PDA

View Full Version : Alright anyone got a little tip on busting down tires

John-Boy
09-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Switching from one set of rims to another and can't get the bead to break, tried standing and jumping (worked for one but not this one) can't get my biggest C-clamp to bite in close to the rim, next step is chucking it under the front of my truck with a jack,

Unless somebody here has a trick that works tires are 22/11/8 if that matters

xxllmm4
09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I have just done 8 in the last two weeks :mad: I got a 200s about a month ago and it came with a bunch of extra tires and wheels, they all needed patched, had rocks in them, water or something so they all needed to come off. First off let me say they suck!

This is the only way we could get them off with what we had, we tried a lot of youtube methods and none worked. Take a large drum brake about 9" ID put it over the rim and drive up it with a truck, 4 WD low if you have it. A lot of people will take a 4x4 board place it next to the rim and drive up on it, we had no luck with that method.

Jordon

fabiodriven
09-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I just drive over the sidewall of the tire with a truck. That usually works.

harryredtrike
09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I just drive over the sidewall of the tire with a truck. That usually works.

i also use a 2 by 10 and the truck.drive up like a ramp

oldskool83
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
soap water, drive over it...but i find it just as easy to take them to a dealer and pay $10 to change 2 tires these days.

tri again
09-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I've got some older tapered bolt together rims with no lip and a few had been actually cut off somehow.

The 'newer' style car types with the lip means you only have to break them an inch or so before they
drop loose.

Not sure how, but the local tire store does them for 8 bucks each.

It's also one of the things I look for when buying a trike, not that it matters.

I usually just cringe and buy them anyway.

My last tapered bolt rim took me 6 hours and life is just too short

Jeepermc
09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I use a high lift jack foot and something heavy to do mine...Some stock wheels are nearly impossible though without professional help.

I've also used the tongue jack of my trailer.

John-Boy
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks all got a few more things to try,

Here's a question though what would cause all of the nylon cords to seperate inside a tire, the wooly boogers i'm taking off looks like a rats nest. the side walls were dry cracked a would not hold air but i was thing of tubing them for a differnt wheeler i have but don't think i am now after seeing this

vector292
09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
we always leave a bit of air in them and not let them go completly flat and its way easyer.

Ironbnder
09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I use the "drive on them with the truck" method, but I have a 4" piece of pipe welded to a peice of plate metal that is cut out to go halfway around the rim and sit just on the bead. This has always worked well for me.

A plate made to go all the way around the bead just larger than the rim and a shop press is very effective. This is what my local atv shop does.

Or a good tire hammer also works wonders. That is what alot of tire shops use. You just have to know how to use it.

John-Boy
09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Well got one side then the Ol lady had to take my tire changer to the store, one more side on this one and one more to go

dirtjunkie85
09-21-2010, 05:38 PM
i just took the ramps that i use to drive my truck up onto to change the oil and placed the edge of them close to the bead and drove up on it with my truck it worked great.

Jeepermc
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Usually the cords come apart on the side wall if they are ridden flat for a long period of time...Or they are just really old....

CrkdLtr
09-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Pick up one of these gems from Habor Freight, use a ratchet strap to keep the wheel from moving and you're good to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2573.jpg

jb2wheels
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
If I could find a shop near me to swap them fro $10 or less each, that's what I'd do. Otherwise, I drive over them with the van and fight them with the tire irons.

code200k
09-27-2010, 07:34 PM
If I could find a shop near me to swap them fro $10 or less each, that's what I'd do. Otherwise, I drive over them with the van and fight them with the tire irons.

wow is it that hard to find a shop for that price? at my job we do tires on cars and trucks for 10 bucks

MTS
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Get good with one of these if you don't have a tire machine!!...and a couple basic bars... Some lube....No problems!!

Curtis-Tecate3
09-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I used to use an old bumper jack from a 70's American car. The one with the square steel base or pad that was like 8x10. put the edge of the base up against the tire and jack up something heavy.

krazykane
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
just order the machine from harbor freight thats what iam about to do .

swampthang
09-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I had to break down a tire tonight that needed a new valve stem put in. I laid a 2x10 board about 4ft long on the side of the tire and drove over it with my truck to break it down. I've fought alot of tires in my time and my words of wisdom is to leave some air in the tires when you try to break them down and set the board as close to the rim as possible and dont give up it takes some time and practice. Im a cheap person and all the shops around me want $10 to $12 to mount a atv tire because they can be such a pain.

Erics350x
09-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Walmarts tire center does em for cheap

swampthang
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Sweet never thaught about walmart mounting atv tires. Ive had them mount some pretty crappy tires for me in the past that was going on a mud truck i had. I swapped rims alot and they hated to see me pull up with my crappy thornbird tires because the sidewall was to stiff they was a nightmare to mount on narrow wheels.

dcreel
09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Walmarts tire center does em for cheap

I tried that, and they left gouges in the aluminum wheels. By the time I got home one of the tires was flat. Wal-Mart no mas for me.

QCR77
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
life was good when walmart was doing mine for $5
then their machine broke while doing a BR wheel and then no mas

Dirtcrasher
09-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Face the FACTS: Some break easier than others......

Some the car and 2x6 work. Leaving a few lbs. in there can help.
Some the Harbor Freight tool works (esp. when bolted to the floor) It has worked for me 75% of the time.
Some go to a tire shop and they usually rip you off...........
Last - I've cut them off and used diagonal (dykes) cutters to chop the steel belts off. Steel wheels and old tires seem the worst.

John-Boy
09-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Well just a little up date i got the bead to break on both sides by using a car ramp and my jeep, but it was for nothing while taking the good tire off the tire split at the bead (broke all of the steel cords) so that tire is useless now.

If it hadn't been free i'd be even more po'd than i am now