PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Electric Starter Problem

Excal
09-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I had a lawn mower battery that was to big for the battery box on my big red but decided to hook it up beside it and see if the starter even worked...The solenoid clicks and the starter motor spins but it doesnt crank it over any.What could be the problem?Theres a black wire with green around the tip that isnt hooked up to anything,what is that suppose to go to?(Its around the solenoid)

EarlyBronocGuy
09-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I had a lawn mower battery that was to big for the battery box on my big red but decided to hook it up beside it and see if the starter even worked...The solenoid clicks and the starter motor spins but it doesnt crank it over any.What could be the problem?Theres a black wire with green around the tip that isnt hooked up to anything,what is that suppose to go to?(Its around the solenoid)

If the starter motor is spinning, you don't have an electrical problem. If it's spinning without turning the engine over, either the gear on the end of the starter shaft is loose or stripped, or one of the reduction gears that mesh with the crankshaft is missing or broken. Pull the starter out and take a look.

It's also possible that you've got the polarity reveresed where you hooked up the lawn mower battery - even if the battery is hooked up backwards, the solenoid will activate and the starter will spin - but it'll spin backwards, and the one-way clutch in the reduction gears will never engage to turn the crankshaft.

ailll1
10-01-2010, 12:05 PM
If the solenoid clicks, the starter shouldnt turn. Thats the way it was on my SX. Solenoid would just click, no starter spinning, turned out to be worn brushes