PDA

View Full Version : power reeds

TommyBoy1971
09-24-2010, 03:15 AM
I have always heard of these boysen power reeds. But I have never really been sure how they work. I have a stock 85 tri-z and I am looking to put on a dg silenser and exhaust, a 38mm pwk carb, k&n filter. I was looking up reeds at the website.
http://www.boyesen.com/cwo.php?store=boyesen&id=4&vehicle_id=437
How and why would I want these? I am looking to get a little more out of the engine than what stock offers, and just doing a little research here these upgrades seem to be the norm. Any other ideas? Also anything you could explain about the "reeds" would help. Does it just change the way the air flows? Also I have seen several comments on changing the rear shock to a warrior shock, is there a reason for this, why not change it to an updated banshee shock? or 450 shock for that matter?
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Mosh
09-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Most stock reeds are a single stage or 1 peice reed. Some were even stainlees steel. That required a more rigid material. So when the reeds would open to the powerband, they would create a bog, then a hit that was lite switch like.
The power reeds are a 2 stage system, that has a lighter smaller reed that opens first for good bottom end performance, but usually control the hit a little smoother by using a second larger reed that opens when high air volume is needed..
If you are looking for intake mods for a Z with a 38 mil carb, I suggest a Sprock billet intake and 38 mil boot, matched with some V force reeds. This will give good performance and make installing that big carb a piece of cake.
You wont have to mess with that 20 year old small hard intake boot. But you will loose your boost bottle system. But you wont feel that anyway.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Big%20bore%20Z/Intakemounted.jpg

As for the shock, the Banshee resevoir wont clear the gas tanks becuase of the piggy back set-up, and the same with most 450 shocks, and those are way to long and wont adapt to the Z linkage.
If you wont great shock performance, look into a Works, Or Pep or the like with the remote ressy for the Banshee.These will clear you gas tank.

TommyBoy1971
09-25-2010, 01:34 AM
thanks for the info, I see your Z has a "Sprock bigbore 310" is there a website to get that done or something? Thanks again!