PDA

View Full Version : 250r Kicker Gear Slipping

MagicJames
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I know that the 250r kicker gear washers are no longer available. So how are we getting around this?

Hmm :/

Dirtcrasher
09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Didn't the 89 go to the single sleeve versus the sleeve and 2 washers on the ATC's??

Anyhow, what do those washers matter in terms of slipping?? If were talking 85/86 250R??

Wanna buy a whole set I bought from a crate motor, shaft, gears and all ?? :D

MagicJames
09-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah, i need the sleeve... or the washers. Either way.

MagicJames
04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Still can't figure this one out. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dirtcrasher
04-18-2011, 09:58 AM
^ sure, 2 new gears and a shaft, or known low usage gears........

I honestly can't see how just swapping the shaft fixes anything; I imagine it's merely the length of the old sleeve plus 2 washers and Honda decided thrust washers weren't needed there. That my guess.........

MagicJames
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Maybe I'll have to make some new thrust washers, do they have any concavity or are they flat?

Dirtcrasher
04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
They are flat, which leads me to believe they don't play much of a roll in the gears catching and just seem to take up the space between the parts........

MagicJames
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
That's the part thats slipping. The gears are tight, just the spacers are missing to make it appropriately work.

Gonna see if i can buy some regular washers, grade 8, drill them out to appropriate size then have them lapped to flatness?

What do youthink?

Dirtcrasher
04-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I think thats a horrible idea............

Thrust washers are just that, they take up lateral movement without damaging/scoring the adjacent part.

McMaster Carr has every size/thickness washer known to man. I'm certain you can find something easier there to work with. And 20mm OEM is still available, make sure the collar hasn't shortened up, get out a micrometer and check the specs.

Does that big gear come off towards those washers/spacers? or does it butt up against a shoulder on the kicker spindle? And come off the short or back side?

I haven't had a LC R apart for awhile now.........

MagicJames
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
The washers are not available, if you can find them I'll take 10

Dirtcrasher
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Hmmm, shows other parts discontinued but not the washers? You would still have to check the spacer length. How thick should they be, I can get you a link...... The OD by the case may have some room to grow, I'd need to see pics or confirm that. Sometimes you cannot get the EXACT Honda OEM OD with a given ID but the thickness is sold in thousandths..........

Is the solid 87 and up TRX spacer DC'd too??

Also, please answer my other question, does the big gear pull off the spindle with the spindle guts in place? or does it butt against a clip or a shoulder on the spindle shaft?

MagicJames
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I dunno, i'm gonna have to go home and check, been at work and school all day.

MagicJames
04-24-2011, 06:45 PM
yes the gear comes off towards the kick starter. It is not held on by anything.

what are the overall Length specs of the spacer?

Dirtcrasher
04-24-2011, 08:44 PM
If the book doesn't show the spec, someone will have to measure one for you......