PDA

View Full Version : How to make my 1986 honda 200x faster

coltwayne45
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I want to make my 200x faster without spending alot of money. i already have a DG exhaust, and the guy before me shaved down the fenders to help with speed. i know that changing the rear sprocket size will make it faster but i was wondering if i put a smaller 11 tooth sprocket on the front if it make it any faster or would it make it slower? im up for anything you think can help. just please give me some ideas!!

Mr_RPM
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
making the rear sprocket smaller is to making the front sprocket bigger. each tooth on the front will count as 2-3 teeth on the back i think. But this will simply just gear your bike up, giving it more gear not more power.
with that DG pipe also take off the air box lid and jet it up for the extra air flow and that might make it a bit faster. but really if u want any big noticeable increases in speed (power, acceleration) its going to cost money.
start with the simple stuff, higher compression piston, different cam, and you already have the pipe. that will get you started but there are countless things you can do to get more power, but they all come with a price.

Xfile
09-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Shaving the fenders helps with speed? Heck, slap a NO FEAR sticker on it, that should give it a boost too.........just joking with you. I found a good way to make a machine faster is to be able to ride it faster....I'm 200lbs and the stock rear shock was much to soft for me, a good cheap fix is to install a 1983-85 200X shock spring onto your 86 shock. It's an exact fit and is much stiffer for aggressive riding. Also, any stock 200X I have ever rode had issues with serious fork dive. A set of progressive suspension fork springs and a bit thicker fork oil will solve the problem and your machine will handle much better. Both of these suspension mods will cost you around $85. It may not make the engine any more powerful or give you a faster top end, but for me, I can ride my X faster in many conditions. Instead of slowing down and rolling over doubles on the track, I can easily clear them....makes for a much faster lap time (if this is the kind of riding you do)

Dirtcrasher
09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Tape a wing to your helmet and add a wind scoop to the rearend, that'll do it :D

Plenty of motor mods can be done if you get your wallet out. You wanna go fast straight line? or on the trails or track? It's all different situations.

fabiodriven
09-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Sell it and buy a 350X. Problem solved.

Xfile
09-23-2010, 09:59 PM

This also seems to work remarkably for many ATC riders

coltwayne45
09-25-2010, 09:50 AM
well 350x guys i cant afford a 350x lol. im just fine with my 200x. its already as fast as a 350x with the mods done to it. and xfile: yes shaving the fenders gives you 2mph. thanks evryone for the replies

Jerm1179
09-25-2010, 10:42 AM
how exactly does shaving the fenders give you 2 mph?...just curious....i bet if you completely remove the seat and fenders you could run with a 250r...

whyzee
09-25-2010, 10:55 AM

lol..took the words right out of my mouth !

Dirtcrasher
09-25-2010, 11:17 AM
how exactly does shaving the fenders give you 2 mph?...just curious....i bet if you completely remove the seat and fenders you could run with a 250r...

2MPH?? I'll take the whole seat and fenders off, maybe the headlight too, that ought to get me 5MPH :D

Xpress
09-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Just take all of the plastics off, and swap the tank for a lawnmower tank- you should be able to blow past a Tecate ;)

In all seriousness, if you want to make it faster, the least expensive way would probably be to drop in a smaller sprocket in the rear. I believe the stock is 40 tooth, so go with like a 36t. You will loose a bit of acceleration power, but gain a higher top speed.

The more expensive mods would be to drop to a lower profile tire (like an 18" MAXXIS RAZOR) in the rear, higher flow air filter, then you can get into the expensive stuff like stroking out the engine, with a new cam, cranks, 218cc piston or so, but that all leads to a very high compression engine, which does not mean you can just kick it a couple times and go. Those high comp. pistons don't like to be kicked over fast, and will make sure you know. I know for fact. My stroker engine on my XR200R has a stripped kicker gear, so the kicker doesn't work, but it bumps right up.

My stroked out XR200R will blow right past any stock XR200R, and will keep right up with a 250, but it had well over $1500 in work done on the engine.

UndefinedT
09-25-2010, 01:34 PM
stroke it or go home

oldtime3wheeler
09-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Just what I was thinking

Mr_RPM
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
cuttingn the fenders leads to the idea of making it aerodynamic. On a quad the front fenders can be like to giant para-shoots, but thats the theory of it. But to actually feel a difference i think would be a rare thing for a 200x. maybe a 100MPH banshee but thats it. its like a spoiler on a car, on slow stuff they do nothing

haggard 2hundie
09-25-2010, 04:13 PM
can someone explain how a 200X can be as fst as a 350X ? i love my 200X but come on...

wisconsinite
09-25-2010, 04:28 PM
^ lotsa chrome and racing stickers maybe

Xfile
09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
the "ass, grass, or gas; nobody rides for free" sticker seems to add bottom end to mid range hit and the "faster than a speeding ticket" sticker boosts top end every time.........

