buddys old kawasaki 3 wheeler with a twist up im michigan. never had any problems with throttle control during 5th gear power slides on dirt roads. its all a matter of preference. but thumb throttles wear out my finger and i find them annoying.

factoryX
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
twist throttles are awesome on anything...

wisconsinite
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
personally i don't mind a thumb throttle on auto clutch and automatics, but for me if ther's a clutch a thumb throttle feels akward.

beets442
10-04-2010, 04:41 PM
In long runs like a cross country type race a thumb throttle wears my thumb and wrist out.+1 If I'm out for more than a couple hours my hand cramps up...Beets

HuffieVA
10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I switched to a twister in the 80's when I lived in Upstate NY and we rode all winter (kept my thumb from freezing), but now being used to it and along with the fact that I usually rides bikes its second nature and the thumb throttles seem ackward... feels like your not holding onto the bars, so you squeeze harder and end up with armpump alot sooner than you do with a twister. I think the whle thumb thing started because Honda was trying to make a simple machine for the masses (auto clutch, thumb throttle etc, etc) and the rest just followed suit...

dcreel
10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Definitely twist throttle, I like to have both hands wrapped around the bars. I can do everything better with a twist throttle. Less fatigue. An added bonus is that it keeps people off of your trike.

Xpress
10-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I think you guys are twisted :p

D-dub
10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess this is a good enough reason for some. Ha!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkySbJyfibE

whyzee
10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Whyzee sums it up nicely if you ask me... for casual trail riding etc thumb throttles work fine - but if you ask me, you _need_ a twist throttle to ride fast!

haha Thanks Xhumeka :)

Mr_RPM
10-04-2010, 07:05 PM

exactly, those "oh s&!%" moments

Xpress
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Exactly why I refuse to use a twist throttle on anything but 2 wheels.

hang&rattle
10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Funny, my young kids all switched to twist throttles, but they are pretty coordinated. Also the thumb throttle to too far of reach for small hand, and yeah, the cold, that thumb will be numb!

northerntrike
10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I've been considering putting one on my trike...much easier on the hand after a whole day of riding out there down trails while hunting

HuffieVA
10-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Exactly why I refuse to use a twist throttle on anything but 2 wheels.

That guy lost it off the crest of the jump, had little if anything to do with having a twist throttle, granted he may have had a case of panic throttle at the end, it looks like the twisty made it possible for him to gun it and shift his body back over the bars rather than running over himself with his own bike... This is really similer to a Ford -vs- Chevy argument, but if your interested I have a box full of thumb throttles laying around my shop somewhere I'd be happy to trade for twistys.....

parker88
10-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Ive got a twist throttle on my 250sx and I like it. I dont have to worry bout my thumb cramping up on thoughs long trail rides...lol

KASEY
10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
twisters on all of my stuff!!! only a couple of 70's don't have a twister,,, we ALL love them,,

Xpress
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
if your interested I have a box full of thumb throttles laying around my shop somewhere I'd be happy to trade for twistys.....

I'll be sure to send you this 84 T3 twister then :)

Thorpe
10-04-2010, 10:13 PM
On some machines they just fit SO RIGHT!

bobotech
10-04-2010, 10:35 PM
. This is really similer to a Ford -vs- Chevy argument, but if your interested I have a box full of thumb throttles laying around my shop somewhere I'd be happy to trade for twistys.....
I don't have anything worthy to trade but if you are serious about getting rid of a few, I would gladly take them if you just want t get rid of them for shipping or maybe a little more.

leviblue
10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
I love the twist on my flattracker and wouldn't have it any other way. On three out of 5 of my R's I have twist and will have one on the the project R. On my MXer I have thumb and can deal either way with it but I do like it on my trails. What I don't like is that after a half an hour my thumb is tired. Winter is the worst with the thumb throttle. On my TRX 250R it's gotta be twist or nothing

Xpress
10-05-2010, 12:07 AM
^Winter for me is the best with the thumb throttle. After 10 mins of riding, even today in the 65*F weather, my hand was NUMB and hard to twist the throttle, whereas with a thumb throttle, my only concern is my thumb.

TheRealFatShady
10-05-2010, 12:24 AM
My thumb got broken a few years back, I hate thumb throttles as I always get a cramp. But I understand the 'risks' involved in a twist, so I may try it someday to decide, but until then, I just stick it out with the thumb.

factoryX
10-05-2010, 02:32 AM
I've never had a wreck with twist's, and there actually more fun to jump with. If that dude on the quad had a thumb throttle, he would have been thrown from the bike let alone broken his thumb.

super90
10-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Cmon, they arent that hard to ride with.. I learned to ride with one in under a week from never using one before.

oldskool83
10-05-2010, 01:25 PM
my thumb always cramps up...prob reason i liked dirtbikes better since when i was younger i didnt know things could be changed out. im fine with thumbs for trail riding thats all i do, but my next 3 or 4 wheeled machine will get a twist.