PDA

View Full Version : How to rebuild front shocks on a 350X?

Cuztom Racing
09-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Can anyone give me the run down on how to rebuild the front shocks on a 350x and what all new parts I may need?

Cuztom Racing
09-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Or they may not need rebuilding but the seals are leaking and the seals may just need replacing. Any help on how to do that would be great too.

Grizzlypeg
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
You need the service manual so that you have diagrams. Typically you remove the forks from the triple clamps, unscrew the caps and remove the spring(s). Carefully pry up the dust seals to reveal a circlip. You remove the circlip. You drain the oil and remove the screw from the bottom of the forks. An air impact wrench helps. You can then pull the fork tube along with the seal and baffle out of the fork housing. You clean it all up and replace the seal, and reassemble. I used ATF for fork oil. Not sure what they call for on a 350x.

devilman
09-23-2010, 02:22 PM
i was instructed by a member to remove the very bottom bolt first. if you can't get it out easily don't continue to try, it will stripe out. i sprayed mine with some pb blaster and let it soak and make sure you use a long breaker bar. wrap the tubes in towels or something and put it in a vise. once you get that out it is a breeze getting everything else out and the cap doesn't pose as big of a danger when its loosened up.

Dirtcrasher
09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Get it apart, then get any OEM stuff you can - it's all fairly cheap......

Use the damping rod from the 83/84 250R and a bit more oil and the fork action is much better.