Xpress
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
can someone explain how a 200X can be as fst as a 350X ? i love my 200X but come on...

Run straight up alcohol :lol:

coltwayne45
09-26-2010, 09:44 AM
shaving the fenders reduces air resistance which = more speed. but mines an 86 200x so it will be naturally faster than any 200x made before 86. my friend just bought an 85 200x and we put mine and his side by side and everything is completely different. even the motor, frame everything. mods i have is after market aluminum wheels, razor 18" tires, DG exhaust, and a UNI air filter. and HAGGARD it aint hard to make a 200x as fast as a 350x. they go about 60-65 stock. and with all my modes mine should run 70 or over

Jerm1179
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
18" tires will make it have a lower top speed....it will get to its top speed faster...but the top speed will not be the same as if you were running a 22"stock tire.... and if you want real speed differences you need to do alot more than an (obnoxiously loud) exhaust and a more free flowing air filter...those upgrades might give it a little bit more pep..but there is noway it will run with a 350x...to get anywhere near a 350x you need to do alot or engine upgrades (ported, polished, stroked, bored...) which arent that easy to come by for a 86-87 x....

fabiodriven
09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
shaving the fenders reduces air resistance which = more speed. but mines an 86 200x so it will be naturally faster than any 200x made before 86. my friend just bought an 85 200x and we put mine and his side by side and everything is completely different. even the motor, frame everything. mods i have is after market aluminum wheels, razor 18" tires, DG exhaust, and a UNI air filter. and HAGGARD it aint hard to make a 200x as fast as a 350x. they go about 70 stock. and with all my modes mine will run 70 or over

You may be impressed with the mods you're listing, but most of the rest of us aren't. None of those things are going to increase your top speed. In fact, the 18" tires are actually going to bring your top speed down. The fender shaving is doing absolutely nothing to help make you faster. Go find somebody with a 350X and take it for a ride or line it up against your 200X. You'll find out you're not going as fast as you may think.

Xfile
09-26-2010, 11:44 AM
shaving the fenders reduces air resistance which = more speed. but mines an 86 200x so it will be naturally faster than any 200x made before 86. my friend just bought an 85 200x and we put mine and his side by side and everything is completely different. even the motor, frame everything. mods i have is after market aluminum wheels, razor 18" tires, DG exhaust, and a UNI air filter. and HAGGARD it aint hard to make a 200x as fast as a 350x. they go about 70 stock. and with all my modes mine will run 70 or over

Man, with all due respect, people are trying to help you out here...but you have got to get somewhat realistic when your dealing with a huge number of people that own and ride the same machine as you. First off, as a owner of a strong running 86 ATC 200X, I can tell you without a single question in my mind, there is no way in hell it is faster than a 350X, and there is even less of a chance it will do 70mph with a pipe, filter, and 18's on the back....I have the identical set up on mine, a dg pipe, uni filter, kenda 18's, with stock gearing, and 57-60mph(on a good day with a tail wind) is all your gonna get and I don't recommend holding it there long. Second, the fender cutting is not going to get you 2mph on a 60mph max 200CC machine... maybe 0.001 mph if you could even measure that amount, I get the wind resistance thing, but as mentioned before...with this machine you will not even be able to measure the speed difference. You have a very nice looking 86 200X there that you should be proud to own, but the only thing that is going to get you faster now is $$$$, not dreamometers that are reading 70mph.

Dirtcrasher
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Put 600$ into the motor (like I did) on performance parts and it will go faster because it allows for different gearings.

There is a give and take though, stock has power all around, Cams change that curve. Based on what I've seen a full race cam which is only good for drags, I'd get a midrange cam next time myself.....

coltwayne45
09-27-2010, 01:37 PM
well if yall think mine wont go 70mph then why in the hell can i keep up with my friends yamaha dirt bike that goes 70-75?????? and i promise you shaving the fenders helps. i mean think about it car manufacturers are always trying to make their cars more aerodynamic. just think about it and youll see what i mean. and i only weigh bout 135 lbs too so that helps

oldskool83
09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
well if yall think mine wont go 70mph then why in the hell can i keep up with my friends yamaha dirt bike that goes 70-75?????? and i promise you shaving the fenders helps. i mean think about it car manufacturers are always trying to make their cars more aerodynamic. just think about it and youll see what i mean. and i only weigh bout 135 lbs too so that helps

yeah and who old are you? no 86/87 200x with those mods are gonna go 70 mph...maybe a fully built sparks motor...he lets go ask mr sparks this same info.

shaved rear fender on a 3wheeler...prob flipped it and cracked them and cut them like lots of people go. 135lbs yea so your as light as me...and a yamaha dirtbike going 70-75...does it got a speedo and what bike.

i feel like i walked into poo in this thread...anyone else.

if you want a fast 200x it has to have motor work done to it. 18's shaved fenders and a light riders dont mean poo.

could it be as fast as 350x..sure one thats beat and needing engine freshed up.

