PDA

View Full Version : A true budget trike

Xfile
09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I have seen a lot of budget trikes on here, but I went all-out seriously cheap on this one. A while back I bought 4 tri-z's in various states of disrepair for $400. Since then, I have sold exactly $577.25 worth of parts which did take some time...but no money. With some of the other parts, I put this tri-z together. I didn't even spring for a can of spray paint....here are some of the cheap-@@s things I did to keep the cost down. 1. the clutch was slipping so I put used clutch plates in it out of a parts bottom end 2. I actually was able to re-use the old clutch cover gasket 3. used spark plug 4. cut my own kicker gear cover gasket...and so on. Here is whats new....brake fluid $4.00, fork oil $8.00, fuel line $10.00, case oil (X2 changes) $6.00, front brake lever $8.00, UNI air filter $19.00.....all of the other service parts on the trike have been checked over and are in decent condition....the final result: a pretty ugly water-pumper for around $60 plus some time to sell parts and put it together.(I don't think tri-z's are ugly in general, I just think this one is) It has pretty good power and is a blast to ride. It feels like a rocket compared to my 200X's.

krazykane
09-23-2010, 10:09 PM
hey its a runner and thats awesome in love to make something out of nothing

harryredtrike
09-24-2010, 01:20 AM
a running tri z out of 400 dollars worth of stuff not bad at all.

ceaserthethird
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Look good to me... and cost turn out to be FREE !

Xfile
09-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I think I'll have to stick a little money in to it....for some decent rear tires at least. I have a nice 11" Mitchell Wheel with a Kenda front max on it for 83-85 200X so I think I'm going to do the 200X front hub conversion on this thing and then buy a good set of 18's or 20's for the rear. I'll never understand why yamaha would put a under-seat fuel tank on a sport machine to lower the center of gravity and then put it up on 22" rears and a 25" front. Looks like they figured it out for the 86 tri-z though....

wisconsinite
09-25-2010, 12:20 AM
cripes, that looks nicer than my tri z did when i bought it, and i paid like 700 bucks

hang&rattle
09-25-2010, 12:39 AM
You did excellent Xfile, those Z's are expensive. A non-running or poor running anywhere close to here is $700+. And well over a grand to have it runnin', so you scored with all your hard work. That can be turned over for an easy 1000 dollar bill, Tri-z's are classy. Good job on the resurrection partner. I think mostly on these sites I am impressed with folks patience for waiting and digging for logical parts for a build, tip my hat.

Xfile
09-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys....but darn it , now you have me talked in to painting the foot pegs and the kick starter! Here are some pictures of the machine I brought home that a lot of the parts came from. As you can see, the yellow frame didn't make it.....It would take to long to explain the amount of damage that was actually on the yellow frame. Put it this way....I can't believe they were actually able to ride it long enough to get it that bad. Another Z saved from the junk yard....It will be safe here with me for years to come..

dksix
09-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Wouldn't you be like $120 ahead on the deal? Bought for $400 and spent $55 while selling $577, that's like $120 you made on the deal. Either way, nice trike. I want a water cooled 2 stroke, don't care which one. I always rode Kawi bikes but would love to have anyone (or all 3) of the big 3's race trikes.

Xfile
09-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Im a bit ahead on the deal. I still have a lot of Z parts to sell, but have not had much time to do so.,,, I have always been a honda guy myself, but it's time to let go of the past. Sure, we all no honda had the suspension, kawi had the engine, and the yamaha was so-so in stock form back in the day (at least thats what the mags told us)...but with all the information, parts, and mods available now, I think you can pretty much get any of the three to do what you want. I'd say it's cool to own any of the big three performance trikes.....or a Tiger, Cagiva, etc...

Xpress
09-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Start stripping that other Z to gain some more cash. Then you could probably get your exhaust chromed, and nice blue footpegs :D :naughty:

Xfile
09-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Blue foot pegs too!!! The next thing you know I'll be out buying matching hand grips for it..(has a PRO-GRIP on the throttle side and a Scott on the other)