PDA

View Full Version : Who know about making plastic tanks?... Short track tank/shroud clone intrest

laidout2times
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I know IMS and clarke make aftermarket replacement tanks. I know that there was talk a while ago about making some 86/7 KXT tanks. Any chance any of the companies would make aftermarket short track tanks/shrouds? Id be happy to donate shrouds for the mold. I figure the days of finding NOS kits are gone. Plus a NOS kit is more worthy to a frame off show bike versus a rider.

Most people I know (for riders bikes) just find a usable tank grind the tripple stops and fab the brackets/hoses.

Im sure alot of the ICE guys would be into this. I for sure would take 2 sets.

I figure the longer metal frame mounts would have to be fabricated and a mold of the tank made.

Any Idea of a starting point or who to call?

Thanks!

dcreel
09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
DC plastics would be your best bet. Although I don't know if they make gas tanks or not. They even make repop Tri-Z parts now.

ceaserthethird
09-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Well last i heard was they Discontinued the Short track Tank, I bought one of the last ones Black in color.

Not Sure how true this is, if they still make the Short Track Tank it will come in BLACK.

Same goes for the Normal 250R Tank Black in Color.

Dirtcrasher
09-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Talk to Honda200X1987, he seems to be getting all the plastic work he wants.

Who made that last batch of Tecate tanks 84/85? Clarke??

laidout2times
09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Do you plan on ever getting rid of it? LMK if you do. Also, do you have the part #? I was under the assumption they were all long discontinued. I could care less what color it is as I plan on riding this one. I can make a black red scheme work.

Ill drop 87 a PM too if hes been getting alot of work done.

Thanks guys.

Well last i heard was they Discontinued the Short track Tank, I bought one of the last ones Black in color.

Not Sure how true this is, if they still make the Short Track Tank it will come in BLACK.

tundrawillie
09-26-2010, 06:33 PM
I can make short tank shrouds with originals to make the plugs. Carbon fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass, etc. I really don't see why I couldn't make tanks from the fabrics listed using epoxy resin. I'm just getting back into ATCs after several years. Lots of ideas in my head.

Billy Golightly
09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
I've got a few short track tanks (3, I think?) DC Plastics makes the scoops in plastic. I have a set and they are pretty nice actually. A set of carbon fiber shrouds (real ones) would be cool but pretty spendy. I'm not sure if you could do a real carbon fiber gas tank. I know the injection/blow molding machines to make a plastic gas tank is insanely expensive. Your talking tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to machine the dies and stuff the tanks would be formed in.

tundrawillie
09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
A two part female plug would work. Using prepreg carbon fiber, I can achieve results similar to the autoclave process to gain the strength CF offers. I'll try it using one of my OEM tanks in the next few weeks.

UndefinedT
09-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Do you guys like do ice racing? Is that why you don't just make your own tank?
I have a tank cut for short track..it was easy my father said.

Cagiva..pin it to win it! Fast as hell lol..wish I could find me one of those

Here's my tank
http://img255.imageshack.us/g/dsc0357i.jpg/

I actually wouldn't mind a short track plastic tank also..count me in

Cuztom Racing
09-26-2010, 07:45 PM
carbon fiber sounds sweet! PM sent

sblt500r
09-26-2010, 11:05 PM
i've seen carbon fiber gas tanks on factory race mx bikes. think it was yamahas or suzukis. so its possible. also seen airboxes, subframes, and frames.

STROK'IN-2SMOKE
09-27-2010, 01:12 AM
A, I'm INTERESTED as my bike's tanks faded and has no rad shrouds. keep us updated on what you find.
If we find nothing it would be tight if all us Tecate fools could pitch in 2 bucks each into a jar and see how much we'd save for someone to loan us the injuction mold machine as my dad knows how to run one but we would need a machinist to make the mold. Would a cnc dude be able to make one???

Cuztom Racing
09-28-2010, 02:11 AM
We run alot of carbon fiber and titanium on our drag bikes. Motor mounts, handle bars, wheelie bars, etc. Its cool stuff but does cost some jack!

tundrawillie
09-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Faded tanks can be sanded and buffed out. I've done quite a few over the years. It's work, but the results are amazing.

laidout2times
10-21-2010, 03:55 AM
bump.... whats the word on the stock tank clone?

tundrawillie
10-22-2010, 06:51 PM

What's the honda part number(s) for ths short rack stuff?

NINJA
10-22-2010, 07:40 PM
I've got a few short track tanks (3, I think?) DC Plastics makes the scoops in plastic. I have a set and they are pretty nice actually.

The fitment is a little off on them (think old Maier plastics), but they are tough as hell! It would be really nice to see some ST shrouds made from that duraflex glass.