Dirtcrasher
09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Mine is very fast up top (when it's jetted that is :lol:) but my buds KX250F pulls way far away from me, HE'S doing 70MPH+..........

thefineherb
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
i love my x but its basicly just a glorified mopad.

driving my uncles 86 250r is a adrenaline rush
driving my 200x is a adrenaline rush when you think your gonna loop it, and that's about the only time.

Mr_RPM
09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
if it already goes 70 then why do you want it to go faster? you already have one of the fastest 200Xs made. just be proud of what u have.

Shorty
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM

NOOBS!! I mean come on I have a 86 350x thats bone stock other than a super trapp pipe and lower gearing for hill climbing.(9 tooth front and 41 rear). Anyways about a month ago one of my neighbors ha A 86 200x all restored n' stuff. And the motor was fairly modified. The motor had a high comp BAPP 13.25 piston,porting, cam, cam springs,20 inch hole shots K/N air filter,DG pipe etc etc. The guy is the SAME weight as I am (150 pounds) and has the same riding experience as I do on a trike. And let me tell you there is NO whatsoever comparison. I kill that thing every time! Also if you come to the invasion I will GLADLY drag your bike and then you will see that your 200x is poop slow compared to my 350x:lol::lol:.

Xpress
09-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Why do you need it to go faster? You've already set a world record speed with it.

coltwayne45
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
ight yall can think whatever u want but if your gonna be a smart ass about it dont reply got that??? hope i make myself clear. i aint here 2 listin to peoples smart ass comments. im here 2 get ideas. so if your gonna be one dont talk to me. yall know who yall are. but if your gunna help or give ideas thats fine. otherwise kiss my ass

fabiodriven
09-27-2010, 05:10 PM
ight yall can think whatever u want but if your gonna be a smart ass about it dont reply got that??? hope i make myself clear. i aint here 2 listin to peoples smart ass comments. im here 2 get ideas. so if your gonna be one dont talk to me. yall know who yall are. but if your gunna help or give ideas thats fine. otherwise kiss my ass

Your should take that baby out on the Autobahn.

Shorty
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Ok then.... Whats your budget? I could tell you over 2,500$+ worth of modification you could do to you to your ol 200x to run with 350x's.

coltwayne45
09-27-2010, 05:21 PM
aint got but $200 right now.

Mr_RPM
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM

All 135lbs of it? I can get your 200x to go 120MPH........down a cliff, for cheap too. basically you ask the cheapest way to do something that costs money, then tell us your machine is outrageously fast and then want a serious answer. we tried at first but then it just got funnier and funnier.

Shorty
09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
aint got but $200 right now.

Ok so now are wanting more mid-top end power and no bottom end? Or low-mid power with less top end?

Jerm1179
09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
i say you can have it all.....strap a jato to that b tch and let'r rip.....git it raggg?

coltwayne45
09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
alright Mr.RPM like i said i beleive it is fast. i keep up with my buddys bike. i was just telling yall facts. so u can quit bein an ass. if u wanna give ideas go ahead. And SHORTY im kinda leanin toword more bottom end

Mr_RPM
09-27-2010, 08:12 PM
well for 200 bucks you could probably get a higher compression piston and get it bored to the next size and the gaskets you need (if you know how to do it yourself). this will help with power all around and the piston your running right now is probably original and chances are a little worn out and the fresh bore with the higher compression piston would be a great start to making it faster, and if you get more money later and want to do more, the high comp piston goes with everything, they are like jeans and match with everything. (except turbos lol)
but if you cant do it, or dont have someone to do it for you then the labor will kill you.

UndefinedT
09-27-2010, 09:11 PM
If you have an 83-85, ship your motor to Powroll..it will roll with the big boys when you get it back.
I don't know much about the 86s sorry.

but you will need to run 104 minimum, use 1/2 fuel lines..drill your petcock so you don't drain the bowl when you have it wide open,
and probably run somewhere in the 38mm carb...preferably a flatslide

I'm talkin,12:1 comp, 6mm stroker, .365 cam, major port work, a free flowin intake system, 1.5 headpipe, free flowin exhaust..
and yeah you'll be smokin..
my 84 kept up with 450s no problem off the line, and through most range..but it dropped flat on top because of the cam...it works best in midrange.

but money wise..you'll have a lightly modded 350x for way cheaper then a fully built 200x..is a fully built 200x alot of fun? HELL YES it is..but it's all about that $$$$$$

Dirtcrasher
09-27-2010, 09:37 PM
The biggest problem is the LH threads on the 86/87 crank. I'd stroke the beyatch in a second, I have 7 motors for the 2nd gen. BUT, Almost every crank is stripped or has play and I have no confirmation that I can get a crank pin, thrust washers, needle bearing and a rod.

