PDA

View Full Version : T-3 question

whiteman350x
09-18-2003, 08:31 PM
O.K. guys, I am going to pick up the 86 t-3 this weekend. Never had a Kawi before. Anything I need to be aware of as I get it up and running? It has 175 lbs of compresion. He says it will crank but not rev out. He thinks the powervalve is stuck. Is this valid? I know to clean the carb and all that. Will be getting a manual as soon as I save up a few $$. 'Cause the trip is going to clean me out. Thanks for any help.

articmp
09-18-2003, 11:51 PM
The manual calls for compression between 156 and 185 psi. That should not be a problem. My Tecate is running 210 psi and it runs great. The rev out problem could be a carb problem or a air leak. You can check for air leaks by runing the machine at an idle and spray carb cleaner around the seams of the reed cage, head, cylinder base, carb and center of the case. If the motor revs up when spayed, there is a good chance of a air leak. If no air leak the carb could be the number one problem. A good cleaning and jetting may do the trick. If it has the orignal carb, you can send me a PM and I will send you the specs from the manual. Good luck.

ange
09-19-2003, 12:28 AM
whiteman,
Sorry I'm not familiar w/ the 86's....

just wondering if you are able to post picks of your Cagiva, and give us any history you know about it..

whiteman350x
09-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Will take some pics of the Cagiva next time I go back to see my folks. It is about 200 miles from me at the moment. Don't really know the history of the bike. I bought it from a guy in Greenville, Al. I found it in the ATV Connection Mag. Forums. Dosen't run at this time. I still need to find a flywheel cover, exhaust, and some elecrtical parts.

Jeb
09-19-2003, 09:30 AM
...You can check for air leaks by runing the machine at an idle and spray carb cleaner around the seams of the reed cage, head, cylinder base, carb and center of the case. If the motor revs up when spayed, there is a good chance of a air leak.

Great Tip!

MIK6
09-19-2003, 05:49 PM
T3 powervalves can and do get stuck. They are a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro the first time you work on them, but if you take your time its is easy to pull the jug, remove and clean the powervalves. Make sure you time them corectly when you reinstall them.
A NOTE FOR YOU.... watch the "little nut" under the 2 bolt cover near the waterpump.... IT IS REVERSE THREAD (on is off, off is on).
If you have any questions I can give you a easy way to check the powervalves before removing the jug.

MIK6 / Mike

BP
09-21-2003, 08:45 AM
hey Mike

How do I check the power valve on my 86 T3?

Bp1

200x Basket
09-21-2003, 09:30 AM
here is the way i check mine.

1. remove the rectangle cover on the right side of the cylinder.
2. remove the pipe.
3. there is a small 8mm bolt just below the removed cover. remove it
4. there is a small pin behind that bolt. remove it by rocking the trike on the side.
5. use a small screw driver to pry up on the lever under the cover.
6. once it is pried up you can move the KIPS actuator back and forth to see if they are stuck.
7. to check the timing you have to take the cylinder off and take it apart. it really is easy and only takes a few minutes.

MIK6
09-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Nice info 200x Basket. You beat me to the help LOL. This is the same way I check the powervalves, I was the guy that explaned it to xBasket. Jeb and Hagen explaned it to me.
Just make sure you remember that the nut under the cover is a lefthanded thread nut(off is on/on is off)!! You will be able to reach into the exhaust port and feel the valves opening/closing, or get a light and look for then on the sides of the exhaust port(about 3 and 9, on a clock). If they are not moving when you push the rod in then they are stuck. If they are not moving let us know and we can give you more info to help out.

MIK6 / Mike

whiteman350x
09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Will try to check tomorrow. Still too beat from 1550 mile road trip to work on it now. Just got it home. Played with it over in Atlanta today. Will crank and idle. Will not rev under load. Have to have a push to start moving then it will go. Will not rev out tho. Where would you guys start? Thanks for the great info so far. Will keep you posted.

200x Basket
09-22-2003, 09:39 PM
sounds like it may be a bad stator. fix the carb, make sure the exhaust is clear and then it is only the stator left. i have a near new ricky stator set up that i will sell you, if that is the problem. it has less then 5 minutes on it.

whiteman350x
10-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Well, I found at leasst part of the problem. The arm that goes between the 2 rods that acuate the powervalves was broken. The stud on top was completly gone. Working on getting one now. Tell you guys how it goes when I get it.

MIK6
10-06-2003, 05:33 PM
That is the left hand nut I was talking about!!! When you order 1 get the nut too, unless you have a spare lefthand thread nut laying around LOL. I have been able to tack weld the arm to the shaft and get by, you will need to pryup on the arm to remove the side cover, but it will work. I think X-basket went w/ the "temp weld method" when his was broke untill the replacement parts came in. When you put it back together it should be torqued to 87 in-lbs or about 7 ft-lbs, make sure your torque wrench goes backwards.

MIK6 / Mike

whiteman350x
10-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Not the one under the nut. It is the one under the cylinder. It goes on the other end of the rod that the one with the left hand nut moves. It appears to link that rod with the one inside the cyl.

MIK6
10-06-2003, 07:33 PM
I have never heard of that problem. I wonder if they assemembled it wrong. I know of only 1 threaded nut, the rest all works on rods and pins. Is the valve operating rod damaged? or is it in the pins/rods? I have spare parts here for the cylinder stuff, but not alot for the actuator side.

LET ME KNOW
MIK6 / Mike

whiteman350x
10-06-2003, 10:02 PM
This has not got a nut. It is an arm with 2 studs one up- one down. buykawasaki.com just calls it arm. (Great description huh). It slides down over a pin, which is in a hole under the cyl. one stud goes in a notch on the rod that runs to the arm with the left handed nut. the other stud goes in a notch on the rod that is inside the cyl. and moves the 'valves.Prolly seems clear as mud. I we still can't get our heads together, i'll get the number off buykawasaki.com and you can look it up.

MIK6
10-06-2003, 10:17 PM
I know the piece you need. I do not have a spare. I found a bent 1 in a parts motor and I lost another in the dirt floor. If I am rite the pin slides into the part you need. I have never tried to order that part. I have had my jug off and the valves apart so often that I can do it in my sleep, but typing a discription is hard as h_ll LOL. If I was better w/ my scanner I'd post a picture for you from the manual.
let me know how you make out.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

whiteman350x
10-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Sounds like we are on the same page. Got a local bike shop trying to get one. Wish we had a Kawi dealer around here.

Jeb
10-07-2003, 08:58 AM
That same "arm" is probably used in several years of KX250. It should be pretty easy to find one.

I wonder how come it to break?

whiteman350x
10-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Local bike shop has ordered one for me. Hope it is the right one.