PDA

View Full Version : 1983 200x no spark problem

bratstang33
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
:wondering can anyone tell me why i aint getting any spark ? it started out by stalling everytime i made a left turn. i would stop and let it idle while turning the bars to the left and it would be fine . only when i started riding it would die. as it was idling one day i loosened the gas tank and moved it and it died out ! took the plug out and had no spark. i checked the wires the best i could and they seemed ok... so my question is being that all off the electrical is oem could it be the ignition coil or the cdi box or something else? i tried 2 other plugs so its not a fouling problem. any ideas ????

harryredtrike
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
you probably have a loose connection or bad ground.go through the whole system,(electrically).

zacsee250
10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Get some contact cleaner and make sure connections are clean and secure. The service manual has good diagnostic procedures to go through, check it out. Inspect any taped up sections of wiring for a splice or connection that could've worked loose.

Rjfabwerx
10-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Take apart all connections in the path and make sure everything is clean and put them bath together as you go thru them so as not to forget what goes where unless they're color coordinated...Even the slightest bit of corrosion or anything can mess things up...I have had weird things happen and everything "looked" fine...Can even boil down to wires being just a little bit loose or having just a little corrosion where they were originally crimped...electrical sucks sometimes...good luck!

JustEnough
10-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Taking a wire brush to where the primary coil contacts the frame and to the connectors to that coil are a good place to start. Wire brush or contact cleaner to the bullet connectors in the wiring next. If you take the tank off, you could look for wires that are pulling tight when you turn to the left and then look for a connector that is pulling loose or a bare spot on the wire insulation that is causing a bad ground.