THANKS FOR USING THE MANUAL PAST OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shortline came up with a semi-solution, I have to talk with him and build a time bomb that cranks with 112 octane :D

coltwayne45
09-27-2010, 09:58 PM
well the good thing is if i was to bore it i already have a complete gasket set. it came with the trike. so that saves a little. i had found a 200x motor for sale for an 86 and it had a comp cam, high compression piston, everything you can imagine for $200 and it ran. but i think he sold it

haggard 2hundie
09-27-2010, 10:07 PM
hey dude i was just trying to keep you from sounding foolish, i could have been a little more tactful

Dirtcrasher
09-27-2010, 10:11 PM
well the good thing is if i was to bore it i already have a complete gasket set. it came with the trike. so that saves a little. i had found a 200x motor for sale for an 86 and it had a comp cam, high compression piston, everything you can imagine for $200 and it ran. but i think he sold it

If you bore it over a few bores, a larger headgasket is needed. I had to get the larger one for .040 (1MM) over or something............ Now I have a copper headgasket, :D

coltwayne45
09-27-2010, 10:19 PM
yeh thats true. come to think of it i dont know what size bore the kit is for. it has no paperwork. and what are you talkin bout haggard? i didnt say nuthin bad to u. i was talkin bout the others who were bein asses at the time lol

trikemessiah
09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
wht size rear tires and rear rims are u runnin on trailprotrailpro 200x? they look badass

code200k
09-27-2010, 11:36 PM
you need to get yourself a big ol can of a muffler:D .maybe a cold air intake too?

goump1995
09-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Bore it over!

Xfile
09-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Only bore a cylinder if it needs to be done...there is always confusion between "boring" and a "big bore". Say your max overbore on you engine is 0.090(0.090 over does not make your engine a "big bore") and you bore it to this point because you think it will make more power: all you did was make your cylinder walls paper thin and gained maybe 4cc's. This is not going to give you more power. A "big bore" is a cylinder that has been modified to except a larger cylinder sleeve or is a aftermarket cylinder designed for a larger piston. (ex; 330 cc kit for a 250). Never just "bore" a cylinder thinking you will get a power boost, only bore to correct damage such as out-of-round or deep scratches. If you add a high compression piston and your stock bore is within spec, just have it honed and your good to go.

coltwayne45
09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
wht size rear tires and rear rims are u runnin on trailprotrailpro 200x? they look badass

thanks man! and the wheels are 18" DWT brand, and the tires are 18x11x10 Fast Trekkers there the style to the right in the pic...http://www.precisionpowersports.com/products/Tires/ITPTires/FastTrakker.jpg http://fstg.motosport.com/motographics/images/products/atv/wheels/douglaswhl07quadrk.jpg

coltwayne45
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Only bore a cylinder if it needs to be done...there is always confusion between "boring" and a "big bore". Say your max overbore on you engine is 0.090(0.090 over does not make your engine a "big bore") and you bore it to this point because you think it will make more power: all you did was make your cylinder walls paper thin and gained maybe 4cc's. This is not going to give you more power. A "big bore" is a cylinder that has been modified to except a larger cylinder sleeve or is a aftermarket cylinder designed for a larger piston. (ex; 330 cc kit for a 250). Never just "bore" a cylinder thinking you will get a power boost, only bore to correct damage such as out-of-round or deep scratches. If you add a high compression piston and your stock bore is within spec, just have it honed and your good to go.

ill probabbly just get a weisco piston for the stock bore. that should help a little. and i heard you can find thm on sale for $50, is that true?

oldskool83
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
ill probabbly just get a weisco piston for the stock bore. that should help a little. and i heard you can find thm on sale for $50, is that true?

haha try over 100 bucks there bucarooo! id ride it how it is, you'll waste $200 in parts alone for a little more snap. save for 250r or somthing.

coltwayne45
09-28-2010, 01:56 PM
i might just leave it how it is, its fun as hell. all my friends love it to. and i grew up on 3 wheels and all my friends thought i was crazy cuz i wont own anything exept a 3wheeler. and now all of the ones who said i was crazy got inspired by my new one and now there all getting